In this section...
- Charming 15th-century farmhouse
- Glorious hilltop location
- Set in 30 acres
- Private heated and gated swimming pool
In a glorious hilltop setting, with miles of countryside spread out before you and vineyards above, you share a corner of France with a privileged few. This tranquil spot is something of a well-kept secret, although Le Petit Mas, surrounded by farmland, woods and meadows, is just a kilometre from the picturesque (shop-free) village of Vouthon and in an area known for fabulous Romanesque architecture, historic priories, castles and churches.
As well as four double bedrooms, there’s a converted attic room with six single beds – a dream for children who want a den, bedroom and pyjama party all in one – and every floor of this three-level building is an attractive combination of antique furnishings, rustic homely touches and contemporary art, all offset by exposed beams and solid stonework. An airy living room complete with baby grand piano and a traditional well-equipped farmhouse kitchen help make this an ideal base for extended families, who may have brought grandparents along.
On the south-facing terrace, an evening meal is a sunset-lit affair and with two other terraces and over 30 acres to explore, this 15th-century farmhouse gives everyone room to roam, whether that’s around the property or out into the countryside. The Tardoire River for canoeing is just five minutes away and a number of walking trails start nearby.
The local area
The castle at La Rochefoucauld is a must-see and there are summer concerts in town during July and August. You’ll find shops here too and a Saturday market, although for bread and groceries, your nearest ports of call are the villages of St-Sornin (1km) and Montbron (4km). From Montbron, you can also hire bikes and a riverside walk from here takes in the castles of Ferriere, Chabrot, Menet and the mills of Menet and Chabrot: paper mills, stone, flour mills being a feature of the region. Sophisticated Angoulême lies 25km to the east with its two places of worship: a magnificent cathedral and a chocolate factory. There’s also a Museum of Cartoons, sailing, squash courts and an 18-hole golf course if neither history nor confectionary are calling.
Le Petit Mas is very well located on the borders of the Dordogne, Limousin and Charente, allowing you to explore the beautiful villages of the northern Dordogne such as Piégut and the diverse landscapes of these very different areas.
The Charente is cognac country, for many the very epitome of French life, where the great houses of Courvoisier, Hennessy, Martell and Rémy Martin distil their magnificent brandies. Cognac itself has far more to offer, grand houses and narrow winding streets; and more festivals than there are months in the calendar. To the east stands Angoulême, its very name a sign of sophistication, a prodigious cathedral the strongest hint of its affluent past. The Charente River gathers momentum near Saintes but it is never much more than a quiet waterway for those who delight in messing about in boats. Sleepy little towns like Jarnac seem to float by, followed by proud Romanesque abbeys and priories, silhouetted against the lush undulating countryside. Make sure you visit the churches at St-Amand-de-Boixe, Bassac and Conzac.
- 5 bedroom house (sleeps 14)
- Entrance hall
- Living room with fireplace and baby grand piano, French doors lead to terraces
- Kitchen with oven, hob, toaster, kettle, coffee machine, fridge, freezer, dishwasher and dining table
- Separate WC
- Master double bedroom with integrated bath and washbasin
- Double bedroom
- Double bedroom with ladder to children’s dormitory (for emergency use only)
- Shower room with WC
- All doubles can be made into twin beds on request
- Large bedroom/playroom with 6 children’s beds with en-suite bathroom and WC
- Double bedroom with additional single bed with en-suite bathroom and WC
- Complimentary WiFi (Ground floor only)
- Simpson Travel telephone representative
- Washing machine and dryer
- 3 cots (linen supplied) and 3 highchairs
- TV, video, DVD and CD players
- Book library (English and French) for adults and children
- Extensive collection of children’s toys
- Table tennis and table football
- Bar billiards
- Swings and large sandpit
- Croquet and badminton
- Private swimming pool 15m x 6m (depth 0.7m – 2m), fenced, Roman steps, open June to mid-September, pool is heated to 25°C. Heating above 25°C is available at €250/week weather permitting
- Security deposit £500
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails*
* We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
- Bed linen, bath and pool towels are provided
Weekly linen change for bookings of one week or more
- Cleaning 3 hours per week included
- Additional cleaning (on request) €12 per hour
- Cook (on request) €15 per hour
- Pre-arrival food shopping service available (cost of food plus 30€ fee)
- All services payable locally
- Prices quoted are subject to change
- Check-in time – 4.00-7.00pm
- Check-out time – 10.00am
La Rochelle 165km
- Ferry ports
Le Havre 566km
- TGV stations
- Charente region
- Restaurants (Montbron) 10min drive
- Shops (Montbron) 10min drive
- Château de la Rochefoucauld 20min drive
- Angoulême 40min drive
- Limoges airport 1hr 15min drive
- St-Sornin (1km) – bakers and a small grocers
- Montbron (5km) – all shops and services
- La Rochefoucauld (13km) – all shops and services
Places to see
- La Rochefoucauld – the castle, a 'must-see', children and parents can dress up while they visit the castle
- La Rochefoucauld – Couvent des Carmes, gothic Church
- Montbron – a stunning walk along the river Tardoire to the castle of Ferriere, Charbrot, Menet and to the Mills of Menet and Chabrot. Small museum of Prehisotry for children in Montbron (with activities in July and August) Many mills in the area are opened to visits – paper mills, stone mills, flour mills, visit Moulin de la Forge and Moulin de Vouthon to buy local oils
- Tennis in Montbron (5km)
- Bike hire in Montbron (5km) - bikes can be hired in advance and delivered to the property
- Outdoor activity centre 'Le Chambon' (7km)
- Canoeing – 5min drive from the house (highly recommended), very well organised, frequent departures on the Tardoire River
- Shopping in Piegut Market in nearby Dordogne (Wednesdays)
- 18-hole golf course at Ecuras (Golf de la Prèze – 10km) and Angoulême (25km)
- Sailing on the lake in Angoulême (25km)
- Riding at Pranzac (8.5km) – horses and donkeys
- Go-karting 15min drive
- Fishing on the grounds of the property
- Many walks starting from the house
- Montbron (5km): small market on Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday mornings
- La Rochefoucauld (13km): Saturday mornings
- Piégut (22km): a 'must visit' on Wednesday morning
- Montbron (5km): Pizzeria 'La Toscane' (good for children, garden with tables in the summer, low price)
- Moulin de la Tardoire near Montbron (7km): highly recommended, booking essential
- La Rochefoucauld (13km): Chez Stefan (medium price)
- Saint-Adjutory (15km): La Bellone (good for children and parents, medium price)
- Soyaux (24km): La Sigogne (more expensive)
- Angoulême (25km): La Ruelle and La Tour des Valois (both more expensive)
- Many restaurants from all over the world with a nice atmosphere during summer evenings in the old Angoulême
These restaurants have been recommended by our owners and this list is updated by us as often as possible. Their ownership and quality may have changed since the list was last updated
Although this property is booked on an accommodation-only basis, we can arrange your flights for an extra charge of £25 per person, plus the cost of the flights themselves.
Below are the flight options available, including the most convenient airports in France to help you reach your destination as quickly and easily as possible.
Limoges 76km/1hr 5min drive
|Departure airport||Airline||Flight days||Seasonality|
|London Gatwick||British Airways||Sunday||27 May – 16 Sep|
|London Stansted||Ryanair||Sat/Sun||All season|
|Leeds Bradford||Ryanair||Sunday||1 Apr – 21 Oct|
|Leeds Bradford||Ryanair||Sunday||1 Apr – 21 Oct|
|Manchester||Ryanair||Sunday||1 Apr – 21 Oct|
|East Midlands||Ryanair||Saturday||All season|
Bordeaux 155km/1hr 40min drive
|Departure airport||Airline||Flight days||Seasonality|
|London Gatwick||British Airways||Sat/Sun||All season|
|London Gatwick||easyJet||Sat/Sun||All season|
|London Luton||easyJet||Sat/Sun||All season|
|Liverpool||easyJet||Sat/Sun||12 May – 1 Sep (Sat)
1 Jul – 2 Sep (Sun)
|Belfast||easyJet||Saturday||12 May – 1 Sep|
|Edinburgh||Ryanair||Saturday||31 Mar – 27 Oct|
|Southampton||Flybe||Saturday||26 May – 25 Aug|
|Birmingham||Flybe||Sat/Sun||31 Mar – 2 Sep|
A multi-generational family holiday. Véronique kindly picked up two boys from the train station and the first things I noticed were a pretty posy of flowers on the table and a bowl of sweet, juicy cherries. This ancient home is a treasure trove, I kept finding more interesting pieces. It has been a delight. Véronique was readily available when we needed suggestions for days out. Much worth visiting but we were always happy to get back to Le Petit Mas, outside dining facilities were excellent and the barbecue first class. The kitchen was very well equipped – couldn’t wish for better. On arrival our first meal was a delicious beef casserole and crusty bread – enough for 11 hungry travellers, then surprise chocolate mousse for all – supplied Véronique – a wonderful hostess. We have had a very happy time together. With many thanks.
Hazel – June 2019
We all loved our stay at the beautiful Petit Mas. We could not be more grateful for all Veronique’s help and support from booking tables to giving us directions. The supper produced on our arrival was delicious and much appreciated. Our time was spent in the pool, playing tennis and fly fishing on the property, visiting markets and barbecuing the fresh produce plus wonderful walks. The grandchildren loved the dormitory at the top of the house plus all the games. Great fun for all three generations. Thank you.
Satisfied Simpson Traveller – May 2019
We came to Le Petit Mas as two families with two toddlers and we all had an utterly lovely time. The children LOVED the play room – that was beyond our expectation and without doubt the best addition to a holiday that we’ve had as parents. Véronique was also lovely with the children, as she was our entire stay. Nothing was too much trouble. She had so many ideas for day trips and restaurants and even booked our taxi and restaurant – both of them (Chez Steph and Chez Paul) were lovely. We cannot speak highly enough of this lovely home and would love to return one day.
The Smets & Williams Families – September 2018
Thank you to Véronique for a wonderful week in her glorious home, Le Petit Mas. We had a fantastic time. The children (all five of them) have never had so much fun, whether playing in the dormitory, the games room or exploring along the river bank. The house is wonderful and we all had a very, very relaxing break. The highlights were the beautiful pool, the river, the wildlife (woodpecker, kingfisher, hummingbird) and let’s not forget the pancakes!
C Pearson – August 2018
After returning from Le Petit Mas, our wonderful 15th century farmhouse nestled in the French countryside, I wouldn't hesitate in recommending Simpson Travel. From my first phone call with initial enquiries, to a well-wishing e-mail after our holiday – all staff have been friendly, helpful and professional. I found the service received to be of a very high standard and we thoroughly enjoyed our holiday. Many thanks.
Laura – August 2018
Dear Vero – thank you for the most wonderful two weeks at Le Petit Mas. From the beautiful house with huge comfortable beds to the fabulous swimming pool, where Alfie finally learnt to swim, we have all been totally spoilt. Your ever-present smile and constant helpfulness made our visit extra special. You have a very special place and we will cherish our memories.
Mike, Ceri, Lisa, Martyn, James, Jamie and all the children – August 2018
What a wonderful house – it’s so special. We had such an amazing week and such perfect weather too. The children loved the swimming pool and we spent most of our week playing there. The top floor children’s dormitory is also perfect. You were personally helpful to us with booking restaurants, answering all our questions instantly and generally there for us all week. Thank you.
The McMullens – July 2018
Thank you to Véronique for a wonderful week in her lovely house. We had a great time and thought the countryside around was very beautiful. We enjoyed walking to the Roman bridge and visiting the castle. The grandchildren all loved being in the swimming pool and their parents have all had a really good rest. Thank you so much for making our stay so wonderful, we loved every minute.
The Macfadyen Family – July 2018
We had the most idyllic stay in this wonderful home that Véronique, the owner, has built and filled with warmth and love. She was the most generous host, erudite and thoughtful, with an astonishing resolve of spirit. As soon as we drove through the gates at Le Petit Mas our welcome set the tone for the rest of the week – full of smiles and wonder. The restaurants recommended to us provided the most delicious food and in correspondingly beautiful surroundings. We hope to go back again one day.
Raza, Beth, Toufique, Faisal, Faaiqa, Farah, Jasia, Ava, Siena, Tobias & Taylan – July 2018
We all just loved Le Petit Mas – we had an absolutely perfect week. The sun shone and the wine flowed. Cooking in the amazing kitchen was an absolute delight. Veronique is the perfect hostess – always on hand when needed. We have all thoroughly enjoyed exploring the area, and if in doubt about what to do, Veronique is an expert adviser. We could stay forever!
The Rivers Family – June 2017
Thank you so much. We had the most wonderful time here and I’m not sure I’ve ever stayed in a more beautiful house, so tastefully equipped and decorated. We were saying this morning that it’s even more homely than home! With many thanks, and we hope to come again…
Ian, Debbie, Alice, Matthew & Emily – September 2017
We have absolutely loved our stay. This has been the best holiday home we have ever stayed in (and we’ve been to lots!). Thank you, Veronique, so much for being such an amazing host and for all your attention to detail. The children’s playroom is beyond wonderful with the toys of dreams. The kids have spent hours upon hours up there. The house is cool and beautiful – so comfortable with the best beds. Thank you so much. We will be back!
Joanna, Josh & The Family – August 2017
We were delighted when we arrived at Le Petit Mas. The house is beautiful. Traditional and comfortable and has everything eight adults and six children could need. The pool was glorious with plenty of comfortable sunbeds and toys for the children. The kitchen was very well equipped. We were so happy with the house we didn't bother going out to dinner. However the town nearby had a lovely supermarket and a little café for our morning coffee and croissants. Veronique, the owner, is lovely and was very helpful booking us canoeing and giving us any advice we wanted. A fabulous holiday and we will definitely consider going again.
Mr Wallinger – July/Aug 2016
The villa had plenty of space and adequate cooking facilities, pool was beautifully maintained. The villa is located in a quiet wooded area but within easy reach of Montbron and shops. We also found a lovely walk.
Mrs Johnson – Aug 2016
We would like to thank Veronique for her kindness and hospitality! The house was enjoyed by all, including my 3-year-old daughter! A beautiful home in such a wonderful location. We were never short of things to do, there was something for everyone. Otherwise, the rest of the holiday was enjoyed by the poolside. We would recommend! Thanks again!
The Hurdle & Lansbury Families – July 2017
We were thrilled to be spending a week at Le Petit Mas. We have had a wonderful stay and enjoyed Veronique cooking for us – that is not to be missed! We explored as far as Cognac and that it is a great day trip. Thank you, Veronique, for being a kind and generous host – we loved your house!
The Nebhrajani Family – June 2017
Our choice of French properties is diverse, ranging from simple charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal.
To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
From the Dordogne’s forest-covered hillsides to the undulating countryside of Lot-et-Garonne, these fertile landscapes have long played their part in human history – the famous Lascaux cave paintings testify to that. For a taste of spectacular coastline on your holiday, head to Charente-Maritime or find a lakeside beach that’s perfect for a picnic – this region is known for its abundant food and excellent wines. Choose a restaurant in an ancient village square and enjoy the sense of history repeated.
And for a place to stay in Dordogne and the South West, explore our collection of luxury villas.
View holiday Booking Conditions