In this section...
- New for 2017 - introductory offer
- Four comfortable self-catering suites
- Magical beachfront location
- On Crete's unspoilt southern shore
- Walking distance to hotel taverna and amenities
These four charming suites sit just steps away from Ferma beach, screened by tamarisk trees and furnished with a wooden walkway leading directly from suite to sea. Located on the south east coast between Ierapetra and Makriyialos, Cretophiles might recognise this delightfully unspoilt spot as Crete the way it used to be, whilst those new to the area are in for a real treat.
The Apothikes were originally used as warehouses for carob pods, once widely cultivated in Crete and exported all over the world. The trade declined and the warehouses were abandoned, but a local hotelier quickly saw the potential of this superb location and converted the building into four, comfortable self-catering suites, each with its own patio, barbecue and sunbeds. This means that not only can you wander out of your front door and straight onto the beach, as an Apothikes guest you can also enjoy the pool and beach area at the stylish Kakkos Bay hotel, taverna and spa, just a 5-minute walk away. The beach taverna in particular comes highly recommended offering delicious local cuisine in a fabulous location overlooking the sea.
The suites have enormous appeal for a young family in search of simple seaside pleasures; the beach is a mix of sand and shingle, with irresistibly clear water for paddling or snorkelling, and even little legs can manage the walk to the hotel taverna. This location is also excellent for a couple interested in exploring the southern coast, with characterful towns such as Ierapetra and the beaches and seafront tavernas of Makriyialos just 20 minutes away by car. And if you have time, a trip inland will reward you with outstanding views across stunning, other-worldly landscapes that few visitors ever get to see.
Four beachfront suites
- Ammos, Avra, Ilios and Thalassa
- All identical, except for Ammos which has an en-suite bathroom
- Open-plan living/dining/kitchen area with Satellite TV
- Kitchen includes full-size cooker, microwave, fridge-freezer
- Double bedroom
- Bathroom with shower over ½ bath
- Two divan beds in living area suitable for children under 16
- Complimentary wifi
- Air-conditioned throughout
- Iron, ironing board, hair dryer, bath and pool towels provided
- Washing machine
- Private sunbeds
- Patio dining table and chairs
- Wooden decked paths lead towards the sea
- Parking space
- Access to Kakkos Bay Hotel and Spa – complimentary use of swimming pool and hotel beach
- Apothikes guests benefit from a 20% discount on Kakkos Bay Hotel Spa treatments
- Complimentary 15min massage
Spa, taverna and breakfast at hotel payable locally
- All properties with wifi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails*
* We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
National tourist licence (EOT): 1040K10000042300
- Located on Ferma beach
- Kakkos Bay Hotel 5min walk uphill
- Ferma village mini market and tavernas 10min walk
- Ierapetra 20min drive
- Makriyialos 20min drive
- Agios Nikolaos 40min drive
- Heraklion airport 1hr 35min drive
Based on the number of people travelling, the following hire car(s) are included in the package price of your holiday:
- 2-3 guests – 1 Group C, Fiat Grande Punto or similar*
- 4 guests – 1 Group D, Hyundai i30 or similar*
* All our cars include comprehensive insurance with no excess charge. For this particular destination, the undercarriage, tyres, wing mirrors and windscreen are not included in the cover.
Group C – 1.2-1.4 litre engine, 1 large and 1 small suitcase*
Group D – 1.4 litre engine, 2 large suitcases*
The following cars are available as alternatives on request (supplements apply). Please call our travel specialists for details.
Group F1 – Fiat Doblo or similar, 1.6-2.0 litre engine, no suitcases with full occupancy*
Group G1 – Fiat Scudo 9 seater or similar, 2.0 litre engine, 3 large suitcases*
Group DA – Automatic Hyundai Accent Verna or similar, 1.4 litre engine, 2 large suitcases*
Group L1 – Hyundai Tuscon 4x4 Hard Top or similar, 2.0 litre engine, 3 large suitcases*
* Suitcase sizes are based on a large suitcase being approximately 75cm x 41cm x 31cm, a medium suitcase of approximately 65cm x 46cm x 29cm and a small suitcase of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm.
Stunning location, secluded accommodation with the benefit of using nearby hotel facilities, had a very relaxing holiday.
Mrs Scott – October 2017
A lovely, relaxing place. The location on the beach was perfect and the sound of the waves lapping just outside was very special. We had a very easy, relaxing and special holiday. Everything was organised so well that any portal stress were taken out of the equation before we arrived. A door to door service really, we wouldn't hesitate to recommend both the villa and Simpson's to anyone.
Mr Urwin – October 2017
If you want excellence at all levels, I do not think you could be disappointed with Simpsons. They attend to the little details, starting with when you book your holiday to when you drop off your vehicle at the end! As we all know, it is the small touches that shift anything from 'good enough' to excellent - and that is what you get. A very happy Simpson traveler.
Ms Dunne – October 2017
My husband and I stayed in Apothikes to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. It was the perfect spot for a second honeymoon and although we felt we really should explore the island a little more, we found it impossible to drag ourselves away from our perfect little spot in paradise....nothing beats waking up to the waves lapping against the shore and the sun beating through the shutters every morning.
Mrs Taylor – October 2017
A lovely relaxing week at Apothikes beach suites - a beautiful location. Thank you to Evie - looking forward to seeing you next week.
Chris & Jim – September 2017
Kakkos Bay is an incredibly beautiful setting and the apartment being right on the beach is a rare treat indeed. We enjoyed the apartment and setting so much we could hardly bring ourselves to get in the car to have a look around! Everyone we dealt with was friendly and helpful. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this holiday and can't wait to return to Crete enjoy the blissful relaxation again.
Mrs Butcher – August 2017
Spectacular location - we loved being so close to the sea! Lovely accommodation and very helpful hotel staff. Fabulous week, shame to go but hope to come back.
The Clements family – July 2017
Our choice of Greek properties is as diverse as the islands themselves, ranging from simple seaside charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal. To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
If you prefer the great outdoors still largely unspoilt, Eastern Crete should be on your list. From picturesque walking trails to dramatic gorges, Blue Flag beaches to windsurfing hotspots, it offers nature both wild and peaceful – and a host of traditional villages scattered in between, including Palekastro.
Should you need to touch base with more contemporary pursuits, Crete’s most easterly town, Sitia, will be happy to oblige with its shops, festival venue and restaurant-lined waterfront.
To base yourself in this ruggedly beautiful destination, visit our collection of handpicked villas in and around Palekastro and East Crete.
View holiday Booking Conditions