In this section...
- Wonderfully positioned villa in Piraillan
- Short walk to restaurants and beach
- Set in pine forest
- Completely private
Around Cap Ferret you’re never far from the sea, with the hypnotic spectacle of Atlantic waves to one side and the calm waters of Arcachon bay to the other. For this reason, villas with a swimming pool are a relative rarity in this exclusive little area, which makes Villa des Cigales a special find.
Surrounded by pine forest on the edge of Piraillan, one of the peninsula’s many heritage oyster-villages, Villa des Cigales combines comfort, convenience and considerable charm in an enviably private location. The house is a typical ‘maison Landaise’, complete with a classic red-tiled roof and sturdy wooden shutters. Villa des Cigales is a much-loved private home, practically and tastefully furnished and offering a host of family-friendly touches, including table tennis on the shaded terrace and a garden trampoline. The single storey layout is ideal for a young family looking for easy lazy days around the pool, which can be closed off from the rest of the garden if required, and teenagers love being able to bike to the beach and shops by themselves. There are plenty of adult attractions in this area too: browse the daily high-summer market for picnic goodies and regional delicacies just 100 metres from the villa, rummage for treasure in the local brocantes, or spend a few hours in Cap Ferret itself and treat yourself to lunch in the sun at one of the many oyster shacks that line its beautiful beach.
The local area
The villa sits on a tree-lined avenue just outside Piraillan, about half way down the Cap Ferret peninsula. There’s an excellent daily food market just 100 metres away in July and August and a handful of attractive restaurants in Piraillan, where you’ll also find the brightly painted wooden huts of the famous oyster-quarter to explore. For other local shops, Le Canon (800 metres) offers a supermarket, bakery, wine shop, tabac and several more restaurants. If you’re after sand dunes and the energising fun of the ocean, the nearest Atlantic beach is Le Truc Vert, just three kilometres away along quiet avenues and forest cycle paths. The whole cape is traversed by these paths, making it easy and relaxing to get around on two wheels, whether you’re popping into Cap Ferret village for lunch and a spot of quality shopping or heading out for a lazy day at the beach.
From Le Canon you can take a water taxi to the Dune du Pilat, Europe’s highest sand dune, which rewards the sandy climb to the summit with fabulous views. In Cap Ferret, pick up a boat tour of the oyster beds and nature reserves, catch the ferry to Arcachon or hop onto the little train that trundles out to the rather spectacular L’Horizon beach on the Atlantic coast. Continuing down the headland, you can climb to the top of Cap Ferret lighthouse, with fine views over the forest and ocean, and over to the Dune du Pilat across the bay. South of the lighthouse are the famous ’44 Hectares’, an exclusive district of private villas and home to Chez Hortense, regarded as the best restaurant in the area.
From fresh oysters to fine wines, this chic coastal corner of Aquitaine is foodie heaven. Enjoy a tour and tasting visit one of the many Médoc vineyards, and spend a day in Bordeaux, which boasts World Heritage status plus a state-of-the-art wine exhibition in the city centre, and an up-beat, contemporary atmosphere that contrasts most appealingly with its extravagant pre-Revolution architecture.
- 4 bedroom villa (sleeps 2-6)
- Open-plan living/dining area with TV, DVD player, music dock/speaker, working fireplace, French doors lead to terrace
- Well-equipped kitchen with oven, hob, microwave, fridge-freezer, dishwasher, washing machine
- Three double bedrooms (160cm x 200cm beds)
- Twin bedroom (2 x 90cm beds)
- Family bathroom with bath, shower and WC
- Shower room
- Complimentary WiFi
- Iron, ironing board, hairdryer, pool and bath towels
- Cot and highchair available on request
- Table tennis
- Outdoor shower
- Heated salt-filtered swimming pool 9m x 4m (depth 0.8m – 1.5m), safety cover
- Smoking not permitted in the villa
- Pets considered on request (must be confirmed at time of booking)
- A secure gate controls access to the pool from the terrace
- Nearby activities include surfing, kitesurfing, windsurfing, sailing, water-skiing, jet-skiing, cycling, horse riding, fishing, wine-tasting, degustation, adrenaline park
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails*
* We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
- Bed linen, bath and pool towels are provided
- Weekly change of linen, bath and pool towels for bookings of one week or more
- Light mid-stay clean for bookings of two weeks or more
- Final cleaning
- Optional extras: cleaning €20/hour, 3 hours minimum; babysitting €15/hour
- Ferry ports
St Malo 600km
- TGV stations
- Piraillan market (daily July-August, otherwise Saturdays) 2min walk (150m)
- Restaurant (La Pleine Mer) 3min walk (300m)
- Oyster bar (Cabane 57) 3min walk (300m)
- Beach (Piraillan) 5min walk (600m)
- Local bakery (Le Canon) 7min walk (800m)
- Le Cap Ferret 10min drive (7km)
- Bordeaux airport 45min drive (50km)
Although this property is booked on an accommodation-only basis, we can arrange your flights for an extra charge of £25 per person, plus the cost of the flights themselves.
Below are the flight options available, including the most convenient airports in France to help you reach your destination as quickly and easily as possible.
Bordeaux 50km/45min drive
|Departure airport||Airline||Flight days||Seasonality|
|London Gatwick||British Airways||Saturday||All season|
|London Gatwick||easyJet||Saturday||All season|
|London Luton||easyJet||Saturday||All season|
|Liverpool||easyJet||Saturday||12 May - 1 Sep|
|Belfast||easyJet||Saturday||12 May - 1 Sep|
|Edinburgh||Ryanair||Saturday||31 Mar - 27 Oct|
|Southampton||Flybe||Saturday||26 May - 25 Aug|
|Birmingham||Flybe||Saturday||31 Mar - 2 Sep|
Biarritz 200km/2hr 20min drive
|Departure airport||Airline||Flight days||Seasonality|
|London Stansted||Ryanair||Saturday||All season|
|Birmingham||Flybe||Saturday||25 May - 31 Aug|
|Southampton||Flybe||Saturday||25 May - 31 Aug|
|London Gatwick||Easyjet||Saturday||01 June - 21 Sep|
Our choice of French properties is diverse, ranging from simple charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal.
To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
Chic Cap Ferret alone would be enough to satisfy the most discerning beach seeker, but there’s so much more to unwrap. An afternoon wandering the enchanting oyster villages, marvelling at the opulence of Arcachon’s Ville d’Hiver or treating little ones to an afternoon at the aquapark make this a uniquely unforgettable holiday experience. Take in a sunrise from the top of the magnificent Dune du Pilat or add a boat trip around the bay and the routine of normal life will seem far, far away.
Visit our collection of handpicked villas in Cap Ferret and Arcachon Bay to complete your luxury holiday on the Aquitaine Coast.
View holiday Booking Conditions