In this section...
- Elegant country house
- Extensive private grounds
- Optional private chef
- Near to St Emillon
- Shops and restaurants within walking distance
Tastefully finished both inside and out, with small shops and restaurants within walking distance, this elegant maison bourgeoise is the perfect place to immerse yourself fully in timeless countryside near St Emilion. Clos de Chinon is set in peaceful, private grounds, encircled by vines and fruit trees, with ample space to laze away long summer days by the pool, in a hammock or in the shade of the al fresco dining area. If the midday sun shines too brightly, or the later season evenings turn cool, retreat into the airy and recently remodelled living and kitchen space, the natural hub of the house where you can gather to recount the highlights of the day or plan the next exploration in stylish comfort.
Eating well is an intrinsic part of any holiday in this most gourmet corner of France, and at Clos de Chinon, fine dining can come to you. Hosts Barbara and Jonathan are both professional chefs, who live in a separate apartment on the estate. In addition to managing the property and providing a wealth of local information, your hosts offer an optional in-villa dining service, where you can expect restaurant-quality cuisine equivalent to a one Michelin star rating. For keen cooks who prefer to browse the local markets for ingredients and experiment with the legendary Bordeaux wines, the new kitchen has everything you need, plus a barbecue and pizza oven for the ultimate in relaxed family dining.
With four en-suite bedrooms this grand old home suits one or two families or a group of friends, and has hosted some memorable birthday and anniversary celebrations. For younger guests there are swings and a garden trampoline, easy local cycle routes, caves to explore in the deep Dordogne and the option of a day at the seaside at Cap Ferret or Arcachon. Other highlights include St Emilion for wine tasting, the market towns of Bergerac, Ste Foy la Grande and Castillon la Bataille and of course Bordeaux, reputedly one of our own Queen’s favourite cities, and just an hour by car from Clos de Chinon.
- 4 bedroom villa (sleeps 2-8)
- Living/dining area with TV (English-speaking news channels)
- Kitchen with oven, hob, microwave, fridge-freezer, dishwasher, washing machine
- Double bedroom (round designer bed) with en-suite bathroom
- Master bedroom (4-poster bed) with en-suite bathroom
- 2 double bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms
- Complimentary wifi
- Iron and ironing board provided
- Cots, highchairs and fold-away beds available for infants/children
- Smoking is not permitted in the house
- Pets are not permitted
- Full catering available (breakfasts, picnics, gourmet dinners using fresh local produce)
- Hosts (Barbara and Jonathan) live on the estate but remain discreet
- Outside shaded dining area
- Barbecue area and pizza oven
- Private swimming pool 11 x 5m, fenced with security gate, alarm
- All properties with wifi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails*
* We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
- Activities close by cycling, golf, horse riding, golf, wine-tasting
- Restaurants/shops (Gensac) 1km
- Beaches (Cap Ferret/Arcachon) 2hr drive
- Bergerac airport 42 km
- Bordeaux airport 77 km
- St Malo ferry 579 km
- Calais ferry terminal 915 km
Our choice of French properties is diverse, ranging from simple charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal.
To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
From the Dordogne’s forest-covered hillsides to the undulating countryside of Lot-et-Garonne, these fertile landscapes have long played their part in human history – the famous Lascaux cave paintings testify to that. For a taste of spectacular coastline on your holiday, head to Charente-Maritime or find a lakeside beach that’s perfect for a picnic – this region is known for its abundant food and excellent wines. Choose a restaurant in an ancient village square and enjoy the sense of history repeated.
And for a place to stay in Dordogne and the South West, explore our collection of luxury villas.
View holiday Booking Conditions