In this section...
- South-facing terrace with glorious views
- Private and secluded
- Walking distance to two Michelin-star restaurants
- Chic Guéthary 2km
- Air conditioning
2024 Holidays... 2023 Prices
Our 2024 holidays are now priced online and with our early bird promise, you can enjoy December 2022 prices when you book by 31 December 2023. View Price Freeze Terms & Conditions here.
From world class surf and family-friendly beaches to majestic mountains and charmingly photogenic villages, France’s Basque Country really does have it all, as indeed does the wonderful Villa Gétaria.
Set in its own mature and secluded grounds, this elegant home offers both space and privacy, with far-reaching views over the Basque Country hills and the peaks of the western Pyrenees from the south-facing rear terrace. This is a superb spot to enjoy long summer days by the heated pool, with loungers lined up inviting you to relax and contemplate the endlessly verdant countryside rolling out before you. With four en-suite bedrooms, Villa Gétaria is an excellent choice for a larger family looking for space to play, or a group of couples keen to try the numerous walking, biking, golfing and beach activities locally, with the added attraction of two Michelin-starred restaurants within walking distance. And if you simply want to escape for a week or two of well-deserved downtime, you’ll find an immaculately restored traditional Basque villa, full of original features offset by contemporary furnishings to make you feel perfectly pampered yet completely at home.
The lush countryside setting adds to the timeless air of Villa Gétaria, but the house is far from isolated, just two kilometres from Guéthary village, harbour, beach and local shops. Guéthary is one of the real gems of the Basque coast, popular with discerning French guests but virtually unknown outside of France. Better known but equally charming is St Jean de Luz (7km), recently included in The Guardian’s 40 Best Beaches in Europe guide and described as 'spectacular', with 'soft golden sands backed by red and white Basque villas'.
Please note... This property is not included in our early bird price freeze promise.
Guéthary (2km) is a pretty village, idyllically located on the coastal path between Bidart and St Jean de Luz and combining traditional architecture with a chic seaside buzz in the summer months. There’s a small sandy beach here that’s good for younger children, and kids will also love the water park at Lac de Saint-Pée (16km). The area is of course famous for its surf, and you’ll find big waves and surf schools at Uhabia (3km) and Erromardie (6.5km) beaches. For beginners and less confident swimmers, the Grande Plage at St Jean de Luz (7km) or Hendaye (20km) are perfect playgrounds. For brighter lights and city sights you can head for Biarritz (12km), Bayonne (16km) or over the Spanish border to the fashionable resort town of San Sebastian, all handily accessible by rail from Guéthary. For active pursuits away from the coast there’s hiking, biking, climbing and rafting against incomparable backdrop of the Pyrenees, or see it all from the comfort of your car as you tour around villages such as Ascain, Sare, Ainhoa and Espelette, all within around 20km.
Explore our pre-bookable experiences in Aquitaine
- 4 bedroom villa (sleeps 2-8)
- Open-plan dining/kitchen/living area with TV, fireplace and access to terrace and pool
- Fully-fitted kitchen with oven, hob, microwave, fridge-freezer, dishwasher, coffee machine and washing machine
- Second living room/office with access to terrace
- King-size bedroom (180cm bed) with dressing area, en-suite shower room and WC.
- King-size bedroom (180cm bed) with dressing area, balcony, en-suite bathroom and WC. Air conditioning.
- Double/twin bedroom (180cm bed or 2 x 90cm beds) with en-suite shower and handbasin (no WC). Air conditioning.
- Double bedroom (160cm bed) with en-suite shower and handbasin (no WC). Air conditioning.
- Complimentary WiFi
- Air-conditioning in 3 upstairs bedrooms
- Iron, ironing board, hairdryer and pool towels provided
- Simpson pool towels
- Terraces with outdoor dining and lounge areas
- Pool house
- Heated swimming pool approx. 3m x 9m, electric cover
- Gas barbecue
- Private parking for several cars
- For further information on Terms and Conditions specific to this French property please click here
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails*
* We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
Villa access times
- Check-in time – 4pm
- Check-out time – 10am
- Weekly change of linen, bath and pool towels for bookings of two weeks or more
- Ferry ports
St Malo 730km
- TGV stations
- Local restaurants 20min walk
- Supermarket, shops and beach (Guéthary) 3min drive
- Bidart 10min drive
- Saint-Jean-de-Luz 10min drive
- Biarritz centre 15min drive
Customer Feedback We visited the villa as three families (three couples, two babies and a toddler). The Villa was a great space and there was plenty of space for all the adults and children. The location of the villa is great and very close to a number of local towns / villages by car and walking distance to Guethary. As we were visiting with small children, we found the kitchen was very well equipped for dining in the property in the evening and there was a great open plan entertainment / living space. We would recommend this villa and look to book again in the future.
This is a wonderful spacious house with great views and stylish decor. There is plenty of outdoor space and a pool with electronic cover to keep it clean. It's quiet and rural yet close to great beaches and a wide array of gorgeous towns to visit. Julia, the local rep, is stand-out - she responds quickly and has thoughtful recommendations, from places to visit, places to eat, even places to have your hair done! Would also recommend outdoor yoga overlooking the ocean with NamasteBiarritz. We would definitely return here.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Villa Getaria, we didn’t want to leave even after two lovely weeks. The house itself has a very welcome and relaxed feeling, it is peacefully situated and has stunning views of the mountains and countryside that were never tiring. Despite its rural setting it is very convenient for exploring the beaches and all that the Basque Region has to offer as well as two fantastic Michelin star restaurants within walking distance. We are almost certain to return.
Our choice of French properties is diverse, ranging from simple charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal.
To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
Steeped in Basque traditions as old as the hills, this destination reflects a very different take on ‘Frenchness’: one that’s also imbued with the colours of Spain just a short drive away. And if swimming, sunbathing, surfing and sandy beaches don’t appeal, you can try a thalassotherapy spa session, watch an adrenaline-fuelled game of Basque pelote or flex your cultural muscle along the narrow streets of ancient towns and pristine villages where museums, galleries and restaurants are in plentiful supply.
BookingMultiple.mustache file to be converted
View holiday Booking Conditions