In this section...
- Historic cave-house hotel
- Immaculate, sympathetic renovation
- Terrace bar and restaurant
- Central Sassi location
- Town and canyon views
Just as oysters were once the food of London’s hungry poor, so the cave dwellings of Matera were once home to its most needy residents, with evidence of continuous human habitation going back to Neolithic times. Despite plans to obliterate the site with bombs in the 1950s, this extraordinary piece of living history has not merely survived but thrived. Thanks to a visionary local authority, the once-humble Sassi district now hums to the upmarket beat of boutique hotels, restaurants, wine bars, a spa and, very, very occasionally, a cinematic, high-speed car chase!
Set in the heart of the Sassi, the five-star Quarry Hotel combines some of the original cave houses with the remains of Palazzo Zicari in a makeover that promises a truly memorable hotel experience. Within its ancient, cappuccino-coloured walls, the luxurious rooms and suites are all beautifully finished, each with a palpable sense of the past. The rooms are faintly monastic yet intimately romantic; barrel-vaulted ceilings and snow-white or frescoed walls create the perfect foil for contemporary indulgences, from rainfall showers in the double rooms to private wellness areas in some of the suites.
The Matera skyline, one of the spectacular backdrops for the film No Time to Die, is arguably the most iconic view in the entire region and it’s all yours to savour from The Quarry’s terrace cocktail bar and restaurant. The location couldn’t be more central and as traffic is heavily restricted, the streets are a joy to wander as you soak up the unique atmosphere of the Sassi. From home-made gelato and pizza to posh tasting plates, the town is full of tempting restaurants tucked into cave houses or perched overlooking the ravine that drops away below the town; look out for the sweet, smoky Senise peppers that add an earthy depth to pasta dishes and make a wonderful gift to take home.
Matera sits just over the regional border from Puglia, but as it’s one of the absolute highlights of the area we couldn’t resist including it in our Puglia collection. Staying in Matera also lets you experience this UNESCO World Heritage site in relative peace once the day visitors have left, and makes a wonderful 3-night addition to a week or two at one of our Puglian villas.
Explore our pre-bookable experiences in Puglia
- 12 suites in the heart of Sassi, Matera
- Junior Pool Suites - 202, 203, 308 and 413
- Superior Suites - 304, 306, 309 and 412
- Queen Suites - 305, 410 and 411
- King Pool Suites - 307
- Complimentary WiFi
- Air-conditioned throughout
- Daily breakfast included
- Reception/guest service desk
- Breakfast room
- Lounge bar terrace
- Smoking area
- Daily clean
- Twice-weekly linen change
All suites (see separate Suites tab for individual details and photographs)
- Air conditioning
- Satellite flat screen TV (English-speaking channels)
- Hairdryer, bath towels and Simpson Travel pool/beach towels
- Mini fridge
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails. We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes, due to factors beyond our control, reliability can be affected.
National tourist licence (CIS): BA07202562000014191
- Check in time – 3:30pm - 12:00am
- Check out time – 7:00am - 11:00am
- Restaurant (Quarry Lounge Terrace-Garden) on-site
- Basic shops and supermarket (Diva supermarket) 5min walk
- Bike hire (train station) 20min walk
- Beach (Metaponto) 45min drive
- Bari airport 1hr drive
- Brindisi airport 2hr drive
This property is priced on an accommodation-only basis. To view details of recommended flights please click here.
We are happy to arrange your car hire in Italy; please click here to view options and prices. All hire cars booked with us include:
- Fully inclusive insurance, with zero excess*
- Free additional driver
When you book your car with us, we'll also make sure the paperwork is done in advance, leaving you free to simply check and sign for the vehicle when you arrive. For further information regarding travel arrangements click here.
* For this particular destination, the undercarriage is not included in the cover.
Our choice of Italian properties is diverse, ranging from simple charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal.
To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
There’s a different side of Italy to discover on a holiday in Puglia – the land of the trulli, ancient olive groves and historic towns that take you on a journey from Byzantine to Baroque. And then there are the countless beaches and beach clubs that capture the diversity of this absorbing destination: unspoilt, unpretentious and full of creative flair, where the generosity of the locals is matched by the excellence of its cuisine.
Explore our pre-bookable experiences in Puglia.
BookingMultiple.mustache file to be converted
View holiday Booking Conditions