In this section...
- Understated luxury
- Ideal for groups
- Partial air conditioning
- Walking distance to village
- Garden gym room
- Catering service available
2024 Holidays... 2023 Prices
Many of our 2024 holidays are now priced online and with our early bird promise, you can enjoy December 2022 prices when you book by December 2023. Where prices are not yet showing, please use Advance Registration to reserve your holiday. View Price Freeze Terms & Conditions here.
The number of French country houses we’ve seen over the years must be edging close to four figures, yet we can count conversions of the calibre of Le Clos Colombier on just one hand. The original building, now entirely and superbly renovated, is over 900 years old and incorporates a tower that belonged to Chateau Veyrac. From the outside, the house is relatively unassuming, clad in ivy and adorned with simple white shutters. Step through the front door however and you’re transported into design-inspired, divinely decorated spaces that take the very best of the house’s venerable history and add a glossy, 21st century finish.
The Michelin-starred chef owner has extensive high-end hotel experience, which is evident throughout the entire property and its informal-luxury style. Exposed stonework and weathered beams create an elegant framework for a mix of antique and contemporary furnishings, softly luxurious and irresistibly tactile. The castle tower has been given a new life as an intimate cellar bar, and for a less formal approach to your evening refreshments, there’s a further bar with pinball machine. If you’ve aspirations of a Michelin star of your own one day then the Gaggenau kitchen is your perfect cheffy playground, or you can simply sit back and let the personalised catering service take care of you and all your guests.
Sleeping up to 16 in three large suites and two bedrooms, this is a glorious house-party venue for couples, friends or a big family gathering. An 18-metre swimming pool and gym room are at your disposal, nestled into two and a half acres of private parkland. Veyrac village is on the doorstep, and La Chapelle Saint-Martin, a Relais & Châteaux hotel-restaurant run by Le Clos Colombier’s owner, is just a ten-minute drive away.
Please note: The interior of this property has a low staircase banister and windowsills, and a low boundary wall in the outside area. Families with children under 11 are asked to acknowledge by email that children must be supervised.
The local area
For us, this region is a perfect example of la France profonde: authentic, local-focused and an absolute delight for all true Francophiles. Veyrac village sits between two extensive natural parks where you can quietly lose yourself in unspoilt surroundings, and for a change from the pool, there are several swimming and fishing lakes in the vicinity, the largest being Saint Pardoux (30 minutes) with sandy beaches and various watersports. Limoges (20 minutes) is a UNESCO Creative City, offering up medieval half-timbered houses, a grand Gothic cathedral and some serious foodie credentials with far more than just the prized Limousin beef on the menu. Angoulême (90 minutes) has become known as the comic-strip capital of Europe, with extensive wall art throughout the city and a major annual festival. Closer to home, the Oradour Memorial Centre is a poignant and deeply moving record of a tragedy in 1944, when 643 inhabitants of the village were massacred by Nazi soldiers. For a less sombre excursion we suggest Mortemart village (25 minutes), a protected site since 1965 and one of the ‘plus beaux villages de France’.
- 8 bedroom villa (sleeps 2-16)
- Professional-style kitchen with dishwasher, fridge, fridge-freezer, microwave, oven and hob; coffee machine
- Dining room with French doors to front terrace
- Living room
- Small cellar bar (lower ground floor)
- Guest WC
- La Tour: 2-bedroom suite: 1 bedroom with super-king bed, 1 bedroom with bunk beds; bathroom with bath, separate shower, WC; lounge, coffee-making facilities, mini fridge. Air conditioning.
- Sixtine: double room with king-size bed and bathroom with shower and WC; garden views
- Hirondelles: double room with king-size bed and bathroom with shower and WC; village views
- Nuages: 2-bedroom suite: 1 bedroom with super-king bed, 1 bedroom with twin beds (small roof window only); bathroom with bathtub, separate shower, WC; lounge, coffee-making facilities, mini fridge; garden views. Air conditioning.
- Dans Les Arbres: 2-bedroom suite: 1 bedroom with super-king bed, 1 bedroom with twin beds (small roof window only); bathroom with bathtub, separate shower, WC; lounge, coffee-making facilities, mini fridge; garden views. Air conditioning.
- The owner of this villa will consider requests to bring a pet dog (no other pets). Please advise us of the age and breed of your dog, and we will contact the owner on your behalf. The owner reserves the right to refuse the request.
- Complimentary WiFi
- Air-conditioning in the three suites only
- Washing machine (in gym)
- Iron, ironing board and hairdryer provided
- Safe, bathrobes and slippers and toiletries in all bedrooms
- Green Egg Barbecue
- Gym room in grounds
- Wooden cot or travel cot available on request
- Private heated swimming pool 18m x 5m, depth 1.2 - 1.7m, electric security cover
- Sun loungers and parasols
- Parking for 3-4 cars, further free parking opposite
- Housekeeping staff live in adjacent cottage
- Smoking is not permitted in the house
- Please note: The interior of this property has a low staircase banister and windowsills, and a low boundary wall in the outside area. Families with children under 11 are asked to acknowledge by email that children must be supervised.
- For further information on Terms and Conditions for this property please click here
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails*
* We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
- Located in Veyrac village (bar, mini-market with fresh bread)
- Supermarket and restaurants (Verneuil-sur-Vienne, St Gence) 10min drive (6km)
- Limoges city/airport 11km
- Mortemart (one of France’s Most Beautiful Villages) 24km
- Espace Hermeline (leisure base/swimming lake) 40km
Our choice of French properties is diverse, ranging from simple charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal.
To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
From the Dordogne’s forest-covered hillsides to the undulating countryside of Lot-et-Garonne, these fertile landscapes have long played their part in human history – the famous Lascaux cave paintings testify to that. For a taste of spectacular coastline on your holiday, head to Charente-Maritime or find a lakeside beach that’s perfect for a picnic – this region is known for its abundant food and excellent wines. Choose a restaurant in an ancient village square and enjoy the sense of history repeated.
And for a place to stay in Dordogne and the South West, explore our collection of luxury villas.
BookingMultiple.mustache file to be converted
View holiday Booking Conditions