In this section...
- Wonderfully positioned home
- Set in Le Canon
- Short walk to beach and restaurants
- Great views
- Lovingly furnished
Villa de l’Océan occupies a prime spot in sought-after Le Canon, one of Cap Ferret’s celebrated oyster villages that help lend the peninsula its special character. This villa has plenty of character of its own, with a charming beach-chic feel thanks to timber-clad walls and an airy, open-plan layout. Like many in the area, the villa is built on stilts, which allows space for a beautiful heated swimming pool and a teak sunbathing deck to the rear of the house. The deck is surrounded by trees, creating a wonderfully tucked-away feeling, despite the handy proximity of Le Canon’s small shops, bars, oyster shacks, restaurants and local beach, which are all within 100-150 metres of the villa.
As beach retreats go, Villa de I’Océan is exceedingly comfortable, and furnished with great style as befits a private home. There’s plenty of space on the terrace to enjoy a meal looking out over the red rooftops of Le Canon to the bay of Arcachon beyond. From here you can watch yachts glide silently past in the bright blue of the bay, or linger over drinks as you ponder where to go for dinner. Oysters and Champagne may be a particularly grown-up pleasure, but Villa I’Océan also has great appeal for a family. The steep drive is a little challenging for a buggy, but the interiors are toddler-friendly, and older children will enjoy the freedom of cycling to the beach (three kilometres), wandering out for morning chocolatines and of course spending hours in the lovely heated pool.
The local area
The setting here is really superb, perched on the side of a hill just 100 metres from Le Canon village centre. An oyster farming centre for over 150 years, Le Canon manages that delicate balance between postcard-pretty and hard-working authenticity to create a wonderfully atmospheric place to stay. A wander around the brightly-painted wood cabins to taste the prized oysters is a classic Cap Ferret experience, and if you prefer to sit down and eat, there are a couple of restaurants in Le Canon itself, and many more to choose from in Le Cap Ferret, six kilometres away. The village has a supermarket, bakery, wine shop and tabac, whilst nearby Piraillan (one kilometre) has a daily food market open every morning throughout the summer. Le Canon has its own beach, and if you’re after some surf, the nearest Atlantic beach is Le Truc Vert, just three kilometres away along quiet avenues and forest cycle paths.
Cap Ferret is a picturesque, pine-covered peninsula sandwiched between the fine beaches and dunes of the Atlantic coast and the gentle waters of the bay of Arcachon. The whole cape is traversed by cycle paths, making it easy and relaxing to get around on two wheels, whether you’re popping into Cap Ferret village for lunch and a spot of quality shopping or heading out for lazy day at the beach.
From Cap Ferret you can take a boat tour of the oyster beds, catch the ferry to Arcachon or hop onto the little train that trundles out to the rather spectacular L’Horizon beach on the Atlantic coast. Continuing down the headland, you can climb to the top of Cap Ferret lighthouse, with fine views over the Dune du Pilat, Europe’s highest sand dune. South of the lighthouse are the famous ’44 Hectares’, an exclusive estate of private villas and home to Chez Hortense, regarded as the best restaurant in the area.
From fresh oysters to fine wines, this chic coastal corner of Aquitaine is foodie heaven. Enjoy a tour and tasting visit one of the many Médoc vineyards, and allow yourselves at least half a day to wander the medieval old town, swish restaurants and glossy wine shops of UNESCO-listed St Emilion, synonymous with some of France’s most celebrated producers and vintages. Bordeaux also boasts World Heritage status plus a state-of-the-art wine exhibition in the city centre, and an up-beat, contemporary atmosphere that contrasts most appealingly with its extravagant pre-Revolution architecture. And if you find yourself needing to work off some of the excesses of lunch, a climb up the Dune du Pilat (get there by water taxi) will do the trick.
- 4 bedroom villa (sleeps 2-6)
- Open-plan living/dining area with TV with satellite and DVD player, working fireplace
- Well-equipped kitchen with breakfast bar
- Master double bedroom with en-suite bathroom with bath, hand-held shower, basin, WC
- Two double bedrooms
- Twin bedroom
- Shower room (no WC)
- Complimentary WiFi
- Iron, ironing board, hairdryer, pool and bath towels
- Range of products for babies and children available on request (cot, highchair, bath seat, bath ring, express microwave steam steriliser, bottle drying rack, food steamer and processor, trainer seat, potty chair, DVDs and toys, pushchair, infant backpack carrier)
- Pets considered on request (must be confirmed at time of booking)
- Table tennis
- Terrace with outdoor dining and awning
- Heated gated swimming pool measuring 3m x 7m (depth 1.5m throughout), alarm
- Smoking not permitted in the villa
- Private parking space
- Access is via a steep driveway and flight of stairs, unsuitable for those with limited mobility
- Nearby activities include surfing, kitesurfing, windsurfing, sailing, water-skiing, jet-skiing, kayaking, cycling, horse riding, fishing
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails*
* We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
- Bed linen, bath and pool towels are provided
- Weekly change of linen, bath and pool towels for bookings of one week or more
- Light mid-stay clean for bookings of two weeks or more
- Final cleaning
- Ferry ports
St Malo 600km
- TGV stations
- Beach (Bassin Beach) 2min walk (150m)
- Restaurants/bakery (Bassin Beach) 3min walk (250m)
- Oyster Cabanes 3min walk (300m)
- Piraillan market (daily July-August, otherwise Saturdays) 10min walk (800m)
- Le Cap Ferret 8min drive (6km)
Although this property is booked on an accommodation-only basis, we can arrange your flights for an extra charge of £25 per person, plus the cost of the flights themselves.
Below are the flight options available, including the most convenient airports in France to help you reach your destination as quickly and easily as possible.
Bordeaux 50km/45min drive
|Departure airport||Airline||Flight days||Seasonality|
|London Gatwick||British Airways||Saturday||All season|
|London Gatwick||easyJet||Saturday||All season|
|London Luton||easyJet||Saturday||All season|
|Liverpool||easyJet||Saturday||12 May - 1 Sep|
|Belfast||easyJet||Saturday||12 May - 1 Sep|
|Edinburgh||Ryanair||Saturday||31 Mar - 27 Oct|
|Southampton||Flybe||Saturday||26 May - 25 Aug|
|Birmingham||Flybe||Saturday||31 Mar - 2 Sep|
Biarritz 200km/2hr 20min drive
|Departure airport||Airline||Flight days||Seasonality|
|London Stansted||Ryanair||Saturday||All season|
|Birmingham||Flybe||Saturday||25 May - 31 Aug|
|Southampton||Flybe||Saturday||25 May - 31 Aug|
|London Gatwick||Easyjet||Saturday||01 June - 21 Sep|
Our choice of French properties is diverse, ranging from simple charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal.
To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
Chic Cap Ferret alone would be enough to satisfy the most discerning beach seeker, but there’s so much more to unwrap. An afternoon wandering the enchanting oyster villages, marvelling at the opulence of Arcachon’s Ville d’Hiver or treating little ones to an afternoon at the aquapark make this a uniquely unforgettable holiday experience. Take in a sunrise from the top of the magnificent Dune du Pilat or add a boat trip around the bay and the routine of normal life will seem far, far away.
Visit our collection of handpicked villas in Cap Ferret and Arcachon Bay to complete your luxury holiday on the Aquitaine Coast.
View holiday Booking Conditions