In this section...
- Charming characterful home
- Stunning Basque Country views
- 12m heated swimming pool
- Ideal for couples or families
- Beautiful St Jean de Luz 10-minute drive
Advance Registration... select your dates and reserve your 2023 holiday online, with a fully refundable deposit of £500.
This charming country villa is beautifully light and airy, with exposed beams and contemporary artworks providing character and colour. It’s a house that lends itself brilliantly to outdoor living, from the generously sized heated pool to the handy plancha barbecue where you can grill some spicy local merguez sausages or perhaps the catch of the day from St-Jean-de-Luz, just a short drive away. The views are delightful, creating a glorious green backdrop of hills and rolling Basque countryside, yet little more than five kilometres from the coast.
The villa is ideal for couples or families, offering three bedrooms, a large country kitchen and an open-plan living/dining area. For those travelling with friends or early-rising little ones, there’s ample opportunity for everyone to find a little space to call their own and for larger groups, there's an option to rent an additional suite located on the lower level, with two en-suite bedrooms, independent living room and kitchen (for prices see Batzari). But whether you're looking for a romantic week à deux or a family house party en masse Petite Batzari is an excellent choice for anyone keen to enjoy the magnificent walking, cycling and dining opportunities that this delightful region has to offer.
The local area
The villa enjoys a tranquil position within 15 minutes’ drive of St Jean de Luz, arguably the most appealing town in the area. This fishing-port-turned-holiday-town is known as the gourmet centre for Basque cuisine, with a host of excellent bars and restaurants, a rich cultural calendar, an array of attractive boutique shops and a colourful covered market showcasing the very finest local produce. The sweeping sandy beach here is one of the best along this coastline for younger children, protected by a breakwater to keep the Atlantic swell at bay but older children and adults in search of adventure will enjoy the numerous watersports on offer.
Inland, pretty Ascain has an authentic feel, characterised by half-timbered houses and typical village shops that pre-date the hypermarchés by a hundred years or more! You’ll also find excellent traditional restaurants here for lunch or dinner. Further south, as you head towards Spain, Urrugne is well worth a visit and lively Hendaye, with its three-kilometre long beach is just a little further.
A day tour of the Basque villages such as Ascain, Ainhoa, Sare and Espelette makes for a pleasing contrast to the coast; for something different again, don’t miss a trip into Spain and the old town of Hondarrabia or the celebrated cities of San Sebastian, Pamplona and Bilbao, home to the famous Guggenheim museum. Hendaye beach beckons with all manner of watersports and a thalassotherapy spa. For a more typically Basque experience, take a wander around the old town to sample pintxos or perhaps catch a lively game of pelota. Bayonne, capital of the Pays Basque, sits quietly under the tourist radar but rewards visitors with narrow medieval streets and a fine Gothic cathedral, not to mention of course its eponymous jambon. Some of southern Europe’s most majestic mountains are accessible in the Pyrénées National Park, whilst the grandeur and lively surf chic of Biarritz make for a unique atmosphere, whether you’re braving the waves or just enjoying the spectacle from the cafés and restaurants along the shore. Stunning coastal walks connect from Bidart through Guéthary and St Jean de Luz, and as far as Hendaye on the Spanish border. Drinks, dinner and sunset from one of Bidart or Guéthary’s sea-view restaurants is a holiday highlight.
Explore our pre-bookable experiences in Aquitaine
- 3 bedroom villa (sleeps 6)
- Option to rent independent 2 bedroom suite (see Batzari)
- Open-plan living/dining area with flat screen TV (English-speaking channels), DVD player
- Country-style kitchen with oven, microwave, coffee-maker, fridge-freezer, dishwasher
- Double bedroom (160cm bed can be converted into twins on request) with en-suite shower room and WC
- Double bedroom (180cm bed, can be converted into twins on request)
- Triple bedroom (90cm beds, two can be converted into a double on request)
- Bathroom with bath and separate shower (no WC)
- Complimentary WiFi
- Iron, ironing board, hairdryer and pool towels provided
- Cot, high chair and baby bath available
- Table tennis
- Table football
- Smoking is not permitted in the house
- Pets are not permitted
- Outside dining area
- Gas plancha and charcoal barbecue
- Poolhouse with shower and WC (could be converted into studio bedroom)
- Heated swimming pool 12m x 4.5m (depth 1.55m throughout), Roman steps, electric cover
- Pool heating is included mid-June to mid-September, outside of these times heating is charged at £150/week and must be pre-booked in advance
- Parking with electric gates
- Activities nearby include surfing, sailing, kayaking, golf, cycling, horse riding, birdwatching, children’s adventure park, spa and thalassotherapy
- For further information on Terms and Conditions specific to this French property please click here
Villa access times
- Check-in time – 5.00-7.00pm
- Check-out time – 10.00am
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails*
* We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
- Weekly change of linen, bath and pool towels for bookings of two weeks or more
- Cleaning 2 hours/week every Tuesday
Optional services offered
- Chef (pre-booking essential)
- Babysitting €15/hour
- All extra services payable locally
- Prices quoted are subject to change
- Ferry ports
St Malo 744km
- TGV stations
- Bakery/butchers/restaurant (Urrugne) 8min drive (4km)
- Golf La Nivelle 7min drive (5km)
- Ascain 10min drive (5km)
- Beach (St Jean de Luz) 12min drive (6km)
- Beach (Hendaye-Plage) 16min drive (12km)
- Taxi boat from France to Spain (Hendaye Port) 20min drive (14km)
Our choice of French properties is diverse, ranging from simple charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal.
To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
Steeped in Basque traditions as old as the hills, this destination reflects a very different take on ‘Frenchness’: one that’s also imbued with the colours of Spain just a short drive away. And if swimming, sunbathing, surfing and sandy beaches don’t appeal, you can try a thalassotherapy spa session, watch an adrenaline-fuelled game of Basque pelote or flex your cultural muscle along the narrow streets of ancient towns and pristine villages where museums, galleries and restaurants are in plentiful supply.
View holiday Booking Conditions