In this section...
- Beautiful country house
- Set in 20 acres of stunning grounds
- Close to Aix en Provence and the Luberon
- Private heated swimming pool
- Simpson family extras available
Advance Registration... select your dates and reserve your 2023 holiday online, with a fully refundable deposit of £500.
If style, space and seclusion are on your holiday check list, then this stunning country bastide ticks all the right boxes. Set in 20 acres of private grounds, with vineyards and farmland beyond, this top-notch conversion lets you retreat into family holiday heaven, complete with free-form swimming pool, Jacuzzi, a home cinema, a brilliant children’s play area and garden games for all ages. It also has the added benefit of an independent two-bedroom annexe, ideal accommodation for grandparents, teenagers or anyone needing a little extra privacy.
The original building dates from 1805, and has been sympathetically restored to create a sophisticated contemporary home whilst preserving the fine 19th-century exterior. With seven bedrooms, six bathrooms and masses of outdoor space, there is ample room for two families or perhaps a multi-generation gathering. With swings, a trampoline and a Wendy house in addition to the pool, the attraction for children is obvious, but there is plenty here to appeal to the adults too, from the romantic pool pavilion for your pre-dinner drinks to the numerous pretty towns and villages to explore nearby.
A charming and very comfortable base in itself, La Bastide du Paon Bleu – or the slightly less tongue-twisty Blue Peacock for short – is perfect if you want to walk, bike or discover Provence by car. A 18 kilometre circle around the house encompasses Aix-en-Provence, Salon de Provence and the magnificent green and gold landscapes of the southern Luberon.
The local area
The house is situated between Lambesc and Rognes in the Aix countryside, 18km from Aix-en-Provence (30min drive), in the Bouches du Rhône department and bordering the Luberon, just 20km from the charming village of Lourmarin, classified as ‘one of the most beautiful villages in France’.
Rognes (6km) is a small village with basic shops and services, while Lambesc (4km) has a wider choice of supermarkets and both a farmers and a traditional Provençal market weekly.
Travelling north from the house you’ll drive through the stunning scenery of the Luberon on the way to Lourmarin, which has a lively café scene, and Cucuron, easily one of the prettiest villages in Provence. Aix is a lively and fashionable university town, sometimes referred to as the Paris of Provence thanks to its leafy boulevards, grand architecture and general air of sophistication.
Explore our pre-bookable experiences in Provence
- 7 bedroom villa (sleeps 12)
- Entrance hall
- Sitting room/dining room with stone fireplace
- Fully equipped kitchen includes electric oven, 5 gas hobs, microwave, Nespresso coffee machine, juicer, American style fridge-freezer, dishwasher, silverware and beautiful tableware
- Utility room
- Double bedroom (160cm bed) with en-suite bathroom (bath and shower)
- Double bedroom (160cm bed) with en-suite bathroom (shower)
- Double air-conditioned bedroom (180cm bed)
- Bathroom with 2 person bath
- Games area with sofa
- 2 separate WCs
- Double air-conditioned bedroom (180cm bed) with large terrace
- Twin bedroom (90cm beds)
- Bathroom with shower and WC
- 2 twin bedrooms (90cm beds) each with en suite shower and WC
- Complimentary WiFi
- Simpson Travel telephone representative
- Open plan staircase
- Underfloor heating/cooling system
- Washing machine and tumble dryer
- 2 cots and 2 highchairs
- Stereo system with CD player
- 2 iPod docks
- Home cinema with DVD and Blu-Ray player
- LED 3D TV
- Gas barbecue and plancha
- 4 adult bikes and 2 children’s bikes available to use
- External dining table
- 2 swings
- Children's Wendy house
- Trampoline (5m diameter)
- Badminton (rackets available)
- Table tennis
- Outdoor gym pavillion
- Heated Jacuzzi set into a large wooden terrace with Bali beach hut and Bluetooth speakers
- Private freeform heated swimming pool 15 x 8m (depth 1.8m), gentle slope to edge on all sides, security alarm, pool is heated to 27°C
- For further information on Terms and Conditions specific to this French property please click here
Simpson family extras
- Family favourite range of toys and games, suitable for ages 5-11
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails*
* We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
- Bed linen, bath and pool towels provided
- Mid-stay linen change and 4-hour clean for stays of two weeks
- 4 hours cleaning every Wednesday
- Additional cleaning available on request (€18/hour)
- Massages available on site (prices on request)
- Evening meals available on request (€40 per person, minimum 4 people)
- Additional services can be offered, please enquire for details
- All services payable locally
- Prices quoted are subject to change
- TGV stations
- Check in time – 4.00-5.00pm
- Check out time – 10.00am
- Restaurants (Lambesc) 10min drive
- Shops (Lambesc) 10min drive
- Beaches (Carry-le-Rouet) 1hr drive
- Aix-en-Provence 30min drive
- Marseille airport 45min drive
Thank you for your hospitality and for letting us enjoy your beautiful home for a week. We all had a fantastic time. Very relaxing too, thanks to you. We always enjoy our trips to France, especially Provence and your home made this trip one to remember. We had everything we needed and more with the added bonus of freshly laid eggs every morning, courtesy of your lovely hens. I think we will miss them more than anything else.
Daren, Jane & Edward – August 2019
Thank you, Christophe and Marie, for the use of your beautiful home. We have had a wonderful family holiday, the setting and facilities are just great, we have tired to make use of them all but the lovely pool was the greatest draw. Thanks again, with all our best wishes.
The Moore family – August 2019
Thank you for a lovely holiday in your beautiful home. It was so peaceful and relaxing at the pool during the day and wonderful to sit out in the evening and have a barbecue. Thank you also to your daughters for the beautiful food they made for us. We will definitely return.
The Haxton-Gow family – August 2019
A lovely lazy two weeks with our children and grandchildren with a daily rhythm to include lunches under the bamboo-covered terrace, hours in the pool, trampoline, swings and Wendy house. We had a few trips out including to Aix-en-Provence, Isle-sur-la-Sorgue and Lourmarin and enjoyed the Moulin en famille at lunch time. Jean cooked us some delicious Provençale food which was a treat. We didn’t manage to use the Jacuzzi as it was so hot! But otherwise the house and its beautiful setting was well used and appreciated.
Sonia and Gordon – July 2019
Our family totally enjoyed this beautiful house in Provence and will definitely return! Marie and her family were lovely and very helpful! The meals they prepared for us were fantastic and sensitive to our requests! I most definitely would recommend La Bastide du Paon Bleu!
Denise – August 2018
We had an amazing three weeks at La Bastide du Paon Bleu. What a delightful time was had by all. The chickens being a particular highlight for the children. The setting is idyllic – tranquil and extremely relaxing. Many thanks to Christophe and Marie for ensuring everything ran smoothly for us and for letting us enjoy your beautiful home.
Bob & Marie-Louise – August 2018
We had a wonderful week at La Bastide du Paon Bleu. It’s such a haven of nature and peace. We all loved it! It’s perfect for children and adults. We loved playing table tennis and hardly left the pool and the chill-out Bali Corner. We had great trips out to Aix-en-Provence and a must for anyone is lunch at Domaine de Fontenille – a wonderful setting, incredible food and well-priced wines. We will miss the ‘poulet’ (chickens)….a perfect way to make you smile every day.
Philippa, Stephen, Freddie & James – July 2018
Beautiful house with lovely gardens and plenty of places to relax and enjoy the sun! We spent lots of our afternoons in the gazebo which stays lovely and shady when it gets too warm. We've really enjoyed using the different outdoor facilities and equipment, from the pool to the badminton. We've let the chickens out almost every day and enjoyed watching them in the garden – if you're going to be back before dark, it's worth letting them out as it improves the eggs, they don't make too much mess, and they even put themselves to bed in the evening – all you have to do is lock the coop! Thank you Christophe, Marie and Christine – it's a lovely house and we've had a wonderful holiday and we wish we could stay longer!
The Ardron Family – July 2017
Our choice of French properties is diverse, ranging from simple charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal.
To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
There’s no better way to while away leisurely holiday hours than by visiting the boutiques, chic cafés and flower markets of elegant Aix-en-Provence or wandering the cobbled streets of the beautiful hilltop village of Gordes. And in Provence the past is ever-present in Tarascon’s Medieval, Romanesque and Gothic influences and the Roman amphitheatre in Arles.
Introduce fragrant fields of lavender, rolling hills and the red salt lagoons of the nearby Camargue National Park and before you lies a holiday destination to rival any other, complemented by our selection of handpicked luxury villas to help you make the most of your luxury holiday in Provence.
Explore our pre-bookable experiences in Provence
View holiday Booking Conditions