In this section...
- Classic manor house
- Stunning country views
- In the heart of the Dordogne
- Private gated and heated swimming pool
Advance Registration... select your dates and reserve your 2023 holiday online, with a fully refundable deposit of £500.
Surrounded by the undulating countryside of the Périgord Vert, this classic manor house is an invitation to immerse yourself fully in rural French life – and although the pace here is reassuringly slow, there’s plenty to keep all ages busy between this corner of the Dordogne and the region’s capital, Périgueux.
The interiors are modern and stylish, although there are plenty of nods to the property’s 300-year history in the form of four-poster beds, freestanding baths and elegant antique furnishings. This theme continues outside, where a turquoise saltwater swimming pool shares lawn space with an ancient well (secured) whilst the large vaulted cellar has been converted into a games room.
The local area
If you can bear to leave the glorious stillness of the property and surrounding hills, there’s plenty to explore right on the doorstep. In neighbouring Tourtoirac, you’ll find a night food market, a picturesque riverside square with shops and restaurants and a popular ranch for horse and pony riding.
Dining options are plentiful, with recommended restaurants within a 10-minute drive. The surrounding landscape and waterways play host to a range of activities: golf, tennis, canoeing, hot-air ballooning, zip wiring, truffle trails, vineyard walks, and velo railing (cycling along a disused railway line). An excellent way to explore the spectacular scenery is by bike, and bikes can be pre-booked and dropped off at the house ready for your stay. An hour in the car brings you to the famous town of Sarlat, filled with cobbled streets and wonderful architecture. At roughly the same distance, Périgueux is well worth a trip for its imposing 12th-century cathedral, elegant streets and peaceful riverboat trips.
Domaine de l'Auvézère is set in the lovely rolling countryside of the Périgord Vert, 36km northeast of the beautiful regional capital of Périgueux. The Dordogne region, in the heart of the southwest is an area rich in all the delights France has to offer. Beautiful dramatic scenery greets you at every turn: castles perched high over the Dordogne River valley, the spectacular Gouffre de Padirac caves, tranquil rivers winding their way through limestone cliffs. Our earliest artists descended 17,000 years ago into the caves near Lascaux, on the Vézère River, to paint in breathtaking colour the animals they hunted; you can visit a replica cave, as well as many other prehistoric sites in the area. The fortified 'bastide' towns of Monpazier, Eymet, Villefranche and others are remarkably well-preserved witnesses to turbulent times. The mighty donjon of Bourdeilles castle looms imposingly, while Brantôme (the 'Venice of France') wears a more serene aspect, the beautiful Benedictine abbey gazing contemplatively down onto the river Dronne.
- 6 bedroom manor house (sleeps 12)
- Living room
- Sitting room with TV
- Kitchen with oven, hob, toaster, kettle, coffee maker, fridge, freezer and dishwasher
- Large master bedroom with king-size 4-poster bed and 2 en-suite bathrooms with WCs (one with bath, one with bath and separate shower)
- Double bedroom with en-suite bathroom and WC
- Twin bedroom with en-suite bathroom with WC
- Double bedroom with en-suite bathroom with separate shower and WC
- 2 twin bedrooms
- Complimentary WiFi
- Simpson Travel telephone representative
- Washing machine and dryer
- Cot (no linen) and highchair on request
- Satellite TV
- Heating (€100 per week)
- Fireplace (small charge for wood)
- Charcoal barbecue
- Games room with table tennis and table football
- Private salt-water filtered swimming pool 11m x 5m (depth 1.2m – 2m), fenced, Roman steps, pool can be heated May to October (temperature is weather-dependent, €200 per week)
- For further information on Terms and Conditions specific to this French property please click here
- Security deposit £500 payable 2 weeks before departure
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails*
* We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
Bed linen, bath and pool towels are provided
Weekly linen change for bookings of one week or more
- Mid-week cleaning 3 hours included
- Additional cleaning available €20 per hour (minimum 4 hours)
- Cooking service available on request, with seasonal menu options differing from month to month. Standard menu price is €30 per person but variations are available. Dishes can also be prepared in advance for guests to heat up on arrival day
- Cooking lessons available
- Bike rental available - bikes can be delivered to the house in advance
- All services payable locally
- Prices quoted are subject to change
- Check-in time – 4.00-7.00pm
- Check-out time – 10.00am
- Ferry ports
Le Havre 615km
- TGV stations
- Dordogne region
- Shops/restaurants (Tourtoirac) 7min drive
- Château de Hautefort 12min drive
- Périgueux 45min drive
- Bergerac airport 1hr 20min drive
Beautiful house, spectacular location and spacious accommodation. My thanks to everyone in the team for making our holiday such a success.
Mr Webb – September 2019
Our local rep was fantastic from start to finish and totally enhanced the experience of our holiday. We would not have thought to do a number of things without her suggestions. Thanks for being so available, friendly and professional, Tory... we all had a fabulous break.
Simpson Traveller – August 2019
We've had a wonderful holiday in this beautiful house and gardens. Debbie and Keith looked after us so very well.
Mathew, Ro, Sasha, Neil and Charles – June 2016
Thank you so much Will, LJ, Freddie and Daisy for the most dreamy stay in your beautiful house! We'll always remember our special time in the Dordogne. Much love from us all.
The Bristowe Family – May 2016
There are no words to describe the exuberant house, area, facilities, and food. This stay will be printed in our minds as one of the favourable memories of our family. We can't thank you enough.
The Pamakian Family – May 2015
Our choice of French properties is diverse, ranging from simple charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal.
To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
From the Dordogne’s forest-covered hillsides to the undulating countryside of Lot-et-Garonne, these fertile landscapes have long played their part in human history – the famous Lascaux cave paintings testify to that. For a taste of spectacular coastline on your holiday, head to Charente-Maritime or find a lakeside beach that’s perfect for a picnic – this region is known for its abundant food and excellent wines. Choose a restaurant in an ancient village square and enjoy the sense of history repeated.
And for a place to stay in Dordogne and the South West, explore our collection of luxury villas.
View holiday Booking Conditions