In this section...
- Handsome 18th-century house
- Beautiful countryside setting
- Sweeping valley views
- Private heated swimming pool
- Billiard table
Advance Registration... select your dates and reserve your 2023 holiday online, with a fully refundable deposit of £500.
Perched on a hilltop, this handsome 18th-century manor house is set in the heart of the Dordogne’s Bessède Forest, with tranquil views across seemingly endless wooded valleys and green fields.
In keeping with the area’s historic heritage, the original building has been meticulously restored. Its many exposed beams, tiled floors and open fireplace create a warm and inviting atmosphere, a perfect spot to unwind and put the world to rights over a leisurely meal, a chess challenge or a game of billiards.
As well as four bedrooms on the ground and first floors, this comfortable, family-friendly home includes a converted attic room – ample space for five single beds, children’s pyjama parties and bedtime stories.
Outside, there is plenty of space for little ones to run around. The villa enjoys a tranquil setting in extensive grounds, with woodland and a large lake (300m from the house), which is unfenced so keep an eye on younger children. A pleasant terrace off the kitchen leads to the heated swimming pool surrounded by sunny lawns and you'll also find a spot dedicated to playing boules and a table tennis table.
The local area
The Dordogne River is just 13km away, a spot for fishing, canoeing or even a quick dip. Beautiful, dramatic scenery greets you at every turn and the area is steeped in history: castles perched high over the river valley and charming bastide towns with sun-dappled terrace cafés, not to mention the prehistoric caves, unique to this region.
The perfectly preserved medieval village of Monpazier is just 12km away. Hire a bike there, book a hack with the local riding school or wander its Thursday market. A short drive also takes you to St-Avit-Sénieur with its beautiful 11th-century Benedictine abbey.
The Dordogne region in the heart of the southwest is an area rich in all the delights France has to offer. Beautiful dramatic scenery greets you at every turn: castles perched high over the Dordogne River valley, the spectacular Gouffre de Padirac caves, tranquil rivers winding their way through limestone cliffs. Our earliest artists descended 17,000 years ago into the caves near Lascaux, on the Vézère River, to paint in breathtaking colour the animals they hunted; you can visit a replica cave, as well as many other prehistoric sites in the area. The fortified ‘bastide’ towns of Monpazier, Eymet, Villefranche, and others are remarkably well-preserved witnesses to turbulent times. The mighty donjon of Bourdeilles castle looms imposingly, while Brantôme (the ‘Venice of France’) wears a more serene aspect, the beautiful Benedictine abbey gazing contemplatively down onto the river Dronne.
- 5 bedroom manor house (sleeps 12)
- Living area with large open fireplace and dining table
- Kitchen with oven, hob, microwave, kettle, toaster, coffee maker, fridge, freezer and dishwasher
- Double bedroom with en-suite bathroom (no WC)
- Separate WC
- Master bedroom with en-suite shower room with WC
- Double bedroom
- Twin bedroom
- Bathroom with separate shower
- Separate WC
- Converted attic space with 5 single beds
- Complimentary WiFi
- Simpson Travel telephone representative
- Washing machine and dryer
- Cot (no linen) and highchair
- Telephone (incoming/local calls only)
- Satellite TV, CD player
- Sonos Bluetooth speakers
- Heating (€84 per week)
- Fireplace (wood €38)
- Table tennis
- Billiard table
- Private heated swimming pool 14m x 6m (1.1m – 2.3m), electric security cover, Roman steps, open May to mid-October
- For further information on Terms and Conditions specific to this French property please click here
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails*
* We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
- Bed linen, bath and pool towels are provided
- Weekly linen change for bookings of one week or more
- Cleaning €40 per hour (minimum 2 hours)
- All services payable locally
- Prices quoted are subject to change
- Check-in time – 5.00-7.00pm
- Check-out time – 10.00am
- Ferry ports
Le Havre 763km
- TGV stations
- Dordogne region
- Restaurants (Monpazier) 13min drive
- Shops (Belvès) 14min drive
- Bergerac 50min drive
- Sarlat-la-Canéda 50min drive
- Bergerac airport 50min
Our holiday rep couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. We took our little boy with complex needs and she gave us lots of information about local medical centres, etc., which made us feel really at ease and supported for a first trip abroad with him. Couldn't have asked for more!
Mrs Cantrill – September 2019
What a wonderful week! We didn’t see a cloud until our leaving day. Simpson Secret– Dordogne is a stunning villa and we felt at home for our all too brief stay. We spent the whole week in the pool, drinking delicious wine or visiting the wonderful markets. What a fabulous week!
Chips, Sarah, Max, Charlie, Alice, Sophie, Henry, Josie & Celia – July 2018
We had a really lovely week at Simpson Secret– Dordogne. What a beautiful house. The kitchen is so fantastic and you are able to watch the children in the pool from there. We hadn’t expected it to be so hot, but there is a lovely pool to come back to after visiting the villages and markets. We were just so impressed with the countryside – it was like stepping back in time. We’d recommend the kayaking/canoeing by Saint-Cyprien (Le Plongeoir). A great, great week.
Nick, Laura, Joe, Miles, Beatrix, Andrew, Lulu, Lali, Indy & Airlie – July 2018
Our choice of French properties is diverse, ranging from simple charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal. To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
From the Dordogne’s forest-covered hillsides to the undulating countryside of Lot-et-Garonne, these fertile landscapes have long played their part in human history – the famous Lascaux cave paintings testify to that. For a taste of spectacular coastline on your holiday, head to Charente-Maritime or find a lakeside beach that’s perfect for a picnic – this region is known for its abundant food and excellent wines. Choose a restaurant in an ancient village square and enjoy the sense of history repeated.
And for a place to stay in Dordogne and the South West, explore our collection of luxury villas.
View holiday Booking Conditions