In this section...
- Elegant country house
- Extensive private grounds
- Pre-bookable private chef, for parties of six or more
- Near to St Emillon
- Shops and restaurants within walking distance
Tastefully finished both inside and out, with small shops and restaurants within walking distance, this elegant maison bourgeoise is the perfect place to immerse yourself fully in timeless countryside near St Emilion. Clos de Chinon is set in peaceful, private grounds, encircled by vines and fruit trees, with ample space to laze away long summer days by the pool, in a hammock or in the shade of the al fresco dining area. If the midday sun shines too brightly, or the later season evenings turn cool, retreat into the airy and recently remodelled living and kitchen space, the natural hub of the house where you can gather to recount the highlights of the day or plan the next exploration in stylish comfort.
Eating well is an intrinsic part of any holiday in this most gourmet corner of France, and at Clos de Chinon, larger parties of six or more can pre-book the culinary skills of hosts Barbara and Jonathan; professional chefs, who live in a separate apartment on the estate. In addition to managing the property and providing a wealth of local information, your hosts have the skills to prepare restaurant-quality cuisine equivalent to a one Michelin star rating. Smaller parties and keen cooks will enjoy browsing the local markets for ingredients and though the new kitchen has everything you need, the barbecue and pizza oven offer pleasant alternatives for relaxed family dining.
With four en-suite bedrooms this grand old home suits one or two families or a group of friends, and has hosted some memorable birthday and anniversary celebrations. For younger guests there are garden swings, easy local cycle routes, caves to explore in the deep Dordogne and the option of a day at the seaside at Cap Ferret or Arcachon. Other highlights include St Emilion, the market towns of Bergerac, Ste Foy la Grande and Castillon la Bataille and of course Bordeaux, reputedly one of our own Queen’s favourite cities, just an hour by car from Clos de Chinon.
The local area
Clos de Chinon is 34km from the pretty village of Sigoulès, where you’ll find a range of restaurants, shops and services. For a real flavour of the region, the stunning medieval town of Bergerac is just 38km away, with an abundance of wine cellars, shops and restaurants serving the very best of the region’s produce.
If your appetite runs more to outdoor activities, you can hire bikes in Bergerac, play golf at the Château des Vigiers, 24km away, or take a canoe out on the Dordogne at Port-de-Ste-Foy-la-Grande, 16km away. The Château de Bridoire at Ribagnac, 42km from the villa, is a great day out with plenty of activities for the whole family, including special events for children throughout the summer.
Beautiful scenery greets you at every turn: with castles perched high above the Dordogne, the spectacular Gouffre de Padirac caves, and tranquil rivers winding their way between dramatic limestone cliffs. From the 20,000-year-old cave paintings at Lascaux to the numerous medieval bastide towns, it feels as though every era in history is represented here.
The UNESCO World Heritage Site of Saint-Emilion is 27km away and sits at the very heart of the world-renowned Bordeaux wine region. Famous for its Grand Cru, the earliest vines were planted here in the 2nd century and there are excellent tours and tastings available at the local wineries. Saint-Emilion itself is a pleasure to explore, with its elegant cobbled streets, Romanesque churches and appealing boutique shops, and no visit here would be complete without enjoying a glass of the local tipple at one of the many excellent bistros.
- 4 bedroom villa (sleeps 2-8)
- Living/dining area with TV (English-speaking news channels)
- Kitchen with oven, hob, microwave, fridge-freezer, dishwasher, washing machine
- Double bedroom (round designer bed) with en-suite bathroom
- Master bedroom (4-poster bed) with en-suite bathroom
- 2 double bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms
- Complimentary WiFi
- Iron and ironing board provided
- Cots, highchairs and fold-away beds available for infants/children
- Catering by hosts, Barbara and Jonathan, available for groups of six or more €85/per person (must be pre-booked)
- Complimentary 2-course meal on arrival for guests staying 23-30 May (half term)
- Hosts live on the estate but remain discreet
- Smoking is not permitted in the house
- Pets are not permitted
- Outside shaded dining area
- Barbecue area and pizza oven
- Private swimming pool 11 x 5m, fenced with security gate, alarm
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails*
* We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
- Activities close by cycling, golf, horse riding, golf, wine-tasting
- Restaurants/shops (Gensac) 1km
- Beaches (Cap Ferret/Arcachon) 2hr drive
- Bergerac airport 42 km
- Bordeaux airport 77 km
- St Malo ferry 579 km
- Calais ferry terminal 915 km
The property was delightful, as were the kind, thoughtful and helpful owners. The generous welcome box was amazing. Even with less-than-perfect weather, there was enough space and plenty of toys in this wonderfully quirky house to entertain us all. Our special dinner provided by our former-chef hosts was a highlight, as were the patient cats who endured the (gentle) attentions of our small grandchildren without complaint! This part of France is not overwhelmed by tourism, but there was plenty of interest nearby, which added so much to the experience. Our three-generation holiday was a great success all round.
Susanne – June 2019
Our choice of French properties is diverse, ranging from simple charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal.
To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
From the Dordogne’s forest-covered hillsides to the undulating countryside of Lot-et-Garonne, these fertile landscapes have long played their part in human history – the famous Lascaux cave paintings testify to that. For a taste of spectacular coastline on your holiday, head to Charente-Maritime or find a lakeside beach that’s perfect for a picnic – this region is known for its abundant food and excellent wines. Choose a restaurant in an ancient village square and enjoy the sense of history repeated.
And for a place to stay in Dordogne and the South West, explore our collection of luxury villas.
View holiday Booking Conditions