In this section...
- Simpson Exclusive
- Elegant and luxurious
- Spectacular views
- Infinity pool
- Tennis court
- Walking distance to beach and tavernas
Mochlos is a modest place, tucked away along the coastline to the east of the infinitely more celebrated Gulf of Mirabello. Its appeal lies in the weight of its history, the characterful charm of the little harbour and the intimate collection of quality tavernas and cafés that line the waterfront.
But though the setting may be understated, there is no lack of ambition when it comes to the cutting-edge design and elegant craftsmanship of our remarkable 5-bedroom villa, The Artisan’s House. Enjoying an elevated position just a 5-minute walk from the centre of the village, it is one of the most magnificent properties we know in this part of the island. Grand in scale and extravagant in style, the meticulous design and attention to detail is evident at every turn, from the carefully curated furnishings to the elegant décor and state-of-the-art kitchens and bathrooms. Every detail has been considered to create an atmosphere of refined elegance and to offer guests a front row seat to relax and enjoy the spectacular views and unique atmosphere of this idyllic corner of the island. And even if one of your party has to devote themselves to a little work while you're abroad, the well-equipped office is a wonderful place to sit and focus, with the dazzling spectacle of the Mediterranean stretching out before you.
The villa exteriors are equally appealing, with multiple sea-view terraces set amongst the beautifully manicured gardens and a spectacular infinity pool at the gateway to the majestic blue horizon. For those seeking an active retreat, a private tennis court adds to the appeal and there’s a well-equipped gym area on the lower ground floor of the house for those serious about personal fitness, whilst billiards and table-tennis invite a little friendly competition to further energise your stay. And after a workout (or simply for the joy of it) the Jacuzzi room is perfectly placed to soothe aching muscles overlooking the vast expanse of sea and sky before a night under the stars.
Beyond the confines of this exquisite residence, Mochlos awaits. Unspoilt and removed from the island’s main tourist trails, once discovered it’s not easily forgotten and as you stroll along to one of the excellent tavernas your main competition for a table will be from the locals who come here to enjoy weekend lunches with family and friends.
Facing the village, a tiny island within easy swimming distance was once home to a Minoan settlement which is currently under excavation. It is humbling to learn of the artefacts which have been discovered here and the legacy of the skilled craftsmen and women who graced these shores some 3000 years ago. Their ancient burial site overlooks The Artisan’s House and it is extraordinary to think that their artistry has inspired Mochlos’ gentle evolution over the millennia.
Part of our Exclusive Collection, The Artisan's House speaks to anyone looking for outstanding levels of luxury and service in a blissfully tranquil setting. Whether you’re seeking an indulgent retreat, or a sophisticated base from which to explore the island, our UK and local concierge services will be on hand from the moment you book to finesse all the details and ensure you enjoy a seamless, indulgent escape.
- 5 bedroom villa (sleeps 10)
Lower ground floor
- Gym area with sauna
- Jacuzzi room
- Games room with pool table and wine fridge
- Laundry room
- Office room
- Double bedroom (180cm bed) with kitchenette en-suite shower room & WC
- Double bedroom (180cm bed) with en-suite shower room & WC
- 2 x shower rooms with WCs
- Open-plan kitchen/living/dining room with Smart TV and radio, amplifier and speakers; access to terrace
- Kitchen includes dishwasher, fridge-freezer, microwave, oven, hob and coffee maker
- 2 x double bedrooms (180cm bed) with en-suite shower rooms & WCs; access to terrace
- Double bedroom (180cm bed) with en-suite shower room & WC; access to balcony
- Complimentary WiFi
- Air-conditioned throughout
- Simpson Travel pool towels
- Daily cleaning and twice weekly linen change
- On-site car parking
- Private swimming pool 8.75m x 4.95m (0.5m - 1.65m depth)
- 6 pool loungers
- Wood-burner standard barbecue
- Outdoor dining area
- Private tennis court (39m x 18m) with floodlights
- Table tennis
Please note: due to exposed drops at the property, children must be supervised at all times.
Simpson family extras
- Complimentary infant pack (includes cot/travel cot, bed guard, highchair, bottle steriliser, baby bath, non-slip bath mat, potty, excludes baby-gate)
- Family favourite range of toys and games, suitable for ages 5-11
- Car seats and booster seats can be provided at a supplement, subject to availability
- To pre-book any of our family extras please call 020 8392 5747
- All properties with wifi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails*
* We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
National tourist licence (EOT): 1115650000
- Limenaria beach, 5min walk
- Tavernas (Mochlos village) 10min walk
- Basic shops and supermarket, 10min walk
- Agios Nikolaos and Ierapetra, 35min drive
- Boat hire (Mochlos) 10min walk
- Bike hire (Agios Nikolaos) 35min drive
- Sitia airport, 40min drive
- Heraklion, 90min drive
Based on the number of people travelling, the following hire car(s) are included in the package price of your holiday:
- 2-3 guests – 1 Group C2, Fiat Grande Punto or similar*
- 4-5 guests – 1 Group D2, Hyundai i30 or similar*
- 6 guests – 2 Group C2, Fiat Grande Punto or similar*
- 7 guests – 1 Group C2, Fiat Grande Punto, and 1 Group D2, Hyundai i30 or similar*
- 8-10 guests – 2 Group D2, Hyundai i30 or similar*
* All our cars include comprehensive insurance with no excess charge. For this particular destination, the undercarriage, tyres, wing mirrors and windscreen are not included in the cover.
Group C2 – 1.2-1.4 litre engine, 1 large suitcase*
Group D2 – 1.4 litre engine, 2 large suitcases
The following cars are available as alternatives on request (supplements apply). Please call our travel specialists for details.
Group CA – Automatic Fiat Grande Punto or similar, 1.2-1.4 litre engine, 1 large suitcase*
Group D3 – Skoda Octavia or similar, 1.4 - 2.0 litre engine, 3 large suitcases*
Group DA3 – Automatic Seat Toledo or similar, 1.4 - 2.0 litre engine, 3 large suitcase*
Group L2 – Skoda Yeti or similar, 2.0 litre engine, 3 large suitcases*
* Suitcase sizes are based on a large suitcase being approximately 75cm x 41cm x 31cm, a medium suitcase of approximately 65cm x 46cm x 29cm and a small suitcase of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm.
Our choice of Greek properties is as diverse as the islands themselves, ranging from simple seaside charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal. To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
Agios Nikolaos & The Gulf of Mirabello is one of the most sought after enclaves of Crete. Here you'll find Elounda, a pretty waterfront town hosting some of the island's most exclusive hotels and restaurants and regular ferries across to the former leper colony Spinalonga, a disconcertingly beautiful island with a fascinating history made famous by Victoria Hislop's novel The Island. A little further east, fashionable Agios Nikolaos is a lively town with an abundance of charm and a fabulous selection of restaurants and shops around the harbour.
If you're after a more tranquil and traditional take on Cretan life, the enchanting village of Mochlos lies tucked away at the most easterly edge of The Gulf of Mirabello. Our portfolio here celebrates the road less travelled, transporting guests from the mainstream to a blissfully undeveloped part of Crete that's often overlooked. Mochlos holds a unique identity along this illustrious coastline; a timeless waterfront idyll with a charming collection of cafés and tavernas harbouring the soul food of a simpler life. Whether you choose our Simpson Hotel or one of our luxurious villas, a stay here offers the best of all worlds - combining authentic charm, warm hospitality and easy access to many of the island's highlights, including the breathtaking gorges and caves of eastern Crete and the mountain communities of the beautiful Lasithi Plateau.
Whether you're seeking an expansive beachfront home close to all the action, or a tucked away base by the sea, you'll find something to suit in Agios Nikolaos & The Gulf of Mirabello. View our handpicked collection of villas today or take a look at our delightful Simpson Hotel in Mochlos.
Every Simpson Exclusive Villa includes our complimentary Concierge Service, designed to make your holiday experience as relaxing and seamless as possible.
It includes our dedicated pre-departure services to help you plan the details of your trip before you leave the UK, from the logistics of your journey to the personal requests that will make your time away truly magical.
Drawing on our experience and extensive local knowledge, we will do our utmost to accommodate any feasible request.
However, as a minimum, we can arrange:
- UK airport hotels and parking
- UK airport lounge access
- Private chef service
- Grocery shopping and delivery
- Restaurant recommendations and reservations
- In-villa massage treatments
- Boat hire and excursions
- Private jets
Once you reach your destination, our local Concierge will be on hand to offer any further advice or assistance.
View holiday Booking Conditions