In this section...
- Stunning nature reserve location
- Comfortable country villa
- Unique natural rock pool
- Walking distance to beach
- Nardò 15-minute drive
This beautiful nature reserve location is a true take on the road less travelled – and the restrictions that came with the protected land prompted some lateral thinking from architects Sabina and her husband Luigi. However, they rose to the challenge of transforming the abandoned 19th-century ruins they found there into a delightful small house full of personality and style. They then made it unforgettable by incorporating a natural rock pool in the garden as the swimming pool.
The crystal-clear water is connected to the sea 800 metres away and is sometimes salty depending on the direction of the wind. It’s also a constant 19 degrees. But best of all: a cooling dip has never felt more romantic. Walking over the rocks to the water’s edge offers the same sense of excited discovery you might have felt as a child exploring rock pools by the sea – and yet this is a thoroughly grown-up place to stay.
Thick walls of cream-coloured stone and pale wooden-beamed ceilings are offset by soothing shades of green and blue – a feature wall here, a cushion there – all echoes of the surrounding landscape. Stargazers will love the master bedroom, full of nautical touches, which features a double skylight above the bed, opened by an intriguing winch and pulley system. And amongst the natural robustness of the building itself, there are lighter touches: polished ceramic lampstands, sepia-tinted photographs, a classical sculpture tucked into an alcove and valuable artwork behind the beds by Dirk Verdoorn, an official ‘Painter of the Fleet’.
Outside, you’ll find seating by the pool, a table and chairs under the olive trees and a barbecue area. Instead of cultivated flowerbeds, cactuses spring up from the rich red soil. It’s Puglia as nature intended, with stone pathways to help you navigate it.
Just off a minor road, Nautica House is an easy four-minute drive from the lively fishing village of Sant' Isidoro, which has everything you need for stocking up or eating out, as well as a beach that buzzes in high season. The nearest town is Nardò, a 15-minute drive away, with its impressive cathedral and town square, castle and pristine coastline, parts of which fall into the domain of the Portaselvaggio National Park. Also overlooking the sparkling Ionian, the village of Porto Cesareo, a 20-minute drive away, has a popular fish market, as well as shops and a further choice of restaurants.
- 2 bedroom house (sleeps 2-4)
- Sitting room with fireplace and Satellite TV
- Open-plan kitchen/dining area
- Kitchen includes gas hob, microwave, fridge-freezer, dishwasher
- 2 double bedrooms
- Steps down to bathroom with stone bath and shower
- Complimentary WiFi
- Air-conditioning in sitting room and kitchen
- Standing fan and table fan
- Iron, ironing board, hairdryer, pool and bath towels provided
- Washing machine
- Covered outdoor dining area
- Natural saltwater rock pool, irregular shape (depth 1.2m – 1.3m depending on the tide); non-slip shoes are recommended for walking around the pool area
- Children under the age of 12 are not accepted due to low walls and an open staircase in the garden
- Some road noise might be heard from a secondary road that runs not far from the house
- A daily tourist tax applies for the first week of your stay only, which means that an average of €1.50 per person (12+ years) may be charged. This should be paid in cash during your stay.
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails*
* We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
- Check in time – 4-8pm
- Check out time – 10am
- Frascone Beach 15min walk
- Sant’ Isidoro (beach/restaurant/bar/bakery/mini-market) 4min drive
- Nardò (shops/restaurant/supermarket) 15min drive
- Porto Cesareo (shops/restaurant/supermarket) 20min drive
- Lecce 40min drive
- Brindisi airport 1hr drive
- Bari airport 2hr 15min drive
Although this property is booked on an accommodation-only basis, we can arrange car hire for you.
Based on the number of people travelling, the following hire car(s) are available:
- 2 guests – 1 group B, Fiat Panda or similar*
- 3 guests – 1 group C, Lancia Ypsilon or similar*
- 4 guests – 1 group D, Volkswagen Golf or similar*
* All our cars include comprehensive insurance with zero excess. For this particular destination, the undercarriage is not included in the cover.
Group B – 1.2 litre engine, 2 small suitcases*
Group C – 1.2 litre engine, 2 medium suitcases*
Group D – 1.6 litre engine, 3 large suitcases*
The following cars are available as alternatives on request (supplements apply). Please call our travel specialists for details.
Group F – Volkswagen Golf AUT or similar, 1.6 litre engine, 3 large suitcases*
* Suitcase sizes are based on a large suitcase being approximately 75cm x 41cm x 31cm, a medium suitcase of approximately 65cm x 46cm x 29cm and a small suitcase of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm.
Our choice of Italian properties is diverse, ranging from simple charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal.
To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
There’s a different side of Italy to discover on a holiday in Puglia – the land of the trulli, ancient olive groves and historic towns that take you on a journey from Byzantine to Baroque. And then there are the countless beaches and beach clubs that capture the diversity of this absorbing destination: unspoilt, unpretentious and full of creative flair, where the generosity of the locals is matched by the excellence of its cuisine.
View holiday Booking Conditions