In this section...
- Character beachfront villa
- Exceptional location
- Stylish and contemporary
- Sea views
- Short walk to restaurants and shops
Laden with seaside charm, Les Goélands sits just metres from the waves at Claouey on the Cap Ferret peninsula. Dating back to the 1930s, when the only access was by boat, the villa was updated to its current contemporary style in 2014, using natural materials and marine colours to complement the beautiful bay views. Much has changed in the area since the 1930s, but the privileged location remains unchallenged, so you can enjoy access to the beach directly from the front garden and uninterrupted views of the sea beyond. When the tide is high the water reaches close to the garden edge; truly les pieds dans l’eau as the expression goes, and a wonderful spot for bird watchers, nature lovers and anyone drawn to the hypnotising ebb and flow of the sea.
The villa belongs to the grandchildren of its original owner, and has witnessed many happy family gatherings over the years. With four bedrooms, there’s space for several generations to get together in comfort, and plenty to do in the local area to keep everyone entertained.
The local area
Cap Ferret is a picturesque, pine-covered peninsula sandwiched between the fine beaches and dunes of the Atlantic coast and the gentle waters of the bay of Arcachon. The house is located on the bay front at Claouey, with small shops and restaurants within a five to ten-minute walk. Claouey beach club runs children’s activities and swim lessons in July and August, with sailing courses available nearby all summer long.
Cycle trails connect Claouey to the Atlantic beaches and along the peninsula into Cap Ferret village itself (15 kilometres), where you’ll find chic shops to browse. The ambience is relaxed and appreciative of good living, evidenced by the abundance of oyster sellers, fishmongers and waterfront restaurants that make a stay here so deliciously civilised. From Cap Ferret you can take a boat tour of the oyster beds, catch the ferry to Arcachon or hop onto the little train that trundles out to the rather spectacular L’Horizon beach on the Atlantic coast. Continuing down the headland, you can climb to the top of Cap Ferret lighthouse, with fine views over the Dune du Pilat, Europe’s highest sand dune.
From fresh oysters to fine wines, this chic coastal corner of Aquitaine is foodie heaven. Enjoy a tour and tasting visit one of the many Médoc vineyards, and allow yourselves at least half a day to wander the medieval old town, swish restaurants and glossy wine shops of UNESCO-listed St Emilion, synonymous with some of France’s most celebrated producers and vintages. Bordeaux (50 kilometres) also boasts World Heritage status plus a state-of-the-art wine exhibition in the city centre, and an up-beat, contemporary atmosphere that contrasts most appealingly with its extravagant pre-Revolution architecture. And if you find yourself needing to work off some of the excesses of lunch, a climb up the Dune du Pilat (get there by water taxi) will do the trick.
- 4 bedroom villa (sleeps 2-6)
- Garden room
- Open-plan living/dining area with small TV, fireplace
- Well-equipped kitchen with oven, hob, microwave, coffee-maker, fridge-freezer, dishwasher, washing machine and dryer
- Double bedroom (160cm bed) with en-suite shower room
- Double bedroom (140cm bed)
- Triple bedroom (3 x 90cm beds) with 2 of the beds on a mezzanine level (children over 4 years only)
- Shower room
- Double bedroom (160cm bed) at the back of the villa with en-suite shower room and WC (separate entrance via terrace)
- Complimentary WiFi
- Iron, ironing board, hairdryer, pool and bath towels
- Cot and high chair available
- Decked terrace
- Direct beach access
- Non-smoking house
- No pets allowed
- Private parking for two cars
- Local activities include surfing, windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, cycling, horse-riding, fishing, spa and thalassotherapy, adrenaline park
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails*
* We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
- Bed linen, bath and pool towels are provided
- Weekly change of linen, bath and pool towels for bookings of one week or more
- Light mid-stay clean for bookings of two weeks or more
- Final cleaning
- Optional extras (payable locally- costs are estimates only): cleaning €20/hour; babysitting €15/hour; boat hire please enquire
- Ferry ports
St Malo 600km
- TGV stations
- Claouey beach (bottom of the garden)
- Restaurants/supermarket/bakery (Claouey village) 5min walk (500m)
- Seafood market 12min walk (1km)
- Le Cap Ferret 20min drive (15km)
- Bordeaux airport 40min drive (45km)
Although this property is booked on an accommodation-only basis, we can arrange your flights for an extra charge of £25 per person, plus the cost of the flights themselves.
Below are the flight options available, including the most convenient airports in France to help you reach your destination as quickly and easily as possible.
Bordeaux 45km/40min drive
|Departure airport||Airline||Flight days||Seasonality|
|London Gatwick||British Airways||Saturday||All season|
|London Gatwick||easyJet||Saturday||All season|
|London Luton||easyJet||Saturday||All season|
|Liverpool||easyJet||Saturday||12 May - 1 Sep|
|Belfast||easyJet||Saturday||12 May - 1 Sep|
|Edinburgh||Ryanair||Saturday||31 Mar - 27 Oct|
|Southampton||Flybe||Saturday||26 May - 25 Aug|
|Birmingham||Flybe||Saturday||31 Mar - 2 Sep|
Biarritz 200km/2hr 20min drive
|Departure airport||Airline||Flight days||Seasonality|
|London Stansted||Ryanair||Saturday||All season|
|Birmingham||Flybe||Saturday||25 May - 31 Aug|
|Southampton||Flybe||Saturday||25 May - 31 Aug|
|London Gatwick||Easyjet||Saturday||01 June - 21 Sep|
Our choice of French properties is diverse, ranging from simple charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal.
To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
Chic Cap Ferret alone would be enough to satisfy the most discerning beach seeker, but there’s so much more to unwrap. An afternoon wandering the enchanting oyster villages, marvelling at the opulence of Arcachon’s Ville d’Hiver or treating little ones to an afternoon at the aquapark make this a uniquely unforgettable holiday experience. Take in a sunrise from the top of the magnificent Dune du Pilat or add a boat trip around the bay and the routine of normal life will seem far, far away.
Visit our collection of handpicked villas in Cap Ferret and Arcachon Bay to complete your luxury holiday on the Aquitaine Coast.
View holiday Booking Conditions