In this section...
- Romantic waterfront studio
- Uninterrupted sea views
- Set in the charming village of Mochlos
- Tavernas/cafés 1min walk
We are delighted to have found this waterside gem in Mochlos, a charming tucked-away village with a wealth of character and surprisingly upmarket selection of cafés and tavernas wrapped around the little beach. Leaving the main thoroughfare connecting Heraklion to the east, a winding road transports you down to the coast; a picturesque descent through a rural Mediterranean landscape that remains unspoilt by large tourist developments and retains its uniquely Cretan feel.
Those in the know are rewarded for their journey with a taste of Greece from days gone by. Mochlos is a natural beauty; prettily unpolished, with a blissfully unhurried pace and a warm welcome. Access to the sea is easy, yet the unique informality and appeal of the place perhaps stem from the fact that the beach is not the main event. Though the brilliant blue of the sea is just as lovely as it could be, Mochlos is about the people, the food and the quietly bohemian ambience that set it apart. And just across the little square from the church, our studio cottage enjoys a prime spot above the rocky shoreline, with mesmerizing views across the bay from its bijou private terrace. It’s a wonderfully romantic setting, promising all the home comforts that ensure a truly relaxing stay, with the pleasures of Greek village life on the doorstep.
Facing the village, a small island with a big history is an easy and enticing destination for swimmers and though the presence of Minoan ruins make it an archaeological site of some significance, it rarely plays host to more than one or two visitors at a time.
Mochlos Waterside is perfect for couples seeking an authentic Greek escape away from the mainstream and its position along the coast affords an opportunity to discover the magic of eastern Crete too, a region with a unique identity and the least visited part of the island. But for many, there’s very little incentive to move very far. Just a short stroll from the door, you’ll find a convivial vibe amongst the colourful array of tables and chairs that line the waterfront; waiters serving coffees, fresh seafood and local specialities to devoted regulars and delighted newcomers. Once discovered, this enchanting enclave is not readily forgotten and the chance to stay in such appealing surroundings at its very heart is not easy to come by.
- 1 bedroom studio cottage (sleeps 2)
- Open-plan living/kitchen dining room with TV and doors opening onto waterfront terrace
- Kitchen includes hob, oven, fridge, washing machine
- Double bedroom with kingsize bed and en-suite bathroom/WC
- Air-conditioned throughout
- Complimentary WiFi
- Satellite TV
- Iron, hairdryer
- Simpson Travel pool towels
- Waterfront terrace
- Free parking in local car-park (2min walk)
- All properties with wifi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails*
* We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
National tourist licence (EOT): 00001177164
- Tavernas/shops 1min walk
- Beach 1min walk
- Agios Nikolaos 45min drive
- Sitia 1hr drive
- Heraklion Airport 1hr 30min drive
Based on the number of people travelling, the following hire car(s) are included in the package price of your holiday:
- 2 guests – 1 Group C2, Fiat Grande Punto or similar*
* All our cars include comprehensive insurance with no excess charge. For this particular destination, the undercarriage, tyres, wing mirrors and windscreen are not included in the cover.
Group C2 – 1.2-1.4 litre engine, 1 large suitcase*
The following cars are available as alternatives on request (supplements apply). Please call our travel specialists for details.
Group D2 – 1.4 litre engine, 2 large suitcases
Group CA – Automatic Fiat Grande Punto or similar, 1.2-1.4 litre engine, 1 large suitcase*
Group D3 – Skoda Octavia or similar, 1.4 - 2.0 litre engine, 3 large suitcases*
Group DA3 – Automatic Seat Toledo or similar, 1.4 - 2.0 litre engine, 3 large suitcase*
Group L2 – Skoda Yeti or similar, 2.0 litre engine, 3 large suitcases*
* Suitcase sizes are based on a large suitcase being approximately 75cm x 41cm x 31cm, a medium suitcase of approximately 65cm x 46cm x 29cm and a small suitcase of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm.
Our choice of Greek properties is as diverse as the islands themselves, ranging from simple seaside charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal. To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
The road from north to south Crete takes you on an inspiring journey from the exclusivity of Elounda and the elegance of lakeside Agios Nikolaos into a rugged landscape harbouring the soul food of a simpler life. From gorges and caves to the mountain communities of the beautiful Lasithi Plateau – and then on to the romantically unspoilt beaches and homely tavernas of Myrtos, Makrigialos and Ferma in the south – this is Crete at its most warmly welcoming, without artifice, where you’re a guest and never a tourist.
Discover it for yourself from a handpicked villa in The Gulf of Mirabello & South East Crete.
View holiday Booking Conditions