Villa Les Goélands
In this section...
- Beachfront villa
- Exceptional location
- Stylish and contemporary
- Glorious sea views
- Short walk to restaurants and shops
Reserve your 2024 holiday online with a fully refundable deposit of £500. Simply select your preferred dates or find out more here.
Enjoying a unique and privileged position just metres from the waves at Claouey on the Cap Ferret peninsula, Les Goélands is a rare find. The villa epitomises all that's best about the French expression les pieds dans l’eau and the unrivalled joy of accessing the beach directly from the garden is simply unbeatable. Dating back to the 1930s, when the only access was by boat, the villa was updated to its current contemporary style in 2014, using natural materials and marine colours to complement the beautiful bay views. Much has changed in the area since the 1930s, but the exceptional location remains unchallenged and Les Goélands offers a truly magical base for any party with their sights set on a beachfront holiday where sandcastles, swimming and the hypnotic ebb and flow of the sea form the backdrop to daily life.
The villa belongs to the grandchildren of its original owner, and has witnessed many happy family gatherings over the years. With four bedrooms, there’s space for several generations to get together in comfort, and plenty to do in the local area to keep everyone entertained.
The local area
Cap Ferret is a picturesque, pine-covered peninsula sandwiched between the fine beaches and dunes of the Atlantic coast and the gentle waters of the bay of Arcachon. The house is located on the bay front at Claouey, with small shops and restaurants within a five-minute walk. Claouey beach club runs children’s activities and swimming lessons in July and August, with sailing courses available nearby all summer long.
Cycle trails connect Claouey to the Atlantic beaches and along the peninsula into Cap Ferret village itself (15 kilometres), where you’ll find chic shops to browse. The ambience is relaxed and appreciative of good living, evidenced by the abundance of oyster sellers, fishmongers and waterfront restaurants that make a stay here so deliciously civilised. From Cap Ferret you can take a boat tour of the oyster beds, catch the ferry to Arcachon or hop onto the little train that trundles out to the rather spectacular L’Horizon beach on the Atlantic coast. Continuing down the headland, you can climb to the top of Cap Ferret lighthouse, with fine views over the Dune du Pilat, Europe’s highest sand dune.
From fresh oysters to fine wines, this chic coastal corner of Aquitaine is foodie heaven. Enjoy a tour and tasting visit one of the many Médoc vineyards, and allow yourselves at least half a day to wander the medieval old town, swish restaurants and glossy wine shops of UNESCO-listed St Emilion, synonymous with some of France’s most celebrated producers and vintages. Bordeaux (50 kilometres) also boasts World Heritage status plus a state-of-the-art wine exhibition in the city centre, and an up-beat, contemporary atmosphere that contrasts most appealingly with its extravagant pre-Revolution architecture. And if you find yourself needing to work off some of the excesses of lunch, a climb up the Dune du Pilat (get there by water taxi) will do the trick.
Explore our pre-bookable experiences in Aquitaine
- 4 bedroom villa (sleeps 2-6)
Please note, Villa Les Goélands sleeps a maximum of six including up to 3 children and infants and we regret we are unable to increase the occupancy under any circumstances
- Garden room
- Open-plan living/dining area with small TV, fireplace
- Well-equipped kitchen with oven, hob, microwave, coffee-maker, fridge-freezer, dishwasher, washing machine and dryer
- Double bedroom (160cm bed) with en-suite shower room
- Double bedroom (140cm bed)
- Triple bedroom (3 x 90cm beds) with two beds on the mezzanine level (children over 4 years only)
- Shower room
- Double bedroom (160cm bed) to the rear of the villa with en-suite shower room and WC (separate entrance via terrace)
- Complimentary WiFi
- Iron, ironing board, hairdryer and pool towels provided
- Cot and high chair available
- Decked terrace
- Direct beach access
- Smoking is not permitted in the villa
- Pets are not permitted
- Private parking for two cars
- Local activities include surfing, windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, cycling, horse-riding, fishing, spa and thalassotherapy, adrenaline park
- For further information on Terms and Conditions specific to this French property please click here
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails. We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
Villa access times
- Check-in time – 5-7pm
- Check-out time – 10am
- Bed linen, bath and pool towels are provided
- Weekly change of linen, bath and pool towels for bookings of one week or more
- Light mid-stay clean for bookings of two weeks or more
Optional services offered
- Cleaning €20/hour
- Babysitting €15/hour
- Boat hire (please enquire)
- All extra services payable locally
- Prices quoted are subject to change
- Ferry ports
St Malo 600km
- TGV stations
- Claouey beach (end of the garden)
- Restaurants/supermarket/bakery (Claouey village) 5min walk (500m)
- Seafood market 12min walk (1km)
- Cap Ferret 20min drive (15km)
- Bordeaux airport 40min drive (45km)
A wonderful location, beautiful house in a beautiful setting. All amenities within walking distance. A really relaxing stay. Didn't use the car for a week! Wonderful sea food restaurants a walk along the beach away. Idyllic!
Ivan Wiggam, July 2022
A delightfully quiet and peaceful cottage and location - with charming ‘hosts’
John Roberts, June 2022
The most beautifully located villa we’ve ever stayed in! We were the first Simpson guests to stay there so expected a few teething problems but Tory couldn’t have been more helpful if she’d tried.
The Griffiths family – June 2019
Our choice of French properties is diverse, ranging from simple charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal.
To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
Chic Cap Ferret alone would be enough to satisfy the most discerning beach seeker, but there’s so much more to unwrap. An afternoon wandering the enchanting oyster villages, marvelling at the opulence of Arcachon’s Ville d’Hiver or treating little ones to an afternoon at the aquapark make this a uniquely unforgettable holiday experience. Take in a sunrise from the top of the magnificent Dune du Pilat or add a boat trip around the bay and the routine of normal life will seem far, far away.
Visit our collection of handpicked villas in Cap Ferret and Arcachon Bay to complete your luxury holiday on the Aquitaine Coast.
BookingMultiple.mustache file to be converted
View holiday Booking Conditions