In this section...
- Village location in La Couarde-sur-Mer
- Tasteful contemporary design
- Heated swimming pool
- South-facing courtyard garden
- Beach 5min walk
Minimum 14-night stay... between 16 July and 20 August 2022.
La Couarde-sur-Mer claims the crown as Ile de Ré’s oldest little seaside resort, and we’re delighted to bring you one of its newest residents in the shape of beautiful Villa Phénix. Built in 2020, this elegant contemporary home is just a 5-minute walk from the beach, the sailing club and the market, a perfect location for a relaxing beach break.
The house has been thoughtfully designed as a real summer home-from-home, with three main bedrooms, a charming bunk room for kids and four sleek bathrooms. The light-filled main living room area opens directly to the courtyard, and there are two further small patios, one with table football and the other with a couple of deckchairs just crying out for someone to slide into them and spend a few precious hours lost in a great book.
Being so close to town and the beach means everyone can come and go as they please without the need for a car, always a bonus for a party of mixed ages or interests. The other great attraction here is the south-facing walled courtyard garden, giving you 170m2 of outdoor space to sunbathe, snooze and enjoy sundowners with friends. This part of Ile de Ré is renowned for its wines, and a chilled white or rosé from vineyards that you can cycle or even walk to makes a wonderful accompaniment to dinner chez vous beneath the stars. And if the spring or late summer days feel a little cool after dark, Villa Phénix is equally appealing inside, tastefully decorated with bar stools lined up in the kitchen to encourage company for whoever is cooking, and a fabulous table for ten so you can all eat together.
La Couarde village (300m) is typical of the island, with pretty, flower-filled streets and all the shops and facilities you could want during your stay, from practical supermarkets to a proper fishmonger. There are little artsy boutiques for browsing and two markets for picnic supplies with zero food miles. Your nearest beaches are Pergola (400m) and Plage du Peu Ragot (500m), the latter with a lifeguard in high summer and both with cafes and watersports during the main season. You’ll find a good choice of restaurants in La Couarde, and a vineyard at Domaine Arica on the edge of the village where you can taste the local vintages before you buy. For younger guests there’s also a summer funfair, skate park and a puppet theatre, and a watersports centre at Goisil. The mid-island location of La Couarde means everything is easily reachable by bike or car, from the capital St Martin (6km) to the salt marshes around Loix (5km) and possibly the loveliest sandy beaches anywhere in France.
- 4 bedroom villa (sleeps 2-8)
- Open plan kitchen/living/dining room with wood-burner and doors to garden; TV with French channels; Bluetooth speaker
- Kitchen includes oven, hob, microwave, 2 fridges, 2 freezers, dishwasher and Nespresso coffee machine
- Master double bedroom (160cm bed) with en suite bath, shower and WC
- Shower room
- Guest WC
- Open-tread staircase leads to first floor (children to be supervised at all times)
- 2 double bedrooms (140cm beds)
- Bunk room with 1 set of children's bunk beds (suitable for ages 6 -12), en suite bathroom with hand-held shower
- Bathroom with shower
- Small office space
- Complimentary WiFi
- Cot and highchair available
- Iron, ironing board, hairdryer, pool and bath towels provided
- Washing machine
- South-facing courtyard garden plus 2 side patios
- Outside dining table
- Table football
- Small private swimming pool 7m x 2.5m, access via 4 steps
- Not recommended for children under 8 due to open-tread staircases
- Parking for 2-3 cars (one garage space plus on-street parking in front of the villa)
- Bookings are for a minimum of 14 nights between mid-July and the third week of August
For further information on Terms and Conditions specific to this French property please click here
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails*
* We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
Villa access times
- Check-in time – 5.00-7.00pm
- Late arrival supplement of €50 for arrivals after 7.00pm (latest arrival time 10.00pm)
- Check-out time – 10.00am
La Rochelle 25min drive (19km)
- Ferry ports
St Malo 345km
- TGV stations
La Rochelle 35min drive (28km)
- Beach 5min walk (400m)
- La Couarde-sur-Mer village centre 3min walk (300m)
- St Martin de Ré 15min cycle ride (5km)
Below are some flight options for Ile de Ré. All schedules and routes are subject to change, so please check with the airlines when planning your journey.
|Departure airport||Airline||Flight days||Seasonality|
|London Gatwick||easyJet||Saturday||13 Jun – 19 Sep|
|Manchester||Jet2||Saturday||23 May – 19 Sep|
|London Stansted||Ryanair / Jet2||Saturday||All season|
|Leeds||Jet2||Saturday||23 May – 19 Sep|
|Bristol||easyJet||Saturday||27 Jun – 29 Aug|
Our choice of French properties is diverse, ranging from simple charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal.
To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
Described as the Pearl of the Atlantic, Ile de Ré has long since been on the radar of upmarket Parisians, sailors and sophisticates, famed for the beauty of its contrasting landscapes and the refined elegance of its towns and villages. The island’s ease of access and well-marked cycle trails afford a realistic opportunity for a car-free holiday and with 100km of glorious unspoilt coastline, a micro-climate that makes it one of the sunniest regions in France and a way of life that celebrates nature and conservation, this chic little island is an enchanting destination for beach-lovers, foodies and anyone looking to embrace the great outdoors.
View holiday Booking Conditions