In this section...
- Charming 15th-century farmhouse
- Glorious hilltop location
- Set in 30 acres
- Private heated and gated swimming pool
In a glorious hilltop setting, with miles of countryside spread out before you and vineyards above, you share a corner of France with a privileged few. This tranquil spot is something of a well-kept secret, although Le Petit Mas, surrounded by farmland, woods and meadows, is just a kilometre from the picturesque (shop-free) village of Vouthon and in an area known for fabulous Romanesque architecture, historic priories, castles and churches.
As well as four double bedrooms, there’s a converted attic room with six single beds – a dream for children who want a den, bedroom and pyjama party all in one – and every floor of this three-level building is an attractive combination of antique furnishings, rustic homely touches and contemporary art, all offset by exposed beams and solid stonework. An airy living room complete with baby grand piano and a traditional well-equipped farmhouse kitchen help make this an ideal base for extended families, who may have brought grandparents along.
On the south-facing terrace, an evening meal is a sunset-lit affair and with two other terraces and over 30 acres to explore, this 15th-century farmhouse gives everyone room to roam, whether that’s around the property or out into the countryside. The Tardoire River for canoeing is just five minutes away and a number of walking trails start nearby.
The local area
The castle at La Rochefoucauld is a must-see and there are summer concerts in town during July and August. You’ll find shops here too and a Saturday market, although for bread and groceries, your nearest ports of call are the villages of St-Sornin (1km) and Montbron (2km). From Montbron, you can also hire bikes and a riverside walk from here takes in the castles of Ferriere, Chabrot, Menet and the mills of Menet and Chabrot: paper mills, stone, flour mills being a feature of the region. Sophisticated Angoulême lies 25km to the east with its two places of worship: a magnificent cathedral and a chocolate factory. There’s also a Museum of Cartoons, sailing, squash courts and an 18-hole golf course if neither history nor confectionary are calling.
Le Petit Mas is very well located on the borders of the Dordogne, Limousin and Charente, allowing you to explore the beautiful villages of the northern Dordogne such as Piégut and the diverse landscapes of these very different areas.
The Charente is cognac country, for many the very epitome of French life, where the great houses of Courvoisier, Hennessy, Martell and Rémy Martin distil their magnificent brandies. Cognac itself has far more to offer, grand houses and narrow winding streets; and more festivals than there are months in the calendar. To the east stands Angoulême, its very name a sign of sophistication, a prodigious cathedral the strongest hint of its affluent past. The Charente River gathers momentum near Saintes but it is never much more than a quiet waterway for those who delight in messing about in boats. Sleepy little towns like Jarnac seem to float by, followed by proud Romanesque abbeys and priories, silhouetted against the lush undulating countryside. Make sure you visit the churches at St-Amand-de-Boixe, Bassac and Conzac.
- 5 bedroom house (sleeps 14)
- Entrance hall
- Living room with fireplace and baby grand piano, French doors lead to terraces
- Kitchen with oven, hob, toaster, kettle, coffee machine, fridge, freezer, dishwasher and dining table
- Master double bedroom with integrated bath and washbasin
- Double bedroom
- Double bedroom with ladder to children’s dormitory (for emergency use only)
- Shower room with WC
- All doubles can be made into twin beds on request
- Large bedroom/playroom with 6 children’s beds
- Double bedroom with additional single bed with en-suite bathroom and WC
- Complimentary WiFi (Ground floor only)
- Simpson Travel telephone representative
- Washing machine and dryer
- 3 cots (linen supplied) and 3 highchairs
- TV, video, DVD and CD players
- Large DVD and book library (English and French) for adults and children
- Extensive collection of children’s toys
- Table tennis and table football
- Bar billiards
- Swings and large sandpit
- Croquet and badminton
- Gas plancha barbecue
- Private swimming pool 15m x 6m (depth 0.7m – 2m), fenced, Roman steps, open June to mid-September, pool can be heated to 25°C weather permitting (€250/week minimum)
- Security deposit £500
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails*
* We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
- Bed linen, bath and pool towels are provided
Weekly linen change for bookings of one week or more
- Cleaning 3 hours per week included
- Adiditonal cleaning (on request) €12 per hour
- Cook (on request) €15 per hour
- All services payable locally
- Prices quoted are subject to change
- Check-in time – 4.00-7.00pm
- Check-out time – 10.00am
La Rochelle 165km
- Ferry ports
Le Havre 566km
- TGV stations
- Charente region
- Restaurants (Montbron) 10min drive
- Shops (Montbron) 10min drive
- Château de la Rochefoucauld 20min drive
- Angoulême 40min drive
- Limoges airport 1hr 15min drive
- St-Sornin (1km) – bakers and a small grocers
- Montbron (5km) – all shops and services
- La Rochefoucauld (13km) – all shops and services
Places to see
- La Rochefoucauld – the castle, a 'must-see', children and parents can dress up while they visit the castle
- La Rochefoucauld – Couvent des Carmes, gothic Church
- Montbron – a stunning walk along the river Tardoire to the castle of Ferriere, Charbrot, Menet and to the Mills of Menet and Chabrot. Small museum of Prehisotry for children in Montbron (with activities in July and August) Many mills in the area are opened to visits – paper mills, stone mills, flour mills, visit Moulin de la Forge and Moulin de Vouthon to buy local oils
- Tennis in Montbron (5km)
- Bike hire in Montbron (5km)
- Canoeing – 5min drive from the house (highly recommended), very well organised, frequent departures on the Tardoire River
- Shopping in Piegut Market in nearby Dordogne (Wednesdays)
- 18-hole golf course at Ecuras (Golf de la Prèze – 10km) and Angoulême (25km)
- Sailing on the lake in Angoulême (25km)
- Riding at Pranzac (8.5km) – horses and donkeys
- Go-karting 15min drive
- Fishing on the grounds of the property
- Many walks starting from the house
- Montbron (5km): small market on Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday mornings
- La Rochefoucauld (13km): Saturday mornings
- Piégut (22km): a 'must visit' on Wednesday morning
- Montbron (5km): Pizzeria 'La Toscane' (good for children, garden with tables in the summer, low price)
- Moulin de la Tardoire near Montbron (7km): highly recommended, booking essential
- La Rochefoucauld (13km): Chez Stefan (medium price)
- Saint-Adjutory (15km): La Bellone (good for children and parents, medium price)
- Soyaux (24km): La Sigogne (more expensive)
- Angoulême (25km): La Ruelle and La Tour des Valois (both more expensive)
- Many restaurants from all over the world with a nice atmosphere during summer evenings in the old Angoulême
These restaurants have been recommended by our owners and this list is updated by us as often as possible. Their ownership and quality may have changed since the list was last updated
Although this property is booked on an accommodation-only basis, we can arrange your flights for an extra charge of £25 per person, plus the cost of the flights themselves.
Below are the flight options available, including the most convenient airports in France to help you reach your destination as quickly and easily as possible.
Limoges 76km/1hr 5min drive
|Departure airport||Airline||Flight days||Seasonality|
|London Gatwick||British Airways||Sunday||27 May – 16 Sep|
|London Stansted||Ryanair||Sat/Sun||All season|
|Leeds Bradford||Ryanair||Sunday||1 Apr – 21 Oct|
|Leeds Bradford||Ryanair||Sunday||1 Apr – 21 Oct|
|Manchester||Ryanair||Sunday||1 Apr – 21 Oct|
|East Midlands||Ryanair||Saturday||All season|
Bordeaux 155km/1hr 40min drive
|Departure airport||Airline||Flight days||Seasonality|
|London Gatwick||British Airways||Sat/Sun||All season|
|London Gatwick||easyJet||Sat/Sun||All season|
|London Luton||easyJet||Sat/Sun||All season|
|Liverpool||easyJet||Sat/Sun||12 May – 1 Sep (Sat)
1 Jul – 2 Sep (Sun)
|Belfast||easyJet||Saturday||12 May – 1 Sep|
|Edinburgh||Ryanair||Saturday||31 Mar – 27 Oct|
|Southampton||Flybe||Saturday||26 May – 25 Aug|
|Birmingham||Flybe||Sat/Sun||31 Mar – 2 Sep|
Thank you so much. We had the most wonderful time here and I’m not sure I’ve ever stayed in a more beautiful house, so tastefully equipped and decorated. We were saying this morning that it’s even more homely than home! With many thanks, and we hope to come again…
Ian, Debbie, Alice, Matthew & Emily – September 2017
We have absolutely loved our stay. This has been the best holiday home we have ever stayed in (and we’ve been to lots!). Thank you, Veronique, so much for being such an amazing host and for all your attention to detail. The children’s playroom is beyond wonderful with the toys of dreams. The kids have spent hours upon hours up there. The house is cool and beautiful – so comfortable with the best beds. Thank you so much. We will be back!
Joanna, Josh & The Family – August 2017
We would like to thank Veronique for her kindness and hospitality! The house was enjoyed by all, including my 3-year-old daughter! A beautiful home in such a wonderful location. We were never short of things to do, there was something for everyone. Otherwise, the rest of the holiday was enjoyed by the poolside. We would recommend! Thanks again!
The Hurdle & Lansbury Families – July 2017
We were thrilled to be spending a week at Le Petit Mas. We have had a wonderful stay and enjoyed Veronique cooking for us – that is not to be missed! We explored as far as Cognac and that it is a great day trip. Thank you, Veronique, for being a kind and generous host – we loved your house!
The Nebhrajani Family – June 2017
We were delighted when we arrived at Le Petit Mas. The house is beautiful. Traditional and comfortable and has everything eight adults and six children could need. The pool was glorious with plenty of comfortable sunbeds and toys for the children. The kitchen was very well equipped. We were so happy with the house we didn't bother going out to dinner. However the town nearby had a lovely supermarket and a little café for our morning coffee and croissants. Veronique, the owner, is lovely and was very helpful booking us canoeing and giving us any advice we wanted. A fabulous holiday and we will definitely consider going again.
Mr Wallinger – July/Aug 2016
The villa had plenty of space and adequate cooking facilities, pool was beautifully maintained. The villa is located in a quiet wooded area but within easy reach of Montbron and shops. We also found a lovely walk.
Mrs Johnson – Aug 2016
Our choice of French properties is diverse, ranging from simple charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal.
To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
From the Dordogne’s forest-covered hillsides to the undulating countryside of Lot-et-Garonne, these fertile landscapes have long played their part in human history – the famous Lascaux cave paintings testify to that. For a taste of spectacular coastline on your holiday, head to Charente-Maritime or find a lakeside beach that’s perfect for a picnic – this region is known for its abundant food and excellent wines. Choose a restaurant in an ancient village square and enjoy the sense of history repeated.
And for a place to stay in Dordogne and the South West, explore our collection of luxury villas.
View holiday Booking Conditions