In this section...
- Elegant country house
- Extensive private grounds
- Adapted to suit couples and small families
- Near to St Emillon
- Shop and restaurant within walking distance
Our 2022 holidays are now available to reserve online. For more information, visit our Advance Registration page.
In selected weeks outside the peak season, the owners of this elegant maison bourgeoise near St Emilion allow smaller groups to enjoy the splendour of country house living by closing off two of its four bedrooms. Guests can request which two bedrooms they would like to use for the duration of their stay; a flexible approach which makes it the perfect place for couples and smaller families to gather and experience the joys of this impressive home.
Surrounded by timeless countryside and set in its own extensive private grounds, Petit Chinon is a haven of quiet sophistication; spacious, tastefully finished both inside and out, with numerous spots to sit and idle away the days in peace and seclusion. The recently remodelled living and kitchen space is at the heart of the home, a natural hub to gather and recount the highlights of the day and plan a little local exploration.
Although the atmosphere is one of splendid isolation, Petit Chinon is by no means cut off, with a number of small shops and restaurants a pleasant walk away and some lovely local cycle routes for wider exploration. St Emilion and the market towns of Bergerac, Ste Foy la Grande, Castillon la Bataille and of course Bordeaux, are all within easy striking distance by car, and golf, wine tasting, horse riding and more are also readily available if the mood should take you. But it’s perfectly permissible to arrive at Petit Chinon, stretch out in a hammock or by the pool, and ignore it all. The alfresco dining area is ideal for long lunches and candlelit dinners and after a sun-soaked day in the garden, it’s very tempting to sit back and do absolutely nothing at all.
For further information on days out and things to do in the local area, please refer to our Clos de Chinon page.
- 2 bedroom villa (sleeps 2-4)
- Guests can chose two bedrooms, the other two will be closed off
- Living/dining area with TV (English-speaking news channels)
- Kitchen with oven, hob, microwave, fridge-freezer, dishwasher, washing machine
- Double bedroom (round designer bed) with en-suite bathroom
- Master bedroom (4-poster bed) with en-suite bathroom
- 2 double bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms
- Complimentary WiFi
- Iron and ironing board provided
- Cots, highchairs and fold-away beds available for infants/children
- Hosts, Barbara and Jonathan, live on the estate but remain discreet
- Smoking is not permitted in the house
- Pets are not permitted
- Outside shaded dining area
- Barbecue area and pizza oven
- Private swimming pool 11 x 5m, fenced with security gate, alarm
- For further information on Terms and Conditions specific to this French property please click here
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails. We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
- Activities close by cycling, golf, horse riding, golf, wine-tasting
- Restaurants/shops (Gensac) 1km
- Beaches (Cap Ferret/Arcachon) 2hr drive
- Bergerac airport 42 km
- Bordeaux airport 77 km
- St Malo ferry 579 km
- Calais ferry terminal 915 km
The property was delightful, as were the kind, thoughtful and helpful owners. The generous welcome box was amazing. Even with less-than-perfect weather, there was enough space and plenty of toys in this wonderfully quirky house to entertain us all. Our special dinner provided by our former-chef hosts was a highlight, as were the patient cats who endured the (gentle) attentions of our small grandchildren without complaint! This part of France is not overwhelmed by tourism, but there was plenty of interest nearby, which added so much to the experience. Our three-generation holiday was a great success all round.
Susanne – June 2019
Our choice of French properties is diverse, ranging from simple charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal.
To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
From the Dordogne’s forest-covered hillsides to the undulating countryside of Lot-et-Garonne, these fertile landscapes have long played their part in human history – the famous Lascaux cave paintings testify to that. For a taste of spectacular coastline on your holiday, head to Charente-Maritime or find a lakeside beach that’s perfect for a picnic – this region is known for its abundant food and excellent wines. Choose a restaurant in an ancient village square and enjoy the sense of history repeated.
And for a place to stay in Dordogne and the South West, explore our collection of luxury villas.
View holiday Booking Conditions