In this section...
- Former family estate
- Beautifully refurbished
- 3 acres of landscaped gardens
- Large pool with summer kitchen
We love a house with a bit of history, and this elegant villa has played host to many a distinguished visitor over the years. The property was built for a celebrated Greek industrialist and his Swedish countess wife, who entertained important political figures in grand style throughout the 1970s and 80s. The countess’s classic Scandinavian style has weathered the intervening years beautifully, and whilst the villa has of course been comprehensively modernised, its simple lines, airy spaces and cool neutral décor are charmingly timeless.
The gardens originally belonged to the family estate of Count Capodistrias, a senior diplomat and the first governor of Greece. By today’s standards, the grounds are very extensive, a green haven of more than three acres filled with olive, magnolia and lemon trees, and the slender, candle-like cypresses that give the house its name. The mature trees create a wonderful sense of privacy, whilst still allowing for lovely views towards Corfu town, the sea and the distant mountains on the mainland. The pristine 14-metre swimming pool creates another compelling reason to stay, but if you feel like a swim in the sea, you’ll find a sandy beach and tavernas just a seven-minute drive from Candela.
Its illustrious past lends this villa a certain prestige locally, and today’s guests are also assured of a touch of VIP treatment, courtesy of property manager Markos, a veteran of the luxury Corfu Palace Hotel who’ll be delighted to share his local tips and insights with you.
- 4 bedroom villa (sleeps 2-7)
- Living/dining area with 50” TV (English-speaking news channels)
- Kitchen/diner with oven, hob, microwave, fridge-freezer, dishwasher
- Master double bedroom (180cm x 200m bed) with en-suite bathroom with large overhead shower, dressing area
- Double bedroom (160cm x 200cm bed) with en-suite shower room
- Twin bedroom (90cm x 200cm beds) with en-suite bathroom
- Single bedroom (90cm x 200cm bed) with en-suite bathroom
- Washing machine
- Complimentary WiFi
- Air-conditioned throughout
- Multiple Bose Bluetooth speakers
- Mosquito screens throughout
- Iron, ironing board, hairdryer, pool and bath towels provided
- Outside shaded dining area
- Private swimming pool 6m x 14m (depth 0.60m – 2m)
- Gated property set in 3 acres
- Steps to pool area (only this area may be unsuitable for guests with limited mobility)
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails
* We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
- Mini-market (open every day) 5min drive
- Large supermarket (open Mon – Sat) 5min drive
- Beach (sandy) and taverna 7min drive
- Tavernas/bars (Gouvia marina) 7min drive
- Corfu Town 15min drive
- Corfu Airport 15min drive
Based on the number of people travelling, the following hire car(s) are included in the package price of your holiday:
- 2-3 guests – 1 Group C, Ford Fiesta or similar*
- 4 guests – 1 Group D, Opel Astra or similar*
- 5 guests – 1 Group L, Ford Focus or similar*
- 6 guests – 2 Group C, Ford Fiesta or similar*
- 7 guests – 1 Group C, Ford Fiesta, and 1 Group D, Opel Astra, or similar*
* All our cars include comprehensive insurance with no excess charge. For this particular destination, the undercarriage, tyres, wing mirrors and windscreen are not included in the cover.
Group C – 1.25 litre engine, 1 large and 1 medium suitcase*
Group D – 1.4 litre engine, 2 large and 1 medium suitcase*
Group L – 1.6 litre engine, 2 large and 2 medium suitcases*
The following cars are available as alternatives on request (supplements apply). Please call our travel specialists for details.
Group E1 – Automatic Citroën C3 or similar, 1.4 litre engine, 1 large and 1 medium suitcase*
Group E2 – Automatic Hyundai Matrix or similar, 1.6 litre engine, 2 large and 2 medium suitcases*
Group F1 – Minibus Fiat Doblo 7 seater or similar, 1.6 litre engine, 2 medium suitcases*
Group F2 – Minibus Fiat Scudo 9 seater or similar, 1.5-2.0 litre engine, 2 small suitcases*
Group M – Fiat Tipo Station Wagon or similar, 1.2 litre engine, 3 large and 2 medium suitcases*
* Suitcase sizes are based on a large suitcase being approximately 75cm x 41cm x 31cm, a medium suitcase of approximately 65cm x 46cm x 29cm and a small suitcase of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm.
Our choice of Greek properties is as diverse as the islands themselves, ranging from simple seaside charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal. To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants
A hundred stories unfold on lovely Corfu… Tales of gods and goddesses, Phoenicians and Venetians, vibrant towns and sleepy villages. There’s also a rich natural history of mountains, olive groves, fertile valleys and a coastline dotted with picturesque coves, sandy beaches and rocky inlets. Follow in the footsteps of Lawrence and Gerald Durrell with a luxurious retreat to Corfu’s North East, near Agios Stephanos, or venture North West, to enjoy more sandy beaches and scenic coastal drives.
To help you make the most of your luxury holiday in Corfu, our collection includes luxury villas and a charming waterfront hotel on Avlaki beach. For 2019 we’re delighted to introduce Dolphins and Tribe clubs and activities for 8 to 18 year-olds during summer school holidays. We're also launching the brand-new Simpson Watersports, with equipment hire and lessons with expert instructors.
View holiday Booking Conditions