In this section...
- Simply Simpson
- Romantic open-plan cottage
- Private pool and garden
- 5min drive to Vathy
- 15min walk to Dexa Beach
Ithaca’s capital Vathy, has been the main harbour on the island since the 16th century and houses near this picturesque little town have enduring appeal. Just a 5-minute drive from its appealing waterfront, Amalthia Cottage is located in the timeless Mediterranean landscape above Dexa Beach, notable not only for its Blue Flag status but, according to legend, for welcoming Odysseus when he returned from The Trojan War. Hard to imagine such drama here now, in this sleepy spot fringed by trees and only the chirrup of cicadas to disturb the peace. When you’re in need of refreshment, you’ll find a simple beach bar serving cold drinks a short stroll along the shoreline; everything else you may need can be found in Vathy, with its excellent selection of shops, bars and tavernas.
Amalthia cottage is just for two and the open-plan living area with mezzanine bedroom above is perfect for a romantic escape. Though modest in scale, the cottage enjoys a charming setting and the pretty garden, private pool and terrace ensure that island living is just as relaxing as you could wish it to be. There are some self-guided walks nearby and a stroll up to the ancient village of Paleochora is a must; Ithaca’s capital in the Middle Ages, it enjoys fabulous views south across the island and some of the old frescoes are still visible in the ruins of the church. Guided walks can also be arranged, along with self-drive boat hire, kayaking and scuba diving, on request.
Perfectly private and separate from neighbouring Arethusa Cottage, the two properties also work well for two couples travelling together, seeking independent living.
- 1-bedroom cottage (sleeps 2)
- Open plan living/dining/kitchen area with TV/DVD player (English-speaking news channels)
- Kitchen includes oven, hob, fridge, dishwasher
- Shower room
- Stairs to mezzanine level with double bed (150cm x 200cm)
- Air conditioning
- Complimentary WiFi
- Iron, ironing board, hairdryer
- Simpson Travel pool towels
- Built-in barbecue
- Swimming pool 5m x 2.5m (depth 0.9m – 1.5m)
- Separate private parking
- Guided walks, massage treatments, self-drive boat hire, kayaking, SCUBA diving (payable locally)
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails. We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes, due to factors beyond our control, reliability can be affected.
National tourist licence (EOT): 0457K91000460201
- Kefalonia airport to Sami port by private taxi or minibus 50min
- Waiting time at Sami port is usually short at the port café
- Sami port to Ithaca (Pisaetos) by sea taxi or ferry and depending on the mode of transport the journey will take 40-50 minutes
- Shop/bakery 5min drive
- Vathy 5min drive
- Dexa beach 15min walk/5min drive
- Frikes 30min drive
- Port of Pisaetos 15min drive
Based on the number of people travelling, the following hire car(s) are included in the package price of your holiday:
- 2-3 guests – 1 Group B, Nissan Micra or similar*
- 4 guests – 1 Group C, Fiat Grande Punto or similar*
* All our cars include full comprehensive insurance with no excess charge. Please note that damage to the undercarriage, wing mirrors, windscreen and tyres is not covered by insurance.
Our choice of Greek properties is as diverse as the islands themselves, ranging from simple seaside charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal. To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
The fabled land of Homer’s Odyssey and a safe harbour through the ages for Romans, Venetians and Ottomans, Ithaca is historic to the core: a beach holiday destination that comes with an epic story to match its beautiful landscape. The sweeping panorama of Vathy’s bay and a shoreline of eucalyptus-shaded coves give way to undulating hills of pine, olive and cypress groves, whilst timeless rural life plays out in the island’s unspoilt interior, ensuring that Ithaca remains a place to truly relax.
To help you unwind in style, we offer a selection of handpicked luxury villas, giving your Ithaca holiday a welcome touch of comfort.
View holiday Booking Conditions