In this section...
- Beautifully converted farmhouse
- Family friendly
- Heated swimming pool
- Extensive gardens
- Tranquil country location
- Beach 20-minute drive
Look forward to 2023... The majority of our 2023 holidays are now ready to book. Where prices are not yet available, please secure your preferred dates using our Advance Registration scheme.
This charming farmhouse-style conversion nestles in tranquil countryside within easy reach of the beaches of Hossegor. With its vine-draped terrace, exposed beams, blue painted shutters and cool tiled floors, Domaine d’Orx looks every inch the classic French holiday cottage, artfully restored for contemporary tastes without sacrificing any of its considerable character.
Formerly a farm building, the cottage provides comfortable accommodation for up to ten guests. All rooms have their own bath or shower room, making it ideal for two families sharing or perhaps several couples looking to enjoy the many gourmet and cultural pleasures of the region as well as the coast. The fenced, heated swimming pool, table tennis and extensive gardens make for easy days with little ones, and there’s even a home cinema set up if the afternoons feel too hot to play outside.
The Domaine’s owners live unobtrusively in an adjoining, self-contained building, and are on hand to provide you with various helpful services from catering to babysitting by arrangement; Vincent is a trained chef, so a delicious home-cooked meal here is a highlight of the holiday for many and highly recommended for at least one night of your stay.
Please note that Domaine d'Orx implemented changes over the winter (not shown in the image gallery). These included improvements to the outdoor furniture, swimming pool, decking and sunbeds creating an even more comfortable environment.
The local area
In this quiet country location, there are just a handful of other residences nearby, but you have the pleasure of a very good auberge a couple of kilometres away and a bakery at Bénesse-Maremne so you can stock up on tasty morning pastries.
The nearby Marais d’Orx is a beautiful nature reserve, abundant with bird and plant life and very peaceful. High-sided wooden walkways provide an excellent afternoon’s adventure for children (and adults!) and you can even try a spot of birdwatching from one of the hides.
Cosmopolitan Hossegor is also easy to get to. A hub for the international surfing community, it’s youthful in outlook, with chic boutiques and markets, miles of surrounding cycle trails and a lovely lake if you don’t fancy the waves. It also has an easy charm that lends itself perfectly to long leisurely brunches or takeaway pizza on the beach at sunset. However, this being France, you’re never short of an excellent meal, particularly in neighbouring Capbreton – a more authentic French experience with some of the area’s best seafood in the marina restaurants, as well as an excellent morning fish market.
Bayonne is about half an hour away, the capital of the Pays Basque and the ‘chocolate capital’ of France – and don’t miss the spectacular interiors of its twin-spired cathedral. A little further on, you’ll find Biarritz. Here, Belle Époque glamour sits alongside a vibrant shopping, eating and cultural scene, all the more impressive for its dramatic coastal location. The Basque countryside is also a delight to explore, from its pretty hilltop villages to celebrated St Jean de Luz, pure beach heaven for families with a beautifully atmospheric, historic town behind. You can even catch the ferry from Hendaye into Spain for some quality time and tapas in the colourful coastal town of Hondarrabia.
Explore our pre-bookable experiences in Aquitaine
- 5 bedroom villa (sleeps 2-10)
- Stone-tiled hallway
- Raised level living area with 48" flat screen TV (English speaking channels), DVD player, Blu-ray, iPod dock
- Dining area
- Fully equipped modern kitchen with stainless steel range, oven, hob, microwave, coffee maker, fridge-freezer, dishwasher, washing machine
- Double bedroom with private bathroom with bath, shower and WC
- 3 double bedrooms with en-suite shower rooms
- Twin bedroom with en-suite shower room
- Complimentary WiFi
- Iron, ironing board, hairdryer and pool towels provided
- Complete baby kit provided (high chair, stair gates, sterilisers, cot with linen, mosquito net, potty, baby bath and pram)
- Smoking is not permitted in the house
- Pets subject to permission from owner (must be confirmed at time of booking)
- Owners live unobtrusively in the adjoining building and offer babysitting and a chef service if required
- Table tennis
- Heated salt-filtered swimming pool 10m x 5m (depth of 1.25m – 1.75m), gated, Roman steps
- Activities close by include surfing, sailing, golf, cycling, horse-riding, birdwatching, spa and thalassotherapy, aqua parc
- Markets at Capbreton (Saturday mornings), Hossegor (Sunday mornings) and St Vincent de Tyrosse (Friday mornings) all within 15km
- For further information on Terms and Conditions specific to this French property please click here
Simpson family extras
- Family favourite range of toys and games, suitable for ages 5-11
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails*
* We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
Villa access times
- Check-in time – 5.00-7.00pm
- Check-out time – 10.00am
- Weekly change of linen, bath and pool towels for bookings of one week or more
- Mid-stay cleaning (for bookings of two weeks)
Optional services offered
- Chef (pre-booking essential)
- Additional housekeeping €15/hour
- Babysitting €15/hour
- Pre-arrival shopping €15/hour
- Events, parties and small weddings (please enquire)
- All extra services payable locally
- Prices quoted are subject to change
- Ferry ports
St Malo 735km
- TGV stations
- Restaurant (Orx village) 20min walk or 2min drive (2km)
- Boulangerie (Bénesse-Maremne – deliveries possible) 5min drive (4km)
- Supermarket 10min drive (8km)
- Hossegor 14min drive (10km)
- Beaches (Hossegor and Capbreton) 20min drive (15km)
- Biarritz 45min drive (25km)
Thank you so much for a wonderful holiday. The house was lovely and felt like a home away from home. Julia and Vincent were always on hand and did a brilliant job maintaining the pool after the children spent most of their day in it. We all wished we could stay longer and will definitely be coming again.
The Austens, August 2022
A great holiday for us all. We all agreed that the two meals Vincent cooked for us were the best we had ever had, spectacular. We so appreciated the trouble you took to keep the pool in top condition for us.
Malcolm, Helen, Dan and Joanne, August 2022
Thank you so much for a wonderful stay. We had such a good time and really enjoyed exploring the local area and then coming back to chill in the pool
Lynette and family, July 2022
We have thoroughly enjoyed our two weeks in this beautiful villa. We had extremely hot weather during the first week and the pool was very well used - especially useful having a seating ledge so we could read and stay cool! Vincent and Julie have been very hospitable and helpful and we hope to return to share their home again soon!
Claire and Shaun, June 2022
We had a great week, the hosts were really nice and very helpful and we would thoroughly recommend this villa to anyone who is interested.
Mr Gettings – June 2019
Our choice of French properties is diverse, ranging from simple charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal.
To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
Once entirely marshland, this region is now a natural playground of sand dunes and beaches, pine forests and picturesque lakes, where walking and cycling are the most pleasurable ways of getting around. An idyllic meeting of France and California with truly spectacular waves and wide-ranging cuisine, upmarket Hossegor thrives on a surfing culture of stylish, laid-back living. However, in authentic Capbreton next door, and many of the towns and villages no more than an hour away, the historical roots go deeper and there’s much to explore.
Visit our collection of handpicked villas in Hossegor and the Landes Coast to complete your luxury holiday on the Aquitaine Coast.
BookingMultiple.mustache file to be converted
View holiday Booking Conditions