In this section...
- Beautiful stone farmhouse
- Spacious and comfortable
- Daily maid service
- Yoga and Pilates studio
- Heated pool
- Simpson family extras available
- Restaurant 7-minute drive
Advance Registration... select your dates and reserve your 2023 holiday online, with a fully refundable deposit of £500.
Nestled into the valley below Pienza, Villa Romantica lies like an island in the middle of a golden field, surrounded by beautiful gardens. Sleeping up to 12 and with a private pool and its own subterranean yoga and Pilates studio, the villa hosts retreats and workshops as comfortably and generously as it welcomes groups of friends and families enjoying holiday time together.
The building was a ruin when sisters Barbara and Sabrina found it, but with painstaking care and attention, they set about restoring the spirit of this traditional country house. They recovered bricks and tiles from fields nearby or local salvage yards and brought the oak floors, stone fireplaces and wooden-beamed ceilings back to life. Hand-painted tiles and colour-washed walls came next and antique furniture was gathered from local markets. Piece by piece, they created a comfortable, authentically Tuscan home – and a practical space for easy summer living.
In addition to the main living room with its large stone fireplace and the well-equipped farmhouse kitchen, there’s also a smaller kitchen and living room in the right wing of the house, so those staying there can enjoy their own space. The main kitchen opens out onto a large patio, where a table awaits for lunches and dinners with a view if you don’t want to eat inside. There’s also a vegetable garden to add some homegrown produce to the occasion – or a chef can do the cooking for you, as well as giving you a lesson in the fine art of Tuscan cuisine.
Near the vegetable garden, about 100m from the main building, is the spacious gym – a studio and relaxation room with a padded floor and a mirrored wall that’s ideal for classes or just your own private yoga or Pilates practice. If you book a massage (paid for locally), this is also where you’ll meet the therapist, unless you’d prefer to be outside in the lovely garden. The long, narrow pool, heated if you prefer and great for swimming lengths, is the perfect complement to a healthier week away – or just an opportunity for a cooling dip on a hot summer’s day. There are also numerous seating areas around the farmhouse, so you can always find your own space for reading or even drawing and painting the spectacular landscape laid out before you.
This being Tuscany, the surrounding area is ripe for foodies with cheese tasting in historic Pienza, just a seven-minute drive away, and wine-tasting in the world-famous Montalcino and Montelpulciano, both less than half an hour away. Perfectly picturesque Bagno Vignoni is about a 20-minute drive away. For centuries, pilgrims have stopped here on their way to Rome to enjoy the natural thermal springs – and you’re welcome to do the same, perhaps after a walk through the spectacular Val d’Orcia countryside.
- 6 bedroom villa (sleeps up to 12)
Ground floor West wing
- Open-plan dining/kitchen area, leads to covered 30m2 terrace
- Kitchen includes gas hob, electric oven, filter coffee machine, microwave, fridge-freezer, dishwasher
- Spiral staircase leads to mezzanine seating area above kitchen
- Steps from the kitchen to a sitting area with fireplace and pool table
- Double bedroom (accessed from kitchen)
- Shower room
- Double bedroom with en-suite shower room
First floor West wing
- Double bedroom with en suite bathroom and double shower room
Ground floor East wing
- Steps from main kitchen to an outdoor covered veranda leading to a large sitting room with fireplace
- Separate kitchen includes electric oven, microwave, fridge-freezer, dishwasher
- Sitting room with TV
- Double bedroom with en-suite shower room, leads to covered terrace
First floor East wing
- Master bedroom with en-suite Jacuzzi bathroom and separate shower
- Double bedroom with en-suite shower room with double shower
- Complimentary WiFi
- Air-conditioned throughout
- Daily maid service
- Cook service and cooking classes (available on request and payable locally)
- Vegetable garden
- Yoga and Pilates studio 100m from main house
- Table tennis
- Pool table
- Massage treatments and personal trainer (available on request and payable locally)
- Private swimming pool 4m x 18m (depth 1.4m – 1.8m) heated throughout the season
- Children to be supervised at all times (some walls lower than 1m, spiral staircase)
- A daily tourist tax applies for the first week of your stay only, which means that an average of €1.50 per person (12+ years) may be charged. This should be paid in cash during your stay.
- Villa Romantica has had some minor redecoration since our photos were taken, but the images are still representative of the property.
- Our Covid-19 pledge means your holiday is fully protected. However, there may be special conditions surrounding flexible booking at this property. For further details, please visit: /covid-pledge-flexible-booking.
Simpson family extras
- Complimentary cot and highchair available
- Car seats and booster seats can be provided at a supplement, subject to availability
- To pre-book any of our family extras please call 020 8392 5747
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails. We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
- Check in time – 4-8pm
- Check out time – 10am
- Pienza (shops/bars/restaurants) 7min drive
- Montichiello (shops/restaurants) 7min drive
- Bagno Vignoni 17min drive
- Montepulciano 25min drive
- Montalcino 28min drive
- Arezzo 1hr drive
- Siena 1hr 10min drive
- Perugia airport 1hr 20min drive
- Pisa airport 2hr 20min drive
This property is priced on an accommodation-only basis. To view details of recommended flights please click here.
We are happy to arrange your car hire in Italy; please click here to view options and prices. All hire cars booked with us include:
- Fully inclusive insurance, with zero excess*
- Free additional driver
When you book your car with us, we'll also make sure the paperwork is done in advance, leaving you free to simply check and sign for the vehicle when you arrive. For further information regarding travel arrangements click here.
* For this particular destination, the undercarriage is not included in the cover.
Our choice of Italian properties is diverse, ranging from simple charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal.
To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
From the moment you arrive in Tuscany, you are invited to share in its grand passions and indulgent pleasures – world-famous wine, mouth-watering food and epic histories. Each of Tuscany’s ten provinces has its own unique personality, but wherever you stay, you’ll find yourself surrounded by a verdant patchwork of olive groves, cypress trees and vineyards. From the birthplace of the Renaissance, Florence, to the narrow streets of hilltop San Gimignano, Tuscany makes for a stunning escape.
Explore our pre-bookable experiences in Tuscany
View holiday Booking Conditions