In this section...
- Five charming suites
- Wonderful position overlooking Kioni
- Private terraces and balconies
- Sea views
- Short walk to Kioni waterfront and tavernas
Set above the impossibly beautiful harbour in Kioni sits Kyparissi, a place of such simple charm and authenticity it cannot fail to capture the heart. Serving as a family retreat for several generations, the property is now owned by Calliope who has transformed it into five spacious one and two-bedroom suites and we couldn’t be more delighted that she has chosen to share them with us.
Her artistic background, respect for the island’s history and innate passion for the aesthetics of the natural world have led to a delightful restoration overlooking the azure waters of the Ionian. The suite interiors are light, bright, almost ethereal in feel, with primary colours inspired by the abstract paintings of Mondrian adding accents of colour to the simple whitewashed walls. The effect is one of peace, harmony and relaxation, a fitting backdrop to the seductive beauty of Ithaca’s spectacular landscape and coastline.
Two-bedroom suites are split level and situated on the upper floors, each with a large balcony leading off the living room, small balcony from the main bedroom and magnificent Ionian views. Ideal for couples seeking a little extra space, or families in the peak season (children over 12 only), they offer the finest views but if you’re after a romantic hideaway, the one-bedroom suites each enjoy a private garden terrace, ideal for a quiet siesta as the gentle breeze drifts in from the sea.
Kyparissi is named after the cypress trees found in the gardens, where the soft scent of Mediterranean pine is infused with jasmine, rose, lavender and rosemary – a real treat for the senses and a calm oasis above the rhythm of daily life in Kioni. Yet just a five-minute stroll leads down to the harbour front. It’s a decidedly classy little fishing village - lively by day during the peak summer months when the yachts moor up for lunch, yet wonderfully laid back in the evenings. Here you’ll find a bakery, grocery store and delicatessen as well as an appealing selection of boutique shops and tavernas serving delicious fresh fish and local dishes. Amble down at sunset for a pre-dinner drink at one of the waterside cafes - perfect as the sky turns crimson and the lights begin to twinkle around the bay.
There are several pebble beaches within easy walking distance of Kyparissi and a 15-minute stroll along the waterfront leads to a traditional cantina serving drinks and snacks. And though we highly recommend you hire a boat to discover those parts of the island more easily accessible from the sea, it’s not just the coast that’s worth exploring. Walking trails uncover ancient churches and the fertile remnants of Ithaca’s wealthy past exporting home-grown lavender and raisins across the continent. It’s very easy to come to this part of Ithaca without a car and still feel you’ve scratched beneath the surface of the island’s rich history; walk up to the one-time capital Anogi and you’ll find an old church housing priceless Byzantine treasures and a rather quaint restaurant in the village square where you can dine with the locals.
Ithaca is an island where ancient history and mythology meet, the evocative destination for Odysseus in Homer’s Iliad and as far removed from the hustle and bustle of city life as you could ever wish to be. And though the Kyparissi suites have no lofty pretentions when it comes to high-tech gadgetry, they lack nothing when it comes to heart, soul and artistic character. A stay here has a poetic quality that lingers long after you’ve said your sad goodbyes and as you might expect, it attracts a loyal following. If it sounds like the place for you, early booking is highly recommended.
Ground floor suites
- Phos - 1-bedroom with garden terrace and sea view
- Aeras - 1-bedroom with garden terrace
First/second floor suites
- Chronos - 2-bedroom split level suite with balcony and sea view
- Orpheus - 2-bedroom split level suite with balcony and sea view
- Eros - 2-bedroom split level suite with balcony and sea view
- Kitchen/dining/living area with access to balcony or terrace
- Kitchen with oven, hob and fridge freezer
- Shower room and WC
- Complimentary WiFi
- Iron/ironing board and hairdryer
- Simpson pool/beach towels
- Car parking
Please note: Kyparissi suites do not accept children under 12
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails*
* We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
National tourist licence (EOT):
- Kefalonia airport to Sami port by private taxi or minibus 50min
- Waiting time at Sami port is usually short at the port café
- Sami port to Ithaca (Pisaetos) by sea taxi or ferry and depending on the mode of transport the journey will take 40-50 minutes
- Shops/tavernas/bars (Kioni) 5min walk
- Beach (Sarakinari) 5min walk
- Stavros 15min drive
- Vathy 40min drive
Based on the number of people travelling, the following hire car(s) are included in the package price of your holiday:
- 2-3 guests – 1 Group B, Nissan Micra or similar*
- 4 guests – 1 Group C, Fiat Grande Punto or similar*
* All our cars include full comprehensive insurance with no excess charge. Please note that damage to the undercarriage, wing mirrors, windscreen and tyres is not covered by insurance.
Group B – 1.1 litre engine, 1 large suitcase*
Group C – 1.2 litre engine, 1 large and 1 medium suitcase*
The following cars are available as alternatives on request (supplements apply). Please call our travel specialists for details.
Group D – Automatic Nissan Micra or similar, 1.1 litre engine, 1 large suitcase*
Group E – Daihatsu Terios 4x4 Hard Top or similar, 1.4 litre engine, 2 large and 2 medium suitcases*
* Suitcase sizes are based on a large suitcase being approximately 75cm x 41cm x 31cm, a medium suitcase of approximately 65cm x 46cm x 29cm and a small suitcase of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm.
Our choice of Greek properties is as diverse as the islands themselves, ranging from simple seaside charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal.
To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
The fabled land of Homer’s Odyssey and a safe harbour through the ages for Romans, Venetians and Ottomans, Ithaca is historic to the core: a beach holiday destination that comes with an epic story to match its beautiful landscape. The sweeping panorama of Vathy’s bay and a shoreline of eucalyptus-shaded coves give way to undulating hills of pine, olive and cypress groves, whilst timeless rural life plays out in the island’s unspoilt interior, ensuring that Ithaca remains a place to truly relax.
To help you unwind in style, we offer a selection of handpicked luxury villas, giving your Ithaca holiday a welcome touch of comfort.
BookingMultiple.mustache file to be converted
View holiday Booking Conditions