In this section...
- Beautifully situated Simpson Hotel
- Intimate and charming
- Six elegant en-suite rooms with sea views
- Sole occupancy for larger groups available
- Walking distance to Mochlos
- Adult Only except during July and August
Reserve your 2024 holiday online with a fully refundable deposit of £500. Simply select your preferred dates or find out more here.
NEW FOR 2023
Good to know...In August we are happy to offer Mochlos Blue to larger groups requiring sole occupancy. Please see Mochlos Blue - Exclusive Use or contact our Destination Specialists for further details.
In a remarkable seafront setting, intimate Mochlos Blue in eastern Crete is a magical addition to the Simpson Hotel Collection. Recently refurbished to our exacting standards, it ticks all the boxes – location, style and comfort alongside some beautifully individual touches that set it apart.
The final ingredient is service, and a stay at Mochlos Blue comes with the promise of a warm and hospitable welcome from the owner George and his parents who have been hosting guests here for over 20 years. Their commitment to offering the thoughtful care and attention to detail that our reputation is built upon comes naturally – so much so that we didn't need to discuss the importance of a ‘Simpson Hotel’ breakfast – they were already serving one. Add to this our own local concierge in Mochlos and we know we have a winning formula.
Just six rooms enjoy all this fabulous spot has to offer; each simply but elegantly furnished, with supremely comfy double bed (three of which can be converted to a twin on request) and opening onto a balcony or terrace with uninterrupted sea views. Breakfast is served down on the pool terrace where the sound of the sea lapping against the shore is both soothing and uplifting in equal measure. It’s a hop and a skip to the sunbeds if a day of quiet repose is just what the doctor ordered and though there is no direct access to the sea from here, it’s only a short walk into Mochlos where the lovely little beach nestles beneath the charming array of cafés and tavernas.
Ideal for couples, Mochlos Blue is a boutique hotel which celebrates its place on the road less travelled. But teenagers also enjoy the freedom of being able to walk into Mochlos and families with children are very welcome in July and August. We may also, on occasion, offer the hotel as a whole for a large group of friends or an extended family gathering.
And enchanting though it is, Mochlos is not the only attraction. There are a number of other pretty villages in the surrounding area including Kavousi in the next bay along, particularly beautiful with a lovely beach, and Monasteraki, a hidden gem en route to Ierapetra with a delightful taverna at the mouth of the Ha Gorge.
At the gateway to the east, our Simpson Hotel in Mochlos offers countless opportunities for discovering a different side of this great island; a hidden Crete that’s often overlooked and every bit as compelling as the tourist trails further west. And therein lies its beauty.
But there’s no obligation to do more than relax and enjoy the moment. A ten-minute stroll from the hotel leads to the lovely waterfront in Mochlos and though it’s a sleepy place in essence, the cuisine is top notch and there’s a wonderfully creative eccentricity at its heart, that keeps it feeling vibrant and draws a discerning crowd back again and again.
Explore Hidden Crete
If you’re keen to see more of Hidden Crete, we are happy to arrange bespoke itineraries in May and October, combining a stay at Mochlos Blue with one or more of our other hotels in the east of the island; Palm Tree Suites - Artemis Hotel and Breezes @ Glaros Beach. Please call our Destination Specialists for further information.
View our Hidden Crete video>
- Six room Simpson Hotel
- Eros - Ground floor, double room with en-suite and sea facing balcony (
- Fortuna - Ground floor, larger double room with en-suite and sea facing balcony
- Boreus - Upper floor, double room with en-suite and sea facing balcony
- Chronos - Upper floor, double room with en-suite and sea facing balcony
- Atlas - Upper floor, larger double room with en-suite and sea facing balcony
- Dionysus - Upper floor, larger double room with en-suite and sea facing balcony
- Double room (180cm bed) - Eros, Boreus and Chronos can also be made up as a twin on request
- En-suite shower room with basin and WC
- Small fridge
- Tea/coffee-making facilities
- Iron, ironing board, hair dryer, bath and pool towels
Please note, families are welcome at Mochlos Blue between 11 July and 04 September 2023.
- Complimentary WiFi
- Daily breakfast included
- Air-conditioned throughout
- Reception and Local Concierge
- Poolside breakfast area
- Naturally filtered saltwater swimming pool 17m x 8m (120cm - 150cm depth)
- Pool bar
- Twice weekly cleaning and linen change
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails*
* We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
National tourist licence (EOT): 1040K113K2829801
- Kolympakia Beach 7min walk
- Loutres Beach 15min walk
- Tavernas/restaurants (Mochlos) 10min walk
- Basic shops/supermarket (Mochlos) 10min walk
- Boat hire (Mochlos) 10min walk
- Ierapetra 45min drive
- Agios Nikolaos 45min drive
- Sitia 45min drive
- Sitia airport 40min drive
- Heraklion airport 1hr 15min drive
Based on the number of people travelling, the following hire car(s) are included in the package price of your holiday:
- 2 guests – 1 Group C2, Fiat Grande Punto or similar*
*All our cars include comprehensive insurance with no excess charge.For this particular destination, the undercarriage, tyres, wing mirrors and windscreen are not included in the cover.
Group C2 – 1.2-1.4 litre engine, 1 large suitcase*
The following cars are available as alternatives on request (supplements apply). Please call our travel specialists for details.
Group D2 – Hyundai i30 or similar, 1.4 litre engine, 2 large suitcases*
Group CA – Automatic Fiat Grande Punto or similar, 1.2-1.4 litre engine, 1 large suitcase*
Group D3 – Skoda Octavia or similar, 1.4 - 2.0 litre engine, 3 large suitcases*
Group DA3 – Automatic Seat Toledo or similar, 1.4 - 2.0 litre engine, 3 large suitcase*
Group L2 – Skoda Yeti or similar, 2.0 litre engine, 3 large suitcases*
* Suitcase sizes are based on a large suitcase being approximately 75cm x 41cm x 31cm, a medium suitcase of approximately 65cm x 46cm x 29cm and a small suitcase of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm.
A warm welcome, a family atmosphere, all creature comforts. Unbeatable views, fantastic breakfast, lovely pool. The Mochlos Blue team have looked after us so well. Efcharisto! Planning our next visit already!
Sue & Tom, May 2023
A memorable stay at this stunning hotel. Room was beautifully appointed, very comfy bed and tasteful decor. Amazing breakfasts from Poppy with homemade jams and local produce. Nikos our rep was most helpful in suggesting places to visit, Toplou Monastery, museum and winery a must. All in all, a most enjoyable stay. A huge thanks to Poppy, Pavlos, Georgos and especially Nikos. Another wonderful Simpson holiday.
Simon and Hazel Davies, May 2023
Heading east from the exclusivity of Elounda and the elegance of lakeside Agios Nikolaos reveals a rugged landscape harbouring the soul food of a simpler life. Our portfolio here celebrates the road less travelled, transporting guests from the mainstream to a hidden Crete that's often overlooked. From gorges and caves to the mountain communities of the beautiful Lasithi Plateau, from the tucked away waterfront village of Mochlos in the north to the timeless landscapes and homely tavernas surrounding Makrigialos in the south – this is Crete at its most warmly welcoming, without artifice, where you’re a guest and never a tourist.
Discover it for yourself by viewing our handpicked villas and hotels in The Gulf of Mirabello & South East Crete.
BookingMultiple.mustache file to be converted
View holiday Booking Conditions