In this section...
- Private 5-acre estate
- Stunning sea views
- Sought-after NE Zakynthos location
- Private chef service included
- Ideal for groups and celebrations
Nestled into a private estate filled with cypresses, olive and citrus trees, Cardinal House sits in a sublime position just above the sparkling sapphire waters of Kapari Bay in north east Zakynthos. A glorious tapestry of colours and textures both inside and out, the villa has all the warmth and charm of a private family home, and would make a spectacular base for any group gathering or special occasion.
The hub of the main house is the large, open plan living/dining space, filled with a tactile mix of rich fabrics, antique furniture and conversation-starter curios collected by the well-travelled English owner over many years of cookery writing and impressive property makeovers. Design inspiration comes from the land and the sea, with a palette of beachy colours and weathered driftwood adorning the bedrooms, and a pool shower ingeniously concealed in an ancient olive tree. First renovated in 2004, Cardinal House is truly a grand design, with a stunning wraparound sun terrace running the length of the living room, and five en-suite bedrooms overlooking the swimming pool and the sea. Bedroom number six sits under the eaves, a gorgeously romantic suite with its own private roof terrace. And should any of your party need further privacy, there’s a perfect solution in the form of Sea Folly, an independent suite set just behind the main villa, with its own secluded sun deck.
No matter which room you end up in, there are sweeping 180° panoramas across the endless blue of the Ionian Sea, encompassing tiny Kapari (meaning caper, a key ingredient in Zakynthos cuisine) Island and all the way to Kefalonia and the Peloponnese on a clear day. The distinctive volcanic coastline is ruggedly beautiful, indented here and there with pristine swimming coves and ideal for exploring by boat. You can access the sea via a path that meanders down through the terraced grounds, or simply savour the views from the comfort and privacy of the villa’s own elliptical pool. For sandy beaches, it’s a 10-minute drive to Makris Gialos to the south.
As this villa lends itself particularly well to large groups, we’ve made life a little easier by offering the house on a full-service basis. In addition to our normal concierge support, this includes daily breakfast and cleaning, plus a private chef for one main meal per day, ensuring everyone gets their chance to relax and enjoy this beautiful place to the full. Owner Emma is a long-term Zakynthos resident and outstanding host, and she’ll also be on hand to help arrange extras such as boat hire, baby sitting or even a massage in the specially-built cabin in the grounds. However you like to spend your time on holiday, there can be few more pampering places to enjoy all the discreet delights of north east Zakynthos than this one.
Good to know: Your stay at Cardinal House includes breakfast and a private chef service (for more information please see the Details tab). Outside the peak summer months of July and August, it may also be rented on a fully self-catered basis for a reduced price; please contact our Destination Specialists if you are interested in this option.
- 7 bedroom villa (sleeps 14)
- Open plan kitchen/living/dining area; doors to terrace with large dining table and sea view
- Semi-professional, country-style kitchen includes full cooker, hob, microwave, fridge-freezer and dishwasher; pantry
- Double bedroom with en suite shower room/WC, large roof terrace with sea view. Access via external staircase.
Lower ground floor
- 3 x double bedrooms with open plan en suite shower room/WC (no dividing wall), doors to shared terrace and steps to swimming pool
- 2 x twin or double bedrooms with open plan en suite shower room/WC (no dividing wall), doors to shared terrace and steps to swimming pool
Sea Folly Studio (ground floor, separate building)
- Double bedroom with his and hers en suite shower rooms/WC; private sun deck with sea view
- Daily Breakfast
- Services of private chef for one main meal per day (drinks and ingredients charged locally)
- Food shopping service (your choice of local groceries, drinks etc, charged locally)
- Complimentary wifi (main reception room only)
- Air-conditioned throughout
- Daily maid service
- Twice-weekly linen change
- Washing machine
- Iron, ironing board, hairdryer, pool and bath towels provided
- TV with local channels
- Dining terrace with shaded area
- Barbecue and pizza oven
- Ellipse-shaped swimming pool, maximum depth 2m
- Outdoor space is not ideally suited to people with walking difficulties due to steps and uneven pathways
- Children should be supervised at all times as there are a number of low walls and drops at Cardinal House and the pathway leading to the pool is not gated. We regret that children under 10 are not permitted at Cardinal House
- Deposit of 35% of the total package price is required to book this holiday
- All properties with wifi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails. We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
National tourist licence (EOT):
- Agios Nikolaos (mini-market, tavernas, boat trips) 6min drive
- Kremidi Beach 5min walk
- Makris Gialos beach 10min drive
- Blue Caves 15min drive
- Shipwreck beach viewpoint 30min drive
- Zakynthos Town 50min drive
- Zakynthos airport 55min drive
We had a wonderful family stay at Cardinal House and Emma and her staff went out of their way to make our stay a memorable one in every respect. The food was outstanding, thank you Ro, Alex and Fran. It was marvellous to see our grandchildren tucking into prawns, mussels, squid and fishes of all sorts, a gastronomic education!
Linda Holdaway, July 2022
Our choice of Greek properties is as diverse as the islands themselves, ranging from simple seaside charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide.
We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal. To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
Edgar Allen Poe described Zakynthos as 'the flower of the Levante' and today, nearly 200 years later, this multi-faceted destination remains among the least developed of the larger Greek islands. The north in particular retains a timeless feel, thanks in part to its more rugged landscape that makes travel a little slower but infinitely more rewarding. There’s beauty and drama in towering cliffs and forest-clad mountains, but also hours of family fun on golden sandy beaches. From sleepy Agios Nikolaos in the north to the vibrant capital Zakynthos Town, you’ll find luxury villas and romantic honeymoon suites in some of the island’s most idyllic locations.
BookingMultiple.mustache file to be converted
View holiday Booking Conditions