In this section...
- Stunning chateau set in 32 acres
- High standard renovation
- Exceptional décor throughout
- 18 metre heated pool
- Walking distance to village shop and bar
2024 Holidays... 2023 Prices
Many of our 2024 holidays are now priced online and with our early bird promise, you can enjoy December 2022 prices when you book by December 2023. Where prices are not yet showing, please use Advance Registration to reserve your holiday. View Price Freeze Terms & Conditions here.
If ever there was a place to embody the term très chic, it’s Chateau de la Forge. This classic Périgord country house is set in a private, 32-acre estate with carefully tended gardens, wild meadows, mature trees and a picture-perfect brook complete with pretty bridge to transport you across it.
Even the approach is straight out of cinéma verité; wrought iron gates mark the entrance to an avenue of trees which winds its way towards a17th century chateau, where elegant shutters add colour to the pale stone walls and the roofs rise steeply like turrets into the sky.
The interiors are equally impressive; recently renovated and displaying the owner’s immaculate sense of style and good taste. Tessellated or polished wood floors, high ceilings, feature fireplaces and antique furnishings create a sense of grandeur and yet the house retains an elegant informality that is so conducive to a relaxing holiday with friends and family. The kitchen and bathrooms are classically styled with the odd contemporary twist and thoughtful design ensures the whole house strikes a perfect balance between the aesthetic and the practicalities of daily life (though you may be pushed to argue that the spacious billiard room is a necessity).
Outside there are several terraces, perfect for al fresco dining, entertaining or simply sitting back and taking in the splendour of the surroundings. The 18-metre pool is as inviting as can be amongst the vast expanse of lawn, and when you can bring yourself to explore beyond the grounds, there’s a shop in the little village of Pont St Mamet, just a 15-minute stroll away.
Enjoying a privileged position halfway between historic Bergerac and Périgueux, with Dordogne’s prettiest villages and sites all easily accessible within an hour, Chateau de la Forge has it all; position, prestige and panache. What more could you want?
Please note... This property is not included in our early bird price freeze promise.
The local area
Set down a long driveway that leads from a minor road in the timeless countryside of the western Dordogne, the chateau is a peaceful haven, offering great access to the surrounding area. It’s just a mile from the local village, with its grocery store offering fresh bread and a good selection of meats and cheeses. There are also a number of other delightful villages to explore nearby, either on two wheels or four, including Issac, Jaure, Beauregard-et-Bassac and Villamblard.
There’s an excellent Saturday market in Mussidan and from here you can kayak along the Dordogne to experience the beauty of the region from its most iconic river. There’s a lovely lakeside beach at Neufont, a 15-minute drive from the house and the area is well-served by walking and cycling trails.
For a winning combination of restaurants, shops and culture, you will be spoilt for choice in Bergerac, designated a ‘City of Art and History’ by the French Cultural Ministry, whilst further north, the city of Périgueux offers an elegant café culture amidst it’s pretty streets, set against the splendid backdrop of the impressive UNESCO-listed cathedral.
- 6 bedroom chateau (sleeps 12)
- Kitchen includes rangemaster hob, oven & microwave, coffee maker, fridge-freezer, dishwasher
- Dining room with fireplace
- Living room with fireplace
- Sitting room with flat screen TV and Netflix (guests need to use their own password)
- Billiard room with fireplace
- Master bedroom (180cm bed) with ensuite bathroom with shower and WC
- Double bedroom (180cm bed) with ensuite bathroom with shower and WC
- Double bedroom (160cm bed) with ensuite shower room and WC
- Twin bedroom (80cm beds, can be converted into a double on request) with ensuite shower room and WC
- Double bedroom (160cm bed) with ensuite shower room and WC
- Double bedroom (180cm bed) with ensuite shower room and WC
- Complimentary WiFi
- Cot and high chair available on request
- Iron, ironing board, hairdryer
- Simpson Travel pool towels
- Outside dining area and seating areas
- Heated swimming pool 18m (depth 1.2m – 2m), electric cover
- Small selection of bikes for guest use
- Smoking/vaping is not permitted at the property
- Activities nearby include walking, cycling, watersports at lake beach, river kayaking, wine-tasting
- For further information on Terms and Conditions for this property please click here
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails. We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
- Weekly clean and linen change for stays of two weeks or more
- Bike rental and delivery (please enquire)
- All extra services payable locally
- Prices quoted are subject to change
- Check-in time – 5-7pm
- Check-out time – 10am
- Dordogne region
- Pont St Mamet (shops) 15min walk or 2min drive
- Douville (restaurants) 5min drive
- Villamblard (Markets on Mondays and restaurants) 8min drive
- Vergt 13min drive
- Bergerac 20min drive
- Bergerac airport 25min drive
- Sarlat-la-Canéda 1hr drive
A spacious, comfortable well-furnished château, in large grounds and with an excellent outdoor pool - a life-saver during the heatwave! Ideal for a family group with ages from 4 to 74.
Our choice of French properties is diverse, ranging from simple charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal. To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
From the Dordogne’s forest-covered hillsides to the undulating countryside of Lot-et-Garonne, these fertile landscapes have long played their part in human history – the famous Lascaux cave paintings testify to that. For a taste of spectacular coastline on your holiday, head to Charente-Maritime or find a lakeside beach that’s perfect for a picnic – this region is known for its abundant food and excellent wines. Choose a restaurant in an ancient village square and enjoy the sense of history repeated.
And for a place to stay in Dordogne and the South West, explore our collection of luxury villas.
BookingMultiple.mustache file to be converted
View holiday Booking Conditions