In this section...
- Short walk to best beach in Crete
- Set in unspoilt Xerokambos
- Beautiful views
- Short drive to tavernas
As tantalisingly close to the Caribbean as you can get without actually being there, the unspoilt beaches of Xerokambos are the most beautiful in Crete; their feather-soft white sands and turquoise waters the ingredients of an unforgettable holiday. And despite the sense of blissful ‘remoteness’, you’re still only a few minutes’ drive from shops and tavernas.
Villa Kambos is set discretely into a hillside, just a few minutes’ walk from the beach. In harmony with the natural environment, it’s charming inside and out, and a comfortable, welcoming home to return to after a day of sun, sea and exploring. A swimming pool is being added over the winter, along with new beds, and furniture for the terrace: the perfect vantage point for appreciating your idyllic surroundings. Villa Almyra, its identical twin, sits below, and for two families or couples travelling together, these villas complement each other beautifully. Choose Kambos, however, and you’ll have the slightly better vantage point for soaking up those spectacular sea views.
Following the gentle curve of Crete’s southeast coastline, each of the Xerokambos beaches has its own unique personality. Just a 5 minute drive away, two are well organised which, combined with the calm, shallow waters and a couple of tavernas ideally situated perfect for a relaxing lunch, makes them ideal if you’re holidaying with little ones. The rest have been left as nature intended – and each is a work of art. Argilos beach in particular deserves a visit for the natural clay that you can use as a skin-softening body mask – and photo opportunity!
The winding road into the hills above Xerokambos is one of the most scenic on the island and if you’re venturing out and about, diminutive Kato Zakros is just a 20-minute drive away. There you’ll find the ruins of a Minoan palace; Pelekita Cave, a vast cavern of stalagmites and crystals, and the Gorge of the Dead at the end of the E4 walking trail. Or for a livelier experience, visit famous Vai Beach. This ‘taste of paradise’ featured in the Bounty commercial is less than an hour’s drive away, and comes with watersports, restaurants and Europe’s only palm forest, as well as all the facilities you could wish for.
- 2 bedroom villa (sleeps 2- 4)
- Living/dining area with TV (English-speaking news channels)
- Kitchen with oven, hob, microwave, fridge-freezer, dishwasher, washing machine
Upper ground floor
- 3 steps up
- Double bedroom (160cm x 200cm bed)
- Twin bedroom (90cm x 200cm beds)
- Complimentary WiFi
- Air-conditioned throughout
- Iron, ironing board, hairdryer, pool and bath towels provided
- Outside shaded dining area
- Private swimming pool 8m x 4m (depth 0.60 – 1.5m)
- Situated on a slope overlooking the beach and sea
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails*
* We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
National tourist licence (EOT): 1335-13-0370
- Xerokambos beach 5min walk
- Mini-market 20min walk
- Taverna 20min walk
- Kato Zakros 20min drive
- Ziros 30min drive
- Makrigialos 60min drive
- Sitia 60min drive
- Heraklion Airport (via Ierapetra) 2hr 45min
Based on the number of people travelling, the following hire car(s) are included in the package price of your holiday:
- 2-3 guests – 1 Group C, Fiat Grande Punto or similar*
- 4 guests – 1 Group D, Hyundai i30 or similar*
* All our cars include comprehensive insurance with no excess charge. For this particular destination, the undercarriage, tyres, wing mirrors and windscreen are not included in the cover.
Group C – 1.2-1.4 litre engine, 1 large and 1 small suitcase*
Group D – 1.4 litre engine, 2 large suitcases*
The following cars are available as alternatives on request (supplements apply). Please call our travel specialists for details.
Group DA – Automatic Hyundai Accent Verna or similar, 1.4 litre engine, 2 large suitcases*
Group D3 – Skoda Octavia or similar, 1.4 - 2.0 litre engine, 3 large suitcases*
Group L1 – Hyundai Tuscon 4x4 Hard Top or similar, 2.0 litre engine, 3 large suitcases*
* Suitcase sizes are based on a large suitcase being approximately 75cm x 41cm x 31cm, a medium suitcase of approximately 65cm x 46cm x 29cm and a small suitcase of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm.
Our choice of Greek properties is as diverse as the islands themselves, ranging from simple seaside charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal. To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
A destination where tourism is not the local raison d’être, this is a place to relax unreservedly into a life by the sea. The landscape is rugged – mountains, gorges and rocky hillsides scattered with tiny villages and ancient ruins – but some of Crete’s finest beaches belong here too. Among them are spectacular Xerokambos and palm-fringed Vai, whilst Palekastro is one of Europe’s favourite windsurfing spots. And there are plenty of excellent waterfront tavernas where the passing of time is best marked by the waves rolling in nearby.
To base yourself in this idyllic destination, visit our collection of handpicked villas in and around Palekastro and the far east of Crete.
View holiday Booking Conditions