In this section...
- Chic contemporary Partner Hotel
- Vineyard setting
- Wine tours and tastings on site
- Excellent restaurant
- Short stays available
Book with confidence...
Read our Covid-19 pledge to find out how you and your money are protected.
Flexible stays… Why not extend your Puglian adventure with a short stay at Masseria Amastuola? Add a 3-night wine tasting experience to your villa holiday or combine a few nights here with a cookery experience at Masseria Le Torri or Masseria Garrappa. With so much to enjoy in this charming region you’ll want to make the moment last. For further details and prices please call 020 8392 5858.
Super-chic Masseria Amastuola is a contemporary homage to the world of wine. Set in over a hundred hectares of organic vineyard with views across to Puglia’s Ionian coast, the Montanaro family’s vision for this striking 15th century masseria has been nearly two decades in the making. Following the acquisition of the land in 2003, their first mission was an ambitious one; the careful relocation of hundreds of ancient olive trees farmed here over the centuries. Many of these stalwarts of the landscape now line the grand approach to the masseria, others sit amongst the vines in little clusters; 24 islands of a dozen or so trees, each serving as a pleasantly shaded spot to convene for wine-tastings and talks.
The vineyards were designed by Spanish landscape architect and philosopher Fernando Caruncho and have been planted in a beautiful wave pattern, a stunning spectacle indicative of the care and attention to detail that continues throughout this immaculate estate. The first vintage was produced in 2010 and the extensive restoration and development of the masseria took place between 2012 and 2016. Masseria Amastuola’s hotel and restaurant are now as well-respected as the highly acclaimed boutique winery; a business which produces an average of two hundred thousand bottles of organic wine each year. Consequently, tastings and tours of the vineyards are a serious affair, though always enjoyed with a few taralli (the delicious local nibble) and never stuffy or superior - you’ll find the hosts to be proud, informative and friendly, perfectly in keeping with their Italian heritage!
Design is minimalist and refreshingly pared back, but the humble origins of Amastuola are still in evidence with an ancient olive press perfectly preserved for all to see and vaulted ceilings adding to the wonderful sense of light and space. The impressive central courtyard acts as an elegant sanctuary at the heart of the hotel, an inviting venue for lunch and dinner or simply to sit and marvel at the splendour of the surroundings. And though the focus is naturally centred around the production of wine, with 36 oak barrels on show containing around 275 gallons of the stuff, there is plenty to recommend a stay here even for the most ardent teetotaller. A magnificent library houses books on a wide range of subjects from philosophy to cookery, a lovely open terrace is home to two infinity pools with views across the Puglian landscape to the sea, and the excellent restaurant attracts diners from miles around.
The 18 suites are spacious, sophisticated and tastefully appointed, with bespoke furnishings, designer baths and sumptuous beds. Some, in the masseria, have private terraces with views across the vineyards, others are housed in a separate building - a supremely luxurious and zen reimagining of its agricultural origins.
Exploring beyond the boundaries of the vineyards, Masseria Amastuola is well-placed for daytrips to Matera, Lecce and the unspoilt beaches of the Salentine Peninsula. Closer to home, Martina Franca, Locorotondo and the villages of the Valle d’Itria are an easy car journey away, as are the eerie gorges of the Terra delle Gravine and the extraordinary cave dwellings in Ginosa and Mottola.
Though a leisurely week at Masseria Amastuola is a joy, we are happy to offer shorter stays for guests looking to extend their villa holiday in Puglia and enjoy a wine-tasting experience at the hotel. Or why not combine a stay here with a few days at Masseria Le Torri or Masseria Garrappa and enjoy a culinary experience as well? Our destination specialists will be happy to arrange a bespoke itinerary to suit your wishes; for further information and prices, please call 020 8392 5858.
- 18 room masseria (sleeps 2)
- 9 rooms
- Indoor seating/dining area
- Restaurant Amastuola
- Wine tasting area and wine cellar
- Outdoor dining area
- Swimming pool
- Vineyard and olive groves
- Parking area
- 9 rooms
- Complimentary WiFi
- Air-conditioning in all rooms
- Mini-fridge, tea and coffee facilities in all rooms
- Bathrobes and slippers
- Daily buffet breakfast included Light lunches and dinners available on request (payable locally)
- Dinner available at Restaurant Amastuola
- Wine tours and wine tastings
- Puglia cooking classes available Laundry service available (payable locally)
- Simpson pool/beach towels provided
- Two shared swimming pools 6m x 14m (depth 1.4m throughout) and 3.5m x 19m (depth 0.6m throughout)
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails*
* We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
- Massafra (shops, restaurants, cafés) 10min drive
- Martina Franca 20min drive
- Taranto 20min drive
- Pulsano (beach) 35min drive
- Castellaneta Marina 35min drive
- Ostuni 55min drive
- Alberobello 50min drive
- Bari 60min drive
- Matera 50min drive
- Lecce 1hr drive
- Bari airport 1hr 10min drive
- Brindisi 1hr 10min drive
This property is priced on an accommodation-only basis. To view details of recommended flights please click here.
We are happy to arrange your car hire, using one of our trusted local suppliers; please ask us about options and prices. All hire cars booked with us include:
- Fully inclusive insurance, with zero excess*
- Free additional driver
When you book your car with us, we'll also make sure the paperwork is done in advance, leaving you free to simply check and sign for the vehicle when you arrive. For further information regarding travel arrangements click here.
* For this particular destination, the undercarriage is not included in the cover.
- 2 guests – 1 group B, Fiat 500 or similar
- 3 guests – 1 group C, Smart ForFour or similar
- 4 guests – 1 group D, Fiat 500L or similar
- 4 guests – 1 group E, VW T-Cross, Seat Arona or similar
- 4 guests – 1 group F, VW T-ROC / Nissan Kadjar or similar
Group B – 1 litre engine, 1 medium suitcase*
Group C – 1.4 litre engine, 2 medium suitcases*
Group D – 1.4 litre engine, 2 medium suitcases*
Group E – 1.6 litre engine, 2 large suitcases*
Group F – 1.6 litre engine, 2 large and 2 small suitcases*
* Suitcase sizes are based on a large suitcase being approximately 75cm x 41cm x 31cm, a medium suitcase of approximately 65cm x 46cm x 29cm and a small suitcase of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm.
Our choice of Italian properties is diverse, ranging from simple charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal.
To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
There’s a different side of Italy to discover on a holiday in Puglia – the land of the trulli, ancient olive groves and historic towns that take you on a journey from Byzantine to Baroque. And then there are the countless beaches and beach clubs that capture the diversity of this absorbing destination: unspoilt, unpretentious and full of creative flair, where the generosity of the locals is matched by the excellence of its cuisine.
Explore our pre-bookable experiences in Puglia.
View holiday Booking Conditions