In this section...
- Converted 19th-century bergerie in the Luberon
- Set in over 7 hectares of meadow and woodland
- Air-conditioned throughout
- Private gated heated swimming pool
- Restaurants/shops 10min drive
2024 Holidays... 2023 Prices
Our 2024 holidays are now priced online and with our early bird promise, you can enjoy December 2022 prices when you book by 31 December 2023. View Price Freeze Terms & Conditions here.
The Luberon is one of France’s most filmed, painted and written-about regions; an iconic landscape of honey-coloured hill-top villages, craggy mountains and purple lavender fields. Sitting pretty as a picture in the heart of the Luberon’s Parc Naturel, this tastefully restored 19th-century bergerie makes an ideal base from which to explore the myriad natural and cultural riches of the region.
La Bergerie is set in more than seven hectares of meadow and woodland. The area immediately around the house has been carefully landscaped with gravel and flowering plants, but most of the grounds are given over to unspoilt native woodland and meadowland. With terraces all around the house, you can follow the sun or find a spot in the shade as the mood takes you, or simply stake your claim on a pool sunbed and let the southern warmth work its stress-melting magic. The pool can be heated and is gated for peace of mind, and families with children will also appreciate the board games, boules and table tennis that are provided. For moments of contemplation, there's even a raised yoga/meditation platform set slightly away from the house, with distant views of Mont Sainte Victoire. The rest of the gardens enjoy fine views out over vineyards, rolling countryside and the Luberon hills to the north, and the hilltop village of Grambois to the south.
Please note... This property is not included in our early bird price freeze promise.
The local area
When you’re ready to explore, Grambois makes a good starting point, with its cobbled streets, vaulted passageways and houses built into the medieval walls. Peypin d’Aigues and La Bastide des Jourdans are also conveniently close and equally charming. The Luberon’s more famous (and rather busier) villages, including Gordes, Bonnieux, Ménerbes, Roussillon and Lacoste, are between 45-60 minutes’ drive. If you are lucky enough to be visiting in the cooler spring and autumn months, the Montagne Ste-Victoire is a very popular place for walking and climbing. Picturesque Cucuron, one of the ‘Plus Beaux Villages de France’ is around 15 minutes’ drive away and offers a good choice of local restaurants and a popular weekly market.
La Bergerie du Ravin is located in a very special area of France. It nestles in the tranquil Luberon, celebrated for its picturesque and famous hilltop villages, only a short drive from the vibrant historic towns of Aix en Provence, Apt, and Marseille. The Mediterranean beaches at Bandol, Cassis and the Côte Bleue are also within easy reach. The landscapes of the southern slopes of the Luberon become more Mediterranean in character, with the limestone studded and herb-scented garrigue continually buffeted by the Mistral winds. Lourmarin, one of the ‘Plus Beaux Villages de France’, has a lively café scene and some fine restaurants. Its Renaissance château bears the grandiose title of Villa Medicis de Provence. Lourmarin was the home of Albert Camus, who is buried there. The village of Ansouis is also definitely worth visiting.
Explore our pre-bookable experiences in Provence
- 4 bedroom bergerie (sleeps 9)
- Open-plan living/dining room
- Kitchen with French doors to terrace
- Kitchen includes hob, oven, fridge, freezer, dishwasher, coffee maker
- Double bedroom with en-suite shower room with WC, French doors to private terrace
- Double or twin bedroom with en-suite bathroom with WC, French doors to private terrace
- Double or twin bedroom with additional single bed and en-suite bathroom with WC
- Double bedroom with en-suite shower room with WC
- Laundry room
- Complimentary WiFi
- Simpson Travel telephone representative
- Air-conditioned in all bedrooms and living room
- Washing machine and dryer
- 2 cots available (linen on request) and 2 highchairs plus baby equipment
- Satellite and cable television
- DVD player
- Central heating (possible charge)
- Woodburning stove (firewood provided)
- Electric plancha grill
- Table tennis
- Board games
- Sand pit
- Private swimming pool 10m x 4m (depth 1.2m – 2.2m), fenced, corner steps, heated to 27°C (May-September)
- Pool shower
- Yoga/exercise deck with beautiful view
- Covered seating area which provides shade throughout the day
- For further information on Terms and Conditions specific to this French property please click here
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails*
* We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
Bed linen, bath and pool towels are provided
Weekly linen change for bookings of one week or more
- Cleaning €20 per hour (minimum 3 hours)
- Cook available on request
- All services payable locally
- Prices quoted are subject to change
- Check-in time – 4.00-7.00pm
- Check-out time – 10.00am
TGV stationsAix en Provence 33km
- Restaurants/shops (Moulin du Pas) 10min drive
- Grambois 12min drive
- Etang de la Bonde (lake with beach/restaurant) 15min drive
- Lourmarin 30min drive
- Aix en Provence 45min drive
- Marseille airport 1hr drive
- The best croissants and pains au chocolat come from La Bastide-des-Jourdans and the best bread from La Tour du Pain at Moulin du Pas (5km) where there is also a very good fruit and veg shop which has local wine, cheese and meat.
- Grambois (5km) – bakery, café from where you can order English newspapers
- Moulin du Pas (5km) and La Motte d'Aigues (7km) – small supermarkets open till 7pm and to 12.30pm on Sundays
- La Tour d’Aigues (10km) – small supermarket open till 7pm and to 12.30pm on Sundays
- Pertuis (16km)
- Apt (36km)
- Aix en Provence (40km)
- Marseille (70km)
- St Martin de la Brasque (6km) – Sundays
- La Tour d’Aigues (10km) – Tuesdays
- Mirabeau (17km) – Thursdays
- Pertuis (16km) – Fridays
- Ansouis (15km) – Sundays
- Villelaure (19km) – Thursdays
- Beaumont de Pertuis (14km) – Saturdays
- Cucuron (16km) – Tuesdays
- Cadenet (22km) – Mondays
- Lourmarin (23km) – Fridays (excellent)
- Lauris (28km) – Mondays
- Apt (40km) – Saturdays
- Aix en Provence (40km) – Place du Palais de Justice every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday mornings, Place de la Mairie on Sunday mornings and antique book market on first Sunday of each month
Summer evening markets:
- La Motte d’Aigues (7km) – Thursdays
- Mirabeau (17km) – Fridays
- Vaugines (18km) – Tuesdays
- Lauris (28km) – Saturdays
- Moulin du Pas (3km) – Auberge des Tilleuls
- Ansouis (12km) – La Closerie
- Pertuis (16km) – Le Goût du Jour, La Paillote
- Cucuron (16km) – Restaurant de l’Etang, La Petite Maison, Les Temps Modernes
- Lourmarin (23km) – La Fontaine, L’Antiquaire, La Louche à Beurre, L’Insolite
- Cadenet (21km) – La Source, L’Auberge de la Fenière
- Mérindol (36km) – La Bastide du Grand Tilleul
- There are dozens of good restaurants in Aix-en-Provence (40km), here are a few recommended by our owners: Le Clos de la Violette, Le Passage, Chez Antoine, Le Mas d’Entremont, Le Comptoir des Orangers, La Table Marocaine, Le Bistrot des Philosophes
- These are classic restaurants in Marseille (70km) – Péron, Une Table au Sud, Fonfon, La Cantine, Les Acolytes.
These restaurants have been recommended by our owners and this list is updated as often as possible. Ownership and quality may have changed since the last update.
Places to See
- The southern Luberon is rich in history and landscape
- Grambois (9km), La Motte d'Aigues (7km), and La Bastide des Jourdans (11km)
- Lourmarin (23km) – classified as one of the most beautiful villages in France
- Cucuron (16km) – commands wonderful views.
- Ansouis (12km) – a 12th-century castle and many craft shops
- The northern Luberon's famous hilltop villages of Gordes, Bonnieux, Ménerbes, Roussillon and Lacoste, to name just a few, are between 35km and 50km
- Aix en Provence (40km) – a beautiful and lively town of ‘a thousand fountains’ – well worth spending some time here
- Montagne Ste-Victoire (40km) – inspired many artists such as Cézanne, Picasso, Kandinsky and is a very popular place for walking and climbing
- There are many theme parks around Aix for children such as Aquacity, OK Corral, Le Zoo de la Barden
- Gorges de Verdon, north east of Grambois – admire the deep blue lakes, many activities in the area (45min drive)
- Fête de la Musique – 21 June
- Outdoor live screenings in Cucuron of Aix music festival in July
- Musicales du Luberon (in Ménerbes) – music festival in July
- Festival d’Aix en Provence – opera festival in July
- Chorégies d’Orange in the Orange Roman theatre – opera festival in August
- Festival de Lacoste created by Pierre Cardin – musical festival in July
- Festival d’Avignon – theatre and dance festival in July
- Les Suds d’Arles – music festival in July
- Festival de la Roque d'Anthéron – piano festival in July and August
- Festival de Lourmarin – music festival all summer
- Festival Jazz de Luberon – jazz festival in May
Regional Food and Wine
- Aioli (garlic mayonnaise to accompany fish and vegetables)
- Pissaladière (onion tart)
- Pistou soup (vegetable with basil, garlic, tomato)
- Bouillabaisse (fish stew)
- Ratatouille (peppers, courgettes, onions, aubergines, tomatoes)
- Fish soup with rouille (special mayonnaise)
- Anchoiade (anchovy and garlic paste)
- Tapenade (crushed olives with capers, anchovies)
- Fruits confits
- Wine produced from the vineyard around the property is available at the Grambois Cave Coopérative and can be purchased just outside Moulin du Pas (5km)
- Tours and wine-tasting nearby at La Dorgonne vineyards
- The Côtes du Luberon appellation covers 3500 hectares situated between Cavaillon and Apt, with 36 districts sharing the vineyards. 80% of the wine producing land is grouped into co-operative wineries (caves co-operatives) comprising 70% reds, 15-20% rosés or whites depending on the year, the Côtes du Luberon wine is appreciated for its delicate bouquet. The reds are well-balanced and flexible, the rosés fresh and nervous, while the whites are fresh and well-rounded. It is generally better to drink the Côtes du Luberon wines when they are young.
- Mid-November: La Gouleyade: 'Fête du vin bourru' (First wine of the year), village parades, wine-tasting
- End of June: Festivals at the châteaux around the Luberon
- Discover Côtes du Ventoux, Côtes de Provence and Côteaux d’Aix – there are many good local wines on sale at local markets (in particular at the marché paysan of Coustellet)
- Marseille, sandy, shingle, rocky (70km)
- Carry le Rouet, pebble, rocky (78km)
- Sausset, sandy, shingle, rocky (76km)
- Cassis, a beautiful fishing port with good restaurants, boat hire available (88km)
- La Couronne, sandy (93km)
- Bandol, try the beach café of the Ile Rousse Hotel, visit the old castle and the promenade with fish restaurants (109km)
- The property is close to the Luberon cycle route – cycle hire from Vélo Luberon who deliver
- Tennis courts at Tour d’Aigues (10km)
- Bowling at Pertuis (16km)
- Horse riding at Pertuis (16km) Ecurie du soleil
- 18-hole golf courses at Pierrevert (14km), Aix-en-Provence (42km), Les Milles (48km), Mallemort (43km)
- Truffle hunting in Cadenet (30km)
- Hiking in the Luberon, Montaigne Ste-Victoire, Mont Ventoux
- Squash at Pertuis (16km)
- Lac de Bonde (8km) with swimming, restaurants and fishing
- Lac de Peyrolles (30km) with pedaloes, table tennis and beach volleyball
- Sailing at Marseille (70km)
We had a wonderful week in La Bergerie Du Ravin with our grown up family and grandson. The setting is glorious and very peaceful and the house is extremely comfortable and well equipped. The air conditioning made a huge difference at night. There are some lovely places to visit on the doorstep. All in all a 5 star holiday.
A lovely homely little French cottage set amongst the vines in a rural location - so quiet and peaceful! You do need to drive to the local shops and restaurants though!
We loved our stay at this beautiful, clean, well-supplied house. We particularly enjoyed the garden and pool, and exploring the landscape and wildlife nearby. The support from Sarah, Simpson's person on the ground in France, was wonderful, and the activity suggestions and guidance from Simpson and the house owners was really helpful. We could have easily stayed longer!
Simpson Travel know how to choose the best villas. Their venture into France has proven to be a great success for us, our family and friends. La Bergerie du Ravin is a little gem and offers a rare thing - true silence. We loved our time there and will definitely look to go back again.
The Bergerie du Ravin was a beautiful and well-equipped villa set in spacious grounds with good facilities and a real home-from-home feel unlike some sparsely furnished holiday homes.
La Bergerie is an excellent house in a beautiful rural setting. Perfect for our multi-generational family holiday.
A wonderful return to the Luberon after five years. This is the most beautiful villa which felt like home from home. Just ever so slightly out of season, life has taken on a different pace, the light and temperature is changing and the French are getting on with their lives. It’s also hunting season… We returned to much-loved Lourmarin and Cucuron. The market in Lourmarin is an absolute must. So too is La Louche a Beurre – fabulous steak, frites and crêpes. We thought we might just catch the ‘vendange’ but whilst there was a tantalising glimpse of activity, it needs a few more weeks yet. Thank you for planting such beautiful grounds. The herb bed by the kitchen boosted many of our meals and we loved finding hundreds of cobnuts by the path to the swimming pool. A treasured holiday for family and friends. I somehow think we will be back in the not too distant future.
Another idyllic experience. We have loved every minute of every day of our stay and feel so lucky and fortunate to have discovered this enchanting villa and its stunning surroundings. Thank you.
Another excellent holiday through Simpson Travel - many thanks from all of the family.
Wonderful family holiday and loved the villa. Will return. Lourmarin and Cucuron markets were fantastic.
We cannot recommend the Bergerie Du Ravin enough. We stayed a week with friends (4 adults and 4 children under 6) and were blown away by the beauty of the villa, its secluded countryside location and how well stocked it is for young families. Children’s crockery, cots, Babybjorn high chairs, DVDs, games and toys – our little ones wanted for nothing. The heated pool was an absolute delight in the late afternoon sun!
La Bergerie du Ravin is a beautiful house in a stunning setting. Definitely the place to visit.
We loved every moment of our stay in La Bergerie du Ravin. It is the perfect holiday location. We loved the sunny afternoons by the pool, caressed by the gentle breeze and the sound of the rustling leaves. This was our first visit to Southern Luberon and the views are so beautiful. What was an unexpected delight, was the quietness both at the villa and in the surrounding area. Our favourite market was at Lourmarin on Fridays and it is the most beautiful town. We also visited the Sunday market at St. Martin de la Brasque each week – great food! Most of all we enjoyed staying at the house – why go anywhere else.
We loved the house La Bergerie du Ravin – all very well designed and extremely comfortable. The place is terrific and so very peaceful. We loved the herb garden and the pool area – perfect! We had a very happy week with our family, it was all extremely relaxing. We had been to Southern Luberon before and it is extremely beautiful and very unspoilt.
Having selected La Bergerie du Ravin from the Simpson Travel collection, we knew we would be guaranteed a quality vacation and the house and surroundings did not disappoint. Upon arrival, we experienced the picture postcard of the house and gardens, vineyards to the front and meadows to the rear. The serenading bees and crickets, the sunshine and sweet smells of lavender – it is what dreams are made of. We were desperately in need of a week of rest and relaxation and the week provided the perfect down-time, a home away from home with every extra. Thank you for a wonderful week – we will be back.
We cannot thank David and Elizabeth enough for sharing their wonderful Provençal home, La Bergerie du Ravin, and garden with us. We had a fabulous week exploring villages, markets, kayaking and most of all, feeling at home around the pool each afternoon – followed by the pleasure of nightjars catching moths at night. Lourmarin is a fabulous town with a large market on Fridays spread around beautiful streets full of boutiques to explore. Cucuron has a Tuesday market – it is modest in size, but worth a visit for the plane trees. Saignon is a lovely hillside village. There are great views from the village and the approach roads. We also had a great time exploring the woods and surrounding gardens.
After a lovely week at La Bergerie du Ravin, we left relaxed and happy. The house is brilliantly well-equipped and every need is catered for, particularly for very young children. The pool and all the outside furniture is perfect for a week spent mainly outside. Emmanuelle looked after us in every respect and the evening meal catering, which we enjoyed on five of our days, was excellent. We particularly recommend St. Martin de la Brasque and Cucuron for their markets. We also went wine tasting at Domaine La Blaque. But most of all, a lovely holiday in a quiet and beautiful place.
La Bergerie du Ravin is a lovely holiday villa situated in peaceful and tranquil surroundings and well positioned to explore the Luberon area. Have no hesitation in recommending it to others who enjoy this part of France.
A delightful house which captures the spirit of Provence. We spent as much time as we could soaking up the atmosphere of this haven of tranquillity. Very much enjoyed the paintings throughout the house. Un véritable coup de coeur!
Beautiful villa in a splendidly isolated position with lovely gardens, grounds and views. Well-equipped house and kitchen with a fine heated pool. An excellent refurbishment to a very good standard in one of our favourite parts of Provence. We would visit again.
Our choice of French properties is diverse, ranging from simple charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal.
To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
There's no better way to while away leisurely holiday hours than by visiting the many Provençal villages with their cobbled streets and cafes. Hilltop towns glow in pale golden stone, surrounded by vineyards, olive groves and fields of fragrant purple lavender. From celebrated Gordes to charming Eygalières, each town has a market to help you discover local produce, or treat yourself to a long lazy lunch; from pavement cafes to Michelin stars, the midday meal in France is nothing short of an art form.
The cities of Avignon, Orange, Nîmes and Arles offer an architecturally rich and cultural day out but try to make time for lesser-known gems like Vaison la Romaine, Uzès and Ile sur la Sorgue for a less crowded but equally impressive picture of the history of the region.
A day at the beach is always an option but you can find other open water options closer to home, from child-friendly paddling in the River Gardon below le Pont du Gard, to kayaking down La Sorgue as it winds its way through the Luberon. Close to Avignon, Lac de Monteux has a lifeguarded beach and various water activities for all ages.
This is a destination to rival any other. Complemented by our selection of handpicked villas we can help you make the most of your luxury holiday in Provence.
Explore our pre-bookable experiences in Provence
BookingMultiple.mustache file to be converted
View holiday Booking Conditions