In this section...
- Traditional French Longère house
- Beautifully restored
- Private heated and gated swimming pool
- Close to Bordeaux vineyards
- Beaches 30-minute drive
In a small hamlet, surrounded by vineyards and sunflower fields, lies this quintessentially French Longère house, a popular sight in Charente – a region also famed for its fine wine, long hot summers and fertile agricultural landscape.
Beautifully restored, the property and its south-facing grounds exude a sense of calm, from the tranquil views towards the Gironde estuary to the open-plan living space, a tasteful combination of period furniture and soothing, neutral tones.
Relaxing family days can be spent around the saltwater swimming pool, heated to an inviting 28 degrees and secured with a locking gate for peace of mind. Sea and sand lie just a half-hour drive from the property, where the gentle surf is equally suitable for young families.
With a boulangerie, charcuterie and wine merchants in the neighbouring village and plenty of indoor and outdoor dining spaces around the property, food and wine lovers will want to get creative in the country-style kitchen. Or if holidays are all about dining out, several highly recommended brasseries and family-run restaurants are all within a three kilometre radius. Then of course there’s the wine. You’re just across the river from the vineyards of Bordeaux and a few minutes’ drive from a château producing Cognac and Pineau, and you can taste a glass or two within beautiful woodland gardens.
The local area
A 40-minute coastal drive brings you to Royan, a popular holiday destination with the French. Arrive early to explore the fish market, enjoy local oysters and mussels for lunch and soak up the 1950s vibe on ultra-chic beaches. A journey of similar length brings you to Saintes. Said by King François I to be the most beautiful town in France, it offers plenty to see and do, including a Roman amphitheatre, boutique shopping in the old quarter and traditional wooden boat trips along the river.
The Charente-Maritime enjoys the long hot summers and mild winters so necessary for the production of the grapes used to make fine wines and cognac. Located along the Atlantic with 200 kilometres of coastline, the area is a magnificent and exceptional part of France. This is a quiet agricultural area, mostly vineyards and sunflower fields, wheat and maize. For those used to Britain’s congested roads the comparative peace of rural French roads makes driving a pleasure again.
- 4 bedroom house (sleeps 8)
- Occupancy is limited to 8 guests including a maximum of 4 children
- Changeover day – Saturday
- Open-plan living/dining room
- Kitchen with oven, hob, microwave, toaster, kettle, fridge, freezer and dishwasher
- Small twin bedroom
- Shower room
- Double air-conditioned bedroom with en-suite bathroom with separate shower and WC
- Double air-conditioned bedroom with en-suite bathroom with WC
- Double bedroom with en-suite shower room with WC
- Complimentary wifi
- Simpson Travel telephone representative
- Washing machine and dryer
- Cot (linen provided) and highchair
- TV, DVD and CD players
- Central heating (included)
- Air-conditioning in first floor bedroom
- Fans in all other bedrooms
- Lawn croquet
- Covered terrace by pool with fridge
- Private heated salt-water swimming pool 9m x 5m (depth 1m – 2m), fenced, security alarm, corner steps, open mid-May to end September
- Smoking is not permitted inside the house
- All properties with wifi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails*
* We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
- Bed linen, bath and pool towels are provided
Weekly linen change for bookings of one week or more
- Cleaning included on Saturdays for bookings of 2 weeks or more
- Additional cleaning/housekeeping €20 per hour
- All services payable locally
- Prices quoted are subject to change
- Check-in time – 4.00-7.00pm
- Check-out time – 10.00am
La Rochelle 130km
- Ferry ports
Le Havre 627km
- TGV stations
- Charente-Maritime region
- Restaurant (St-Thomas-de-Conac) 8min drive
- Shops (St-Ciers-du-Taillon) 6min drive
- Beach (Meschers-sur-Gironde) 35min drive
- Royan 45min drive
- Bordeaux airport 1hr 5min drive
Although this property is booked on an accommodation-only basis, we can arrange your flights for an extra charge of £25 per person, plus the cost of the flights themselves.
Below are the flight options available, including the most convenient airports in France to help you reach your destination as quickly and easily as possible.
Bordeaux 90km/1hr drive
|Departure airport||Airline||Flight days||Seasonality|
|London Gatwick||British Airways||Sat/Sun||All season|
|London Gatwick||easyJet||Sat/Sun||All season|
|London Luton||easyJet||Sat/Sun||All season|
|Liverpool||easyJet||Sat/Sun||12 May – 1 Sep (Sat)
1 Jul – 2 Sep (Sun)
|Belfast||easyJet||Saturday||12 May – 1 Sep|
|Edinburgh||Ryanair||Saturday||31 Mar – 27 Oct|
|Southampton||Flybe||Saturday||26 May – 25 Aug|
|Birmingham||Flybe||Sat/Sun||31 Mar – 2 Sep|
Bergerac 165km/1hr 55min drive
|Departure airport||Airline||Flight days||Seasonality|
|London City||British Airways||Sunday||All season|
|London Stansted||Ryanair||Sat/Sun||All season|
|East Midlands||Ryanair||Sunday||25 Mar – 21 Oct|
|Liverpool||Ryanair||Saturday||31 Mar – 27 Oct|
|Leeds Bradford||Jet2||Saturday||26 May – 29 Sep|
|Southampton||Flybe||Sunday||1 Apr – 9 Sep|
|Birmingham||Flybe||Sat/Sun||1 Apr – 9 Sep|
It was the most beautiful and peaceful villa and was so well equipped with everything you could ever need!
Mrs Baker – June 2016
Our choice of French properties is diverse, ranging from simple charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal.
To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
From the Dordogne’s forest-covered hillsides to the undulating countryside of Lot-et-Garonne, these fertile landscapes have long played their part in human history – the famous Lascaux cave paintings testify to that. For a taste of spectacular coastline on your holiday, head to Charente-Maritime or find a lakeside beach that’s perfect for a picnic – this region is known for its abundant food and excellent wines. Choose a restaurant in an ancient village square and enjoy the sense of history repeated.
And for a place to stay in Dordogne and the South West, explore our collection of luxury villas.
View holiday Booking Conditions