In this section...
- Stylish character holiday home
- Private dining courtyard
- Short walk to shops and restaurants
- Easy cycle to beach
- Ideal for couples or families
Advance Registration... select your dates and reserve your 2023 holiday online, with a fully refundable deposit of £500.
Enviably located in central Saint Martin, Maison Cothonneau offers that most sought-after combination of Ile de Ré character and effortless contemporary style. From the airy open plan living area to the cosy bedrooms decked out in summery seaside shades, this is a place that encourages you to linger in its gorgeous, high-ceilinged spaces and enjoy the singular holiday pleasure of having nothing too pressing to do.
Start your day with breakfast in the courtyard perhaps, even better if someone’s been kind enough to pop out to the covered market for still-warm bread and maybe some seasonal strawberries. The beauty of the location means a good degree of privacy thanks to the enclosed patio, plus easy pedestrian access to the quayside shops and restaurants that make Saint Martin so incredibly desirable. You can unload on arrival, then park the car 500m from the house and pretty much forget about it for the duration if you so choose. With its elegant decor and an upstairs suite complete with balcony, Maison Cothonneau would make a wonderful honeymoon nest, but works equally well for two couples. For all their considerable chic, both the house and Saint Martin itself are also a good choice for families, with beaches easily accessible by bike and a rather nostalgic, bucket-and-spade vibe reminiscent of childhood holidays and simpler times.
Maison Cothonneau is located on a quiet, cobbled lane in the heart of Saint-Martin-de-Ré, within easy walking distance of the harbour, covered market, food shops and numerous places to eat and drink. Saint Martin itself has impressive fortifications to explore, and all the island’s roads and excellent cycle paths converge here, so you really are at the heart of the heart! For young families we recommend Saint Martin’s own toddler-friendly beach, La Cible, just a 10-minute bike ride away. In 15-20 minutes you can cross the island to Le Bois Plage (4km), a larger beach with dunes and a few waves to play in. Ré may be small but there’s always plenty to do in addition to bikes and beaches, with surfing, paddleboarding, sailing, boat trips, birdwatching and oyster tasting all on the menu not far away.
- 3 bedroom house (sleeps 2-6)
- Open-plan living/dining/kitchen area with access to patio
- Kitchen with hob, oven, microwave, Nespresso coffee machine, fridge-freezer, dishwasher
- Small utility room with washing machine
- Patio with covered outdoor seating area and a bike storage area
- Twin bedroom (80 x 200cm beds) with en-suite shower room with WC, independently accessed from the patio
- Double bedroom (180cm bed, can be converted into twin beds on request)
- Double bedroom (160cm bed) with en-suite shower room and balcony
- Bathroom with bath and overhead shower
- Complimentary WiFi
- Cot and high chair available on request
- Iron, ironing board and hairdryer
- Simpson Travel beach towels
- Smoking/vaping is not permitted anywhere on the property
- Free parking available outside town walls 500m away
- Activities close by include cycling, horse riding, surfing, windsurfing, kayaking, paddle-boarding, fishing, oyster-tasting, boat trips
- For further information on Terms and Conditions specific to this French property please click here
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails. We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
- Check-in time – 5-7pm
- Check-out time – 10am
- Weekly clean and linen change for stays of two weeks or more
Optional services offered
- Bike rental and delivery (please enquire)
- All extra services payable locally
- Prices quoted are subject to change
- Saint Martin centre (market, bakery, shops, restaurants) 5min walk
- Le Clément (local beach) 20min walk or 5min bike ride (1,500m)
- Le Bois Plage (watersports beaches) 15min bike ride (4km)
- Well-connected by cycle trails to other island villages (Loix, Ars, La Flotte, La Couarde)
Our choice of France properties is diverse, ranging from simple charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal.
To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
Described as the Pearl of the Atlantic, Ile de Ré has long since been on the radar of upmarket Parisians, sailors and sophisticates, famed for the beauty of its contrasting landscapes and the refined elegance of its towns and villages. The island’s ease of access and well-marked cycle trails afford a realistic opportunity for a car-free holiday and with 100km of glorious unspoilt coastline, a micro-climate that makes it one of the sunniest regions in France and a way of life that celebrates nature and conservation, this chic little island is an enchanting destination for beach-lovers, foodies and anyone looking to embrace the great outdoors.
View holiday Booking Conditions