In this section...
- Stylishly restored Masseria in southern Puglia
- Elegant restaurant and bar
- Complimentary welcome dinner
- Beautiful gardens and grounds
- Spa and treatments available
- Short stroll to the beach
- 30min drive to Lecce
Reserve your 2024 holiday online with a fully refundable deposit of £500. Simply select your preferred dates or find out more here.
Puglia is a place with an astonishing and varied history that pre-dates all known civilisations. It hides its treasures well and despite boasting a vast 800km of coastline, even the beaches reveal themselves slowly here and finding a hidden gem within walking distance of the sea it is not as easy as you might imagine. So we were delighted to discover Masseria Mongiò dell Elefante, a stylish restoration in the unspoilt Salento region of southern Puglia, a short stroll from the glittering shores of the Adriatic. A tranquil oasis of beauty and sophistication, our Partner Hotel also enjoys a privileged position close to some of the region’s most celebrated historic towns and villages.
17 suites enjoy this wonderful spot, all with either small garden or terrace overlooking the lovely grounds - some with enticing views across the treetops to the sea. Spacious, tastefully appointed and in perfect harmony with the beauty of their natural surroundings, the suites sleep two to four and feel contemporary and comfortable, maintaining the quiet simplicity so befitting of this magical region.
The generous pool and its surrounding terrace is an inviting venue for lazy days in the sun and a five-minute stroll along a fragrant pathway through the trees leads to the beach and the crystalline waters of Baia dei Turchi. If you long to bathe and snorkel in a place largely untouched by mainstream tourism, this is it – or for a little more infrastructure, there’s a charming beach club just a short walk or cycle ride away and complimentary bikes are available to hotel guests looking to explore the local area.
Daily breakfast is included, and the elegant hotel restaurant and dining terrace promise a timeless experience overlooking the gardens, serving beautifully presented dishes that showcase the freshest fish and a wealth of local produce. The hotel has its own vegetable garden too and you’ll find a tempting selection of oranges, pomegranates and corbezzolo adorning the many fruit trees as you meander through the grounds.
The hotel spa, complete with Turkish bath, sauna and large hydrotherapy pool, offers a range of massage treatments to ensure your stay is as indulgent as it is restful but when you are ready to up the ante a little, the stunning coastal town of Otranto (a World Heritage Site for Peace) is just a five-minute drive away.
This utterly bewitching town, the most easterly in Italy, is home to the magnificent Castello Aragonese and the Duomo di Otranto which dates back to the 11th century. Among the maze of narrow streets, you’ll find countless other treasures - not to mention a tempting selection of restaurants and an authentically local café society.
Further afield, Lecce is a half-hour drive away and offers culture and cuisine to rival anywhere in Italy. The jewel in the crown of Puglia’s baroque period, it also plays hosts to a wealth of exhibitions, music festivals and artistic events throughout the year.
A perfect base for anyone wishing to discover Italy’s southern tip, Masseria Mongiò dell Elefante can be booked alone, or combined with a stay in one of our villas or hotels in northern Puglia, allowing you the flexibility to discover as much or as little of this unique region as you choose.
- 17 suites
- Junior Suite Deluxe (sleeps 2-3)
- Suite (Sleeps 2-4)
Please note: An extra charge is applicable for third and fourth persons sharing a suite; contact one of our Destination Specialists for further information.
- Complimentary WiFi
- 24hr reception
- Restaurant and dining terrace
- Daily maid service
- Private swimming pool 9m x 18m (depth 0.2 – 1.4m)
- Spa with hydromassage, indoor pool, sauna, Hammam and massage treatments (payable locally)
- Complimentary 1hr use of the spa for all stays of three nights or more
- Bicycles free of charge (subject to availability)
- Laundry service available (payable locally)
- In Italy, a daily tourist tax applies for the first two weeks of your stay only, which means that an average of €2 per person (12+ years) may be charged. This should be paid in cash to your hotel owner during your stay.
- Our Covid-19 pledge means your holiday is fully protected. However, there may be special conditions surrounding flexible booking at this property. For further details, please visit: /covid-pledge-flexible-booking.
Room and food service
- Room service (payable locally)
- Daily buffet breakfast included
- Lunch and dinner are available at the restaurant (payable locally)
- One complimentary four-course welcome dinner (drinks excluded) for all stays of five nights or more
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails. We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes, due to factors beyond our control, reliability can be affected.
- Check in time – 3pm
- Check out time – 10:30am
- Baia dei Turchi (beach) 5min walk
- Torre Santo Stefano (shops, restaurants) 25min walk
- Otranto (Port) 20min drive
- Lecce 30min drive
- Brindisi airport 1hr 20min drive
- Ostuni 1hr 40min drive
This property is priced on an accommodation-only basis. To view details of recommended flights please click here.
We are happy to arrange your car hire in Italy; please click here to view options and prices. All hire cars booked with us include:
- Fully inclusive insurance, with zero excess*
- Free additional driver
For further information regarding travel arrangements click here.
* For this particular destination, the undercarriage is not included in the cover.
Another fantastic Simpson Travel holiday. Lovely hotel, excellent food and first class pool.
Mrs Prudden, June 2022
Excellent location, fantastic pool, very very helpful and friendly staff. Nothing was too much trouble. Glad we booked through you as our flight was cancelled and rearranged by your team with minimal disruption. Meant we could enjoy our holiday without having to worry. Thank you very much
Christopher Sutton, June 2022
Our choice of Italian properties is diverse, ranging from simple charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal.
To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
There’s a different side of Italy to discover on a holiday in Puglia – the land of the trulli, ancient olive groves and historic towns that take you on a journey from Byzantine to Baroque. And then there are the countless beaches and beach clubs that capture the diversity of this absorbing destination: unspoilt, unpretentious and full of creative flair, where the generosity of the locals is matched by the excellence of its cuisine.
To complete the picture, explore our collection of handpicked villas, and Partner Hotels to fully immerse yourself in the local culture.
Explore our pre-bookable experiences in Puglia.
BookingMultiple.mustache file to be converted
View holiday Booking Conditions