In this section...
- Regal country house
- Tennis court and private chapel
- Extensive beautiful garden
- Simpson family extras available
- Restaurants/shops 5-minute drive
A regal country house set in park-like grounds, expertly landscaped with precision-placed pines, firs, cypresses and hedges: Villa Don Guido is the archetypal Tuscan villa – and a working winery. The house itself is solid yet elegant; freshly painted yet with a palpable sense of the past. The rooms are high-ceilinged and adorned with crystal chandeliers which lend an added sparkle to the mostly original antique fittings and furniture. And to complete these rather cinematic credentials, the villa is perched on a hillside surrounded by the iconic villages and vineyards which are such a feature of this unmistakable landscape.
Don Guido is more than just an inordinately pretty picture however: with six bedrooms, a tennis court (non professional) and a billiards room, you can make yourselves very much at home here. The vast, illuminated private pool is the centrepiece of the property, perfectly positioned to make the most of the views. The extensive grounds are fully enclosed, making the place feel very private, and if you decide you don’t feel like moving far, then cookery classes, a chef service, wine tasting, tennis lessons, a personal trainer and yoga sessions can all be arranged through the helpful owners, a wealth of local knowledge – and if you decide on Don Guido for a birthday or anniversary celebration, they’ll happily help make any special arrangements for you.
For anyone with a penchant for Tuscan wines, this elegant villa also offers a fascinating insight into the production process. Between the end of August and the end of September (depending on the weather), the grape harvest takes place. For a day at the most, a section of the villa becomes a hive of activity as workmen pipe the grape juice from a container in the back garden into fermentation tanks tucked away in the cellar. You're welcome to watch the whole process or just let them get on with it as you enjoy a day by the pool or explore the many delights of Florence or Lucca. We'll let you know at least a day in advance so you can plan ahead.
The local area
Behind large iron gates and next to a working farm which belongs to the same owners, the villa is on quiet country lane with little passing traffic. Inimitable Florence, birthplace of the Renaissance, is just 25km away, conveniently accessible by car or by train. For more local services, Empoli is about a ten-minute drive, while Vinci, of Leonardo fame, is 20 minutes away. The Leonardo da Vinci museum attracts thousands of visitors a year, but the surrounding countryside still looks much as it did when this great artist and inventor was alive. Lucca, San Gimignano and Pisa are good options for day trips, approximately 45-60km from the villa.
- 6-bedroom villa (sleeps 2-11)
- Large sitting room with open fireplace and dining area
- Pool table room
- Kitchen includes hob, electric oven, microwave, fridge-freezer, dishwasher
- Cloakroom with WC and washing machine
- Two double bedrooms each with en-suite shower room
- Twin and double bedroom with inter-connecting door
- Double bedroom
- Single bedroom
- 2 shower rooms
- Complimentary WiFi
- Outdoor dining area
- Private tennis court (non professional)
- Private gated swimming pool 15m x 7.5m (depth 1.10m – 2.40m)
- Cook service available on request (payable locally)
- In Italy, a daily tourist tax applies for the first week of your stay only, which means that an average of €1.50 per person (12+ years) may be charged. This should be paid in cash to your villa or hotel owner during your stay.
- As part of the wine making process, access to the cellar is required every three months for one day at the most, as well as for a day during the grape harvest, which takes place at any time from the end of August to the end of September. During the harvest, workmen will need access to the back garden as well as the cellar and guests will receive at least a day's notice before their arrival. For health and safety reasons, we advise that young children are not left unsupervised once the work is underway.
- Due to the cooler temperatures, the swimming pool will be closed from 30 September until the end of the season
- Security deposit (£500) required 3 weeks prior to departure.
Simpson family extras
- Complimentary cot and highchair available
- Car seats and booster seats can be provided at a supplement, subject to availability
- To pre-book any of our family extras please call 020 8392 5747
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and email checking*
* We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
- Check in time – 4-8 pm
- Check out time – 10am
- Limite sull’Arno (shops, restaurants, supermarket) 5min drive
- Pisa airport 50min drive
- Florence 1h drive
- San Gimignano 1h 10min drive
- Lucca 1h 15min drive
Although this property is booked on an accommodation-only basis, we can arrange your flights for an extra charge of £25 per person, plus the cost of the flights themselves.
Below are the flight options available, including the most convenient airports in Italy to help you reach your destination as quickly and easily as possible.
|Departure airport||Airline||Flight days||Seasonality|
|London Heathrow||British Airways||Saturday||All season|
|London Gatwick||easyJet||Saturday||All season|
|London Stansted||Ryanair||Saturday||All season|
|Luton Airport||easyJet||Saturday||All season|
|East Midlands||Jet2||Saturday||June - September|
|Departure airport||Airline||Flight days||Seasonality|
|London Gatwick||Vueling||Saturday||All season|
|London City||British Airways||Saturday||All season|
|London Stansted||British Airways||Saturday||All season|
|Luton Airport||Vueling||Saturday||All season|
|Manchester||British Airways||Saturday||June - September|
|Edinburgh||British Airways||Saturday||June - October|
Although this property is booked on an accommodation-only basis, we can arrange car hire for you.
Based on the number of people travelling, the following hire car(s) are available:
- 2 guests – 1 group B, Fiat 500 or similar*
- 3 guests – 1 group C, VW Polo or similar*
- 4 guests – 1 group D, Peugeot 308 or similar*
- 5 guests – 1 group F, Fiat Tipo SW or similar*
- 6 guests – 2 group C, VW Polo or similar*
- 7 guests – 1 group C, VW Polo or similar, and 1 group D, Peugeot 308 or similar*
- 8 guests – 2 group D, Peugeot 308 or similar*
- 9 guests – 1 group D, Peugeot 308 and 1 group F, Fiat Tipo SW or similar*
- 10 guests – 2 group F, Fiat Tipo SW or similar*
- 11 guests – 1 group C, VW Polo and 2 group F, Fiat Tipo SW or similar*
* All our cars include comprehensive insurance with zero excess. For this particular destination, the undercarriage is not included in the cover.
Group B – 1.2 litre engine, 2 medium suitcases*
Group C – 1.6 litre engine, 2 medium and 1 large suitcases*
Group D – 1.6 litre engine, 3 large suitcases*
Group F – 1.6 litre engine, 3 large and 2 small suitcases*
The following cars are available as alternatives. Please call our travel specialists for details.
Group H – Alfa Romeo Giulietta AUT or similar, 1.6 litre engine, 3 large suitcases*
Group G – BMW Gran Tourer Station Wagon or similar, 1.6 litre engine, 3 large and 2 small suitcases*
* Suitcase sizes are based on a large suitcase being approximately 75cm x 41cm x 31cm, a medium suitcase of approximately 65cm x 46cm x 29cm and a small suitcase of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm.
We are a family of eight with three generations aged from 9 months to 64 years having our first holiday together. There was more than enough space and things to do for all of us. The countryside and views from the villa were spectacular. We all had a wonderful time and have been left with wonderful memories that will last a long time. Was worried that the villa would not match the photos on your website, these worries proved needless in fact the photos did not do it justice. Many thanks to Simpson Travel staff for their assistance.
Sheila Morton– September 2018
Villa Don Guido is a fantastic villa set in beautiful gardens with spectacular views. A number of areas to eat outside and the use of a chef for meals was excellent. A brilliant place for a holiday with children, and, in our case, grandchildren. The villa exceeded our expectations.
A Rasmussen – May 2018
What an amazing way to celebrate my 50th birthday with all the family... A magical spot. We shall all look back at this time with very fond memories!
The Gem Family – July 2017
This was a wonderful holiday, hopefully we can come again next year!
Bhavishya – July 2017
It was a unique experience for us and our family from Connecticut and the UK. The grandchildren were always occupied with swimming, tennis, billiards and gelato each day. The train journey to Florence was great. Alfredo's vineyard tour was very informative and the wine tasting was great, we had sips of various wines after a long lay off alcoholic drinks. The dinner service after the wine tour was out of this world. In all it was an experience to remember till the next trip. Thank you for providing us with all the amenities.
Mrs Champa – July 2013
We enjoyed this experience from minute one. We had a blast in the pool and playing tennis under the lights at night. The food from the chef was divine and spending time in the billiards room was awesome. We made memories that we will never forget and most of that was down to the quality of the villa. Thank you for everything you did to make this visit as enjoyable as it was. Hopefully we can come back soon!
Shah Family – July 2013
A beautiful Villa in the Tuscan countryside. Great surroundings, swimming pool, tennis court and games (billiards table). Location is great, very near to Florence, close to Lucca and Montelupo. Alfresco dining is great. Best pasta cooked by Signoria Fani. Francesca and Alfredo really looked after us. Thank you until we return again.
Ms Gosrani – June 2013
Our choice of Italian properties is diverse, ranging from simple charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal.
To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
From the moment you arrive in Tuscany, you are invited to share in its grand passions and indulgent pleasures – world-famous wine, mouth-watering food and epic histories. Each of Tuscany’s ten provinces has its own unique personality, but wherever you stay, you’ll find yourself surrounded by a verdant patchwork of olive groves, cypress trees and vineyards. From the birthplace of the Renaissance, Florence, to the narrow streets of hilltop San Gimignano, Tuscany makes for a stunning escape.
To complete the picture, explore our collection of handpicked villas, boutique Simpson Hotels and charming apartments or discover our Tuscan Wandering programme to truly immerse yourself in the local culture.
View holiday Booking Conditions