In this section...
- Romantic suites with private pool
- Magical mountain views
- Understated luxury
- Ideal for walkers
- Flexible stays available (minimum 3 nights)
Advance Registration... select your dates and reserve your 2023 holiday online, with a fully refundable deposit of £500.
Idyllic is a word that gets bandied around quite a bit in travel brochures, but at this heavenly spot in Moni village near Sougia, we think we’ve found somewhere that truly defines the superlative. Comprising just 12 romantic suites, each with its own small pool, the Monastery Estate is an idyllic spot to escape for a few days and revel in timeless, unspoilt landscapes and the deep peace of a bygone age.
The philosophy here is to offer a pampered, service-orientated experience in harmony with the natural surroundings, achieved through contemporary, pared-back design and staff who work hard to anticipate your needs. The suites are elegant and uncluttered, clearing the way for glorious mountain views that may well inspire you to tackle at least part of this area’s most celebrated attraction: the Samaria Gorge. Private transfers are available to facilitate this iconic hike, but if you prefer a less-trodden path, there are other more local gorge walks, boat trips and a highly recommended driving route from nearby Sougia over the mountains to Paleochora. While the views offer nourishment for the soul, The Monastery Estate also caters to more earthly pleasures, with an excellent restaurant serving exquisite local fare, and a mini spa with sauna and hamam. And this being Crete, you don’t have to choose between mountains and sea; it’s just eight minutes by car to the beach and laid-back resort village of Sougia, where you’ll find a wide choice of tavernas, cafes and a few artsy shops, all infused with a pleasantly bohemian vibe that seems to enhance the delightfully stress-busting properties of this sleepy southern region.
Situated around 60km from Chania town, The Monastery Estate is for those who want to see a wilder side of Crete without compromising on comfort; we recommend a stay of 3 nights or more which may be combined with one of our Simpson Hotels or villas to make a unique 7 or 10-night holiday.
Good to know... All Simpson Travel stays of 3 nights or more at The Monastery Estate include a complimentary meze platter and a bottle of local wine. Why not add a 3-night stay to your villa holiday? For prices, visit: 10-night holidays in Greece.
Explore our pre-bookable experiences in Crete
- 1-bedroom suites with double bedroom and en-suite shower room
- Small private pool
- Mountain views
- Complimentary WiFi
- A la carte daily breakfast included
- Luxury bath amenities including bathrobes and slippers
- Flat-screen TV, safe box, mini bar and coffee machine
- Reception/concierge service
- Access to indoor spa wellness centre and complimentary use of sauna included
- Spa treatments and massages available by arrangement, including sole use of spa (payable locally)
- Laundry service
- Taxi transfer to major gorges by arrangement (payable locally)
- Private cookery class by arrangement (payable locally)
- Stays of 3 nights or more include a complimentary meze platter and a bottle of local wine
- In Greece, a nominal visitor tax applies, known as the Overnight Stay Tax, which varies depending on the accommodation. During your stay, €0.50 per room per night must be paid locally in cash, and will be collected either by the property owner or our local representative on their behalf.
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails. We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
- Beach (Sougia) 8min drive
- Tavernas/shops (Sougia) 8min drive
- Agia Irini gorge 25 min drive
- Samaria gorge 50min drive
- Chania town 1hr 25min drive
- Chania airport 1hr 40 min drive
Based on the number of people travelling, the following hire car(s) are included in the package price of your holiday:
- 2 guests – 1 Group C2, Fiat Grande Punto or similar*
* All our cars include comprehensive insurance with no excess charge. For this particular destination, the undercarriage, tyres, wing mirrors and windscreen are not included in the cover.
Group C2 – 1.2-1.4 litre engine, 1 large suitcase*
The following cars are available as alternatives on request (supplements apply). Please call our travel specialists for details.
Group D2 – 1.4 litre engine, 2 large suitcases
Group CA – Automatic Fiat Grande Punto or similar, 1.2-1.4 litre engine, 1 large suitcase*
Group D3 – Skoda Octavia or similar, 1.4 - 2.0 litre engine, 3 large suitcases*
Group DA3 – Automatic Seat Toledo or similar, 1.4 - 2.0 litre engine, 3 large suitcase*
Group L2 – Skoda Yeti or similar, 2.0 litre engine, 3 large suitcases*
* Suitcase sizes are based on a large suitcase being approximately 75cm x 41cm x 31cm, a medium suitcase of approximately 65cm x 46cm x 29cm and a small suitcase of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm.
Really had a fabulous experience using Simpson Travel for the first time. We travelled to Crete and had all our flights and car hire organised! The choice of accommodation that Simpson Travel organised was superb. Cannot recommend the Monastery Estate enough! It was so relaxing with our own pool!
Helen Glynn, May 2022
Our choice of Greek properties is as diverse as the islands themselves, ranging from simple seaside charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal. To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
The soaring White Mountains, known in Greek as the Lefka Ori, are at the heart of West Crete’s dramatically beautiful landscape and the villages in their foothills offer traditional Cretan fare in glorious abundance – that’s if Chania’s twinkling harbour lights and waterfront dining don’t entice you first. Spring brings an abundance of flowers, turning hiking trails and gorges into welcome destinations for walkers, and in summer, the many beaches offer sun worshippers a choice of scenic locations to spread their towels.
Explore our pre-bookable experiences in Crete
View holiday Booking Conditions