In this section...
- Short walk to best beach in Crete
- Set in unspoilt Xerokambos
- Beautiful views
- Short drive to tavernas
On cold, grey, rainy days, this is the holiday daydream to see you through. The softest white sand and turquoise seas of Crete’s most spectacular beaches make Xerokambos the place we’d choose to escape to. With all the magic of the Caribbean tantalisingly close to home, it’s an idyllic ‘off the beaten track’ destination with shops and tavernas just a few minutes’ drive away.
Villa Almyra is set discretely into a hillside, just a few minutes’ walk from the beach. In harmony with the natural environment, it’s charmingly simple, inside and out: comfortable accommodation that offers the best possible welcome after a day of sun, sea and exploring. A swimming pool is being added over the winter, along with new beds, and furniture for the terrace: the perfect vantage point to soak up the beauty of your surroundings. Villa Kambos, its identical twin, sits above, and for two families or couples travelling together, these villas complement each other perfectly. Choose Almyra, however, and you’ll also have the advantage of a shorter walk up the hill!
Following the gentle curve of Crete’s southeast coastline, each of the Xerokambos beaches has its own unique personality. Just 5 minutes away two are well organised and, combined with the calm, shallow waters and a couple of tavernas ideally located for a relaxing lunch, makes them ideal if you’re holidaying with little ones. The rest have been left as nature intended – and each is a work of art. Argilos beach in particular deserves a visit for the natural clay that you can use as a skin-softening body mask – and photo opportunity!
Take the winding road upwards, out of Xerokambos, for an unforgettable bird’s-eye view of the coast and, if you’re fond of exploring, diminutive Kato Zakros is just a 20-minute drive away. As well as Minoan ruins, and the Gorge of the Dead at the end of the E4 walking trail, there’s Pelekita Cave, a vast cavern of stalagmites and crystals. Or for a livelier experience, visit famous Vai Beach, the ‘taste of paradise’ featured in the Bounty commercial. Less than an hour’s drive away, it’s surrounded by Europe’s only palm forest and has all the facilities you could wish for.
- 2 bedroom villa (sleeps 2-4)
- Living/dining area with TV (English-speaking news channels)
- Kitchen with oven, hob, microwave, fridge-freezer, dishwasher, washing machine
Upper ground Floor
- 3 steps up
- Double bedroom (160cm x 200cm bed)
- Twin bedroom (90cm x 200cm beds)
- Complimentary WiFi
- Air-conditioned throughout
- Iron, ironing board, hairdryer, pool and bath towels provided
- Outside shaded dining area
- Private swimming pool 8m x 4m (depth 0.60 – 1.5m)
- Situated on a slope overlooking the beach and sea
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails*
* We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
National tourist licence (EOT): 1335-13-0370
- Xerokambos beach 5min walk
- Mini-market 20min walk
- Taverna 20min walk
- Kato Zakros 20min drive
- Ziros 30min drive
- Makrigialos 60min drive
- Sitia 60min drive
- Heraklion Airport (via Ierapetra) 2hr 45min
Based on the number of people travelling, the following hire car(s) are included in the package price of your holiday:
- 2-3 guests – 1 Group C, Fiat Grande Punto or similar*
- 4 guests – 1 Group D, Hyundai i30 or similar*
* All our cars include comprehensive insurance with no excess charge. For this particular destination, the undercarriage, tyres, wing mirrors and windscreen are not included in the cover.
Group C – 1.2-1.4 litre engine, 1 large and 1 small suitcase*
Group D – 1.4 litre engine, 2 large suitcases*
The following cars are available as alternatives on request (supplements apply). Please call our travel specialists for details.
Group DA – Automatic Hyundai Accent Verna or similar, 1.4 litre engine, 2 large suitcases*
Group D3 – Skoda Octavia or similar, 1.4 - 2.0 litre engine, 3 large suitcases*
Group L1 – Hyundai Tuscon 4x4 Hard Top or similar, 2.0 litre engine, 3 large suitcases*
* Suitcase sizes are based on a large suitcase being approximately 75cm x 41cm x 31cm, a medium suitcase of approximately 65cm x 46cm x 29cm and a small suitcase of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm.
Our choice of Greek properties is as diverse as the islands themselves, ranging from simple seaside charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal. To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
A destination where tourism is not the local raison d’être, this is a place to relax unreservedly into a life by the sea. The landscape is rugged – mountains, gorges and rocky hillsides scattered with tiny villages and ancient ruins – but some of Crete’s finest beaches belong here too. Among them are spectacular Xerokambos and palm-fringed Vai, whilst Palekastro is one of Europe’s favourite windsurfing spots. And there are plenty of excellent waterfront tavernas where the passing of time is best marked by the waves rolling in nearby.
To base yourself in this idyllic destination, visit our collection of handpicked villas in and around Palekastro and the far east of Crete.
View holiday Booking Conditions